Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
A Forge Intake is almost $400.00 which is too expensive in my opinion. Plus the filter just sits in a hot engine bay so it's pulling in hot air, I purchased a Pipercross filter that replaces the one in our factory air box. The part number is PX-1999. It's actually for the European/Australian Hyundai I30 N but it fits our cars too. With shipping from the UK it only cost me $78.00 and sits in a much cooler factory air box. It's made from 3 layers of foam and has a lifetime warranty too. Just something else to think about.

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: CnH2n+2

·
Registered
83 Posts
I purchased a Pipercross filter that replaces the one in our factory air box. The part number is PX-1999. It's actually for the European/Australian Hyundai I30 N but it fits our cars too.
Would the Pipercross PX-1999 filter be better than the K&N RE-0930 filter?

If so, why?

Also, should I be worried about the engine running too lean if it gets more air through a better filter?

Max

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
Well the Pipercross is made for the Hyundai I30 N which has the same exact set up as our Veloster. Plus, Pipercross is supposed to filter better and wasn't too expensive so I decided to give it a try. They had to ship it from the UK. I think someone stumbled upon the 0930 which will work but has less surface area than the Pipercross. As far as I know K&N doesn't have a dedicated replacement for our cars yet and Pipercross has had it since the Hyundai I30 N came out as it's the same exact filter we would use.

No, the ECU will adjust for it. Absolutely no worries there. Good luck with whatever you go with.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
Your welcome, Max. I love helping people with their cars. I have been working on them since I was 6 years old and now and a ripe old age of 48. lol...

They also make a PX-1999DRY, the regular PX-1999 is an oiled filter like a K&N is. If you live in a dusty area the PX-1999 is probably a better option. I am on the fence on dry filters since they let in more fine dust than an oiled one does. As long as you don't over oil them, your golden. A lot of the I30 N guys overseas use the Pipercross filter. I am very happy I stumbled upon it.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Would the Forge Motorsport intake and intercooler combo require a tune as well? Or would it be safe to run with no tune?

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
You CAN run those with out a tune. I did in a 2014 2.0L Ford Fusion Turbo until I got a tune for at least 6 months. The ECU will adjust everything properly after so many miles. Some cars are different than others. As a rule of thumb I am easy on new mechanical modifications for about 200 to 300 miles. This is just me... Some people will go much less than that. I am just a paranoid guy. lol... With a tune though those mods become much more important. I do like the Forge intake besides the way the filter is in the very hot engine bay. I would love to see the piping like the one on the Forge but with an enclosed box that draws in fresh air instead. I am sure we will get this at some point and until a solution like this comes out I will never spend 400 bucks on a hot air intake. The IAT temps will be too high and any benefit of additional air flow is negated by high IAT temps. The ECU will just take away timing anyway. Don't waste the cash on that design. Either get a better filter that fits in the stock air box or wait for a better design. Honestly, a Pipercross filter in the stock air box with smooth piping would be just about ideal. Hope this helps.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Yeah I wasn't a huge fan of the open air filter myself. I will probably be waiting like you for a much better closed filter design. I am more than happy with the car as it sits (stock) so I have no problem waiting for something I'm happy with. Mostly asked the question to see what people think about how this car will accept mods without tunes because I feel like with the 10/100 warranty people will be a little more conservative with the decision to tune or not.

Thanks for the input!

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
If you do a tune your best bet is a piggyback tune if you are concerned about the warranty. RaceChip has 3 different configurations that net great gains and isn't detected by the dealer. If you tune through the OBD port it will register in the ECU and the dealer can tell it had a tune even with it back to stock. With a piggyback tune you just unhook a couple of wires and install them back into the sensors without the piggyback wires. That's it. Really easy and totally undetectable.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Gotcha, are these piggyback tunes able to tune for specific mods? Or is it possible for them to be dyno tuned? Or are the piggybacks more of just a general tune?

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
Here, take a look at this.

https://www.racechip.us/shop/hyundai/veloster-ii-from-2018/2-0-n-performance-1998ccm-275hp-202kw-260lb-ft.html

There are different maps you can use as you mod the car. You just do it with the twist of a flat head screwdriver. These types of tunes are the only ones we can use if you want to retain the factory warranty. The ECU has a flash counter on it and with a piggyback tune it does not re write the maps in the ECU. They basically trick the ECU into providing more boost. There are 5 to 7 different levels. I will probably end up with the 299 or 399 unit. I'm just concerned with the clutch with the added power and torque. They are 100 percent undetectable. : )

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
Interesting! I will probably end up with the 399 unit some day.

Will something as simple as a BOV, Intake, Intercooler void the warranty?

If so, I wonder if Hyundai has any plans to offer these through the N division that would then keep the warranty in tact.

I could see these cars getting close to 400hp, with some pretty basic bolt ons. Maybe 400 is a little bit of a stretch but I do think 350 is attainable.

If only these things were AWD :surprise:

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
You can have a cold air intake, and better intercooler but a BOV will void the warranty. Personally, I think that sucks. I want a better BOV to fricking bad!!!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
241 Posts
You can have a cold air intake, and better intercooler but a BOV will void the warranty. Personally, I think that sucks. I want a better BOV to fricking bad!!!

Best regards,

-Mike
Yeah that's a little silly! Although, if you really wanted a BOV you could just make sure the dealer never sees it :devil:

Injen just finished a prototype intake which will come enclosed so it does draw fresh air.
Hopefully we can see it soon, and hopefully its a little more affordable than what's out there right now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
A quick hose disconnect and 4 bolts later, the dealer never knows... :devil:

Also, new to the brand/car question: Is the VN identical to the i30N? So anything that will fit the i30N will 100% fit the VN?

1 - 20 of 73 Posts