Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finally Installed the rear cam of my 2 channel BlackVue dashcam with a parking mode power pack. I figured id make a post with a couple images and tips for anyone that may come along and not have installed a dashcam in a hatch before their VN.

i don’t have any astounding advice for the front camera; i just ran the power wire from the rear view mirror to the driver side pillar and down through the side of the dash panels to the fuses. Idon’t recall the fuses I used for temporary and permanent power, but I can update or comment if anyone is curious.

for running the cable to the back camera, I simply ran it along the driver side via the door seals, around the pillar, the back port window, and to the back of the back pillar. once the cable was there, is where some tips can help. From the back pillar, you should run the cable through the roof and into the rubber grommet/hose.

I accomplished this by first unsealing the rubber by pinching a side and pulling up. With that up, i pulled down gently on the interior roof so I can push the wire end until I could see it through the hole, and using a small pair of needle nose pliers to pull the cable up through. Then I secured my cable tip to a zip tie with some tape, and fed it through the rubber hose to reach the hatch door.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Tire Boat

now, ready to get the cable to the center of the window, i removed the center trim panel from the hatch. There are a couple of slits on the edge of the trim between it and the paint that I inserted a plastic trim tool into and pulled the panel straight away. The driver side was easier, so I popped that side and just used my hands to go along and unpop the rest of the center trim.
with the center piece off, there is access to a screw that needs removed to flex the side trim piece.
Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Windshield Auto part

with the screw out, the piece can be gently pulled on to reveal the next point you want to feed the cable to. Use the Pliers again if needed to get the wire through the hole in the hatch. Now everything is just feeding more cable and centering / mounting your camera! And then putting everything back together.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Family car Auto part

Looking back, I wished I had done a video or something, but hopefully this helps someone none the less.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Great job I just installed my rear camera for my setup as well. I attached it to the plastic instead of glass to get a more wide angle view, but its similar. Great job man. I must say, I like the exhaust pops from the rear camera.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great job I just installed my rear camera for my setup as well. I attached it to the plastic instead of glass to get a more wide angle view, but its similar. Great job man. I must say, I like the exhaust pops from the rear camera.
I had not even thought of mounting to the plastic. That’s a good idea, as I’m sure the field of view would be improved. As long as they see behind and record, thats what counts. I’m excited to heave the rear audio for a track day next year!

if your setup has anything like parking mode, what fuses did you use for always on and temporary on for the camera? I believe I used the dome light and Media fuses.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The heated seats are constant.... I was surprised by that, but it never shut off, and I confirmed with my DVM, I'll find what I tapped for switched power, but it was near the top right side. . I have not bought the back up battery thing as I have no need for it.. yet. Edit, skipped to the part where I see my Dentist in his F Type Jag, he says he want to run to see how she does....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, JW-VN

I just bought a 2 channel dash cam recently. I'm planning on hot wiring it with parking mode, if you don't mind I would like to know which fuse you use for the temporary and permanent power for your setup. Thank in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, JW-VN

I just bought a 2 channel dash cam recently. I'm planning on hot wiring it with parking mode, if you don't mind I would like to know which fuse you use for the temporary and permanent power for your setup. Thank in advance.

Hi! Congrats on your dash cam, and take your time installing 😁 I’ll attach a picture of my fuses I have on my phone, but I don’t want to go outside to exactly reference what each fuse slot was since its very cold out. Red accessory should be temporary power and yellow is constant battery. Hopefully this reply comes out ok as I’m on mobile and the forum experience on mobile is not great 😂

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N DCT
82 Posts
I was thinking about taping in to the power that is already in the rear view mirror. Is there any reason why I should not use it? I am just trying to make it easier but if it is not going to be able to handle this I will run it over to the fuse box. I am thinking about using this for a camera and a radar detector.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N w/DCT
26 Posts
Today I finally Installed the rear cam of my 2 channel BlackVue dashcam with a parking mode power pack. I figured id make a post with a couple images and tips for anyone that may come along and not have installed a dashcam in a hatch before their VN.

i don’t have any astounding advice for the front camera; i just ran the power wire from the rear view mirror to the driver side pillar and down through the side of the dash panels to the fuses. Idon’t recall the fuses I used for temporary and permanent power, but I can update or comment if anyone is curious.

for running the cable to the back camera, I simply ran it along the driver side via the door seals, around the pillar, the back port window, and to the back of the back pillar. once the cable was there, is where some tips can help. From the back pillar, you should run the cable through the roof and into the rubber grommet/hose.

I accomplished this by first unsealing the rubber by pinching a side and pulling up. With that up, i pulled down gently on the interior roof so I can push the wire end until I could see it through the hole, and using a small pair of needle nose pliers to pull the cable up through. Then I secured my cable tip to a zip tie with some tape, and fed it through the rubber hose to reach the hatch door.

View attachment 3416

now, ready to get the cable to the center of the window, i removed the center trim panel from the hatch. There are a couple of slits on the edge of the trim between it and the paint that I inserted a plastic trim tool into and pulled the panel straight away. The driver side was easier, so I popped that side and just used my hands to go along and unpop the rest of the center trim.
with the center piece off, there is access to a screw that needs removed to flex the side trim piece.
View attachment 3417
with the screw out, the piece can be gently pulled on to reveal the next point you want to feed the cable to. Use the Pliers again if needed to get the wire through the hole in the hatch. Now everything is just feeding more cable and centering / mounting your camera! And then putting everything back together.

View attachment 3418

Looking back, I wished I had done a video or something, but hopefully this helps someone none the less.
You remember where is your ground point, I looked on my and don’t know where I would connect my ground cable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts