Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking to find some measurements on what the minimum inner wheel diameter be. I'm looking for a square set of 18s that will fit over the stock PP brake calipers. From my rough measurements, the radius of the center to the edge of the front brake caliper is about 20cm. So 40cm for the diameter, plus 6-10mm for the gap clearance (just to be on the safe side). So the minimum inner diameter would be ~41cm (about 16.15 inches). Does that sound about right to you all?

·
Registered
44 Posts
That sounds about right to me. I haven't seen wheel manufacturers advertise inner barrel diameters, so you'd probably have a hard time using that info if you're online shopping. That said, I'm pretty sure any 18" wheel will fit (notwithstanding width and offset considerations of course).

As a reference point I run 17s on track. I inquired with the wheel manufacturer to confirm fit on the PP brakes before buying. They said they'd fit, and they do, though clearance is very tight. Probably 1mm or less at the caliper. No scrapes or rubs despite the low clearance. The close proximity must put extra heat into the wheel and tire while on track, however. No issues so far but I'm monitoring it.

On street I'd say there's nothing to worry about with 6mm clearance or even a little less.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds about right to me. I haven't seen wheel manufacturers advertise inner barrel diameters, so you'd probably have a hard time using that info if you're online shopping. That said, I'm pretty sure any 18" wheel will fit (notwithstanding width and offset considerations of course).

As a reference point I run 17s on track. I inquired with the wheel manufacturer to confirm fit on the PP brakes before buying. They said they'd fit, and they do, though clearance is very tight. Probably 1mm or less at the caliper. No scrapes or rubs despite the low clearance. The close proximity must put extra heat into the wheel and tire while on track, however. No issues so far but I'm monitoring it.

On street I'd say there's nothing to worry about with 6mm clearance or even a little less.
6mm is for the diameter. It's actually 3mm clearance from the wheel to the brake caliper is what I want for the minimum.

Some wheels have a drop center, aka the smallest diameter of the inner wheel. Luckily the seller for the wheels I want is flexible, and they are willing to send one wheel for me to check fitment and send the rest after I verify fitment. That way shipping won't eat into money.

·
Registered
17 Posts

What wheels you are running in 17s?

·
Registered
44 Posts
6mm is for the diameter. It's actually 3mm clearance from the wheel to the brake caliper is what I want for the minimum.

Some wheels have a drop center, aka the smallest diameter of the inner wheel. Luckily the seller for the wheels I want is flexible, and they are willing to send one wheel for me to check fitment and send the rest after I verify fitment. That way shipping won't eat into money.
Sounds like you have a good seller!

What wheels you are running in 17s?
I have Motegi MR145s 17x8.5 et42 wheels for track. I also run 17" winter wheels, Fast FC04 17x8 et45. Both are flow formed and cheap, good traits for wheels that are bound to get beat up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like you have a good seller!

I have Motegi MR145s 17x8.5 et42 wheels for track. I also run 17" winter wheels, Fast FC04 17x8 et45. Both are flow formed and cheap, good traits for wheels that are bound to get beat up.
However, my new concern now is the offset. The wheels I orders are +35mm, which may affect handling. I plan on just using these for winter/snow tires so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Probably get some knoenigs with similar oem offset when next spring comes around.

·
Registered
44 Posts
All I can add there is that the switch from stock et55 to et42 actually felt pretty good in terms of steering weight. Its not a perfect comparison because tires obviously changed at the same time (Hankook RS4s 245/40), but I can say I was concerned about the effect on scrub radius and was pleasantly surprised at the overall feel with the new wheels.

Be careful with width though, I think you will need camber with a wheel wider than 8.5" and offset of around 40-45 or less. I run -2.25deg front camber and could probably still gain a come out a few mms in offset before contact. I may even have room at the fender for 9" width at the same offset but I think I'd contact the strut. I'm using camber bolts btw.

What are your wheel specs?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All I can add there is that the switch from stock et55 to et42 actually felt pretty good in terms of steering weight. Its not a perfect comparison because tires obviously changed at the same time (Hankook RS4s 245/40), but I can say I was concerned about the effect on scrub radius and was pleasantly surprised at the overall feel with the new wheels.

Be careful with width though, I think you will need camber with a wheel wider than 8.5" and offset of around 40-45 or less. I run -2.25deg front camber and could probably still gain a come out a few mms in offset before contact. I may even have room at the fender for 9" width at the same offset but I think I'd contact the strut. I'm using camber bolts btw.

What are your wheel specs?
Specs are 18x8.5 and offset of +35mm. I plan on using tires that's makes the diameter as close as oem. I rather not mess with the camber if I can help it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A guy somewhat local runs 18x8.5 et35 Superspeed RF03RR with 225/40r18 tires. He told me he had to go to about 2.5 deg camber to clear, though I suspect you could get away with 2 deg.

One set of camber bolts will reach 2-2.5 deg.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A guy somewhat local runs 18x8.5 et35 Superspeed RF03RR with 225/40r18 tires. He told me he had to go to about 2.5 deg camber to clear, though I suspect you could get away with 2 deg.

One set of camber bolts will reach 2-2.5 deg.
Is it due to the tires rubbing against the outer/upper fenders?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts