Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
304 Posts
What is interesting is the the "little" spoiler on the VN is properly engineered to provide the proper amount of downforce for track use. Like has been stated, a car is something personal and how a person customizes it is their taste and style. My wife kind of jumped on me when I was going to black-out the emblems and name...like I did on my Genesis. She just left for the store...

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
276 Posts
What is interesting is the the "little" spoiler on the VN is properly engineered to provide the proper amount of downforce for track use. Like has been stated, a car is something personal and how a person customizes it is their taste and style. My wife kind of jumped on me when I was going to black-out the emblems and name...like I did on my Genesis. She just left for the store...
No doubt HYUNDAI and BIERMANN did extensive aero testing to develop a good spoiler for aerodynamic benefit with given shape and spring rate.

I asked SoCal garage in en email last week if they did wind tunnel testing with their spoiler and they said they didn’t cause wind tunnel testing is so expensive per hour.

THere are two spoilers that do increase downforce on the VN that are used in racing conditions and have been tested on track in Korea. They are the APR wing mounted w custom brackets and another CF spoiler made by a company in KOREA and only sold there.

I have spoke to a few guys in Korea and the difference in which spoiler is chosen depends on the tracks and circuits racing vs daily driving. The track guys obviously go with the bigger wing and the daily guys go with the smaller wing and less downforce and drag but still an added benefit to the N confirmed in testing.

the main reason I think HYUNDAI didn’t do a traditional big rear wing is because it would of turned off so many people to the car. So many people do not like the “RICE” look and i think the spoiler they chose looks good and works as a package.

For me, however, I am looking forward to getting a CF rear wing!!

-JE

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Absolutely, it's the difference between one that is engineered with aesthetics and function vs one that is made without the consideration. Down force has been calculated and matched to the VN aerodynamics by N-Performance engineers utilizing the VN at high speeds on the Nurburgring with the N-Performance Wing.

No one has any idea how the SC Garageworks wing would affect actual overall performance, aerodynamics and handling of the VN. At speed wings in general change handling characteristics. So the SC Garageworks wing has been primarily designed for its visual value and performance as an after thought. For me it's an easy choice and I'll go with the ARDO wing, because the N-Performance is to expensive and the SC Garageworks is untested for performance (aerodynamics or handling).

If I decided to spend $2500.00 it will be the N-Performance wing because it will enhance the visual aesthetics and won't hinder performance.
another CF spoiler made by a company in KOREA and only sold there.
Do you know the name of the wing? I can do the research and see what is actually available. Just because it's made in SK doesn't mean we can get it. The one that comes off the top of my head is the ARDO, because it has been wind tunnel tested, designed and utilized extensively in SK.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Absolutely, it's the difference between one that is engineered with aesthetics and function vs one that is made without the consideration. Down force has been calculated and matched to the VN aerodynamics by N-Performance engineers utilizing the VN at high speeds on the Nurburgring with the N-Performance Wing.

No one has any idea how the SC Garageworks wing would affect actual overall performance, aerodynamics and handling of the VN. At speed wings in general change handling characteristics. So the SC Garageworks wing has been primarily designed for its visual value and performance as an after thought. For me it's an easy choice and I'll go with the ARDO wing, because the N-Performance is to expensive and the SC Garageworks is untested for performance (aerodynamics or handling).

If I decided to spend $2500.00 it will be the N-Performance wing because it will enhance the visual aesthetics and won't hinder performance.
Do you know the name of the wing? I can do the research and see what is actually available. Just because it's made in SK doesn't mean we can get it. The one that comes off the top of my head is the ARDO, because it has been wind tunnel tested, designed and utilized extensively in SK.

Jeff,

I do not have the name of the company as it is in Korean. I downloaded an korean app called COUPANG and it is on sale on there but I only found it because a guy in Korea sent me the link. They sell this CF wing with a CF hood, front splitter, and side skirts.

I know it cost 1,000 American because my friend who owns the Korean tuning shop High Performance told me that I could get this one for 1,000 American (without shipping) or the APR wing with custom brackets for 2,500 American.

I spoke with SoCal garage and they said they can get me this the one in this picture for me 1,600 American.

I want to clarify that the APR wing and the one is this photo have not been wind tunnel tested as I know of but have been extensively tested on track (which is subjective).

I do know that all TCR cars run a big rear wing (looks like APR as well) - but they also have 350 Hp, diff springs, tires, etc. Therefore, the big APR wing may create more downforce for our cars in stock form but may not be ideal as we are not making the same amount of HP and also on different springs.

However - my friend from High Performance is at the track (INJE SPEEDIUM) almost every weekend w/ him and 6 other guys and they are always testing the N that are spec'd to different trims. They also do testing with The Best Lap and you can see some of their videos on YouTube.

He says to me that the APR splitter and and APR rear wing drastically improve their lap times from stock form. I know that may not be satisfying to some as it is subjective and their reduction in times could also be due to the fact that they are getting more and more practice on the track and their skills may be improving.

I will also say that on his car is a (forge intake, forge inlet pipe, forge bov, depo catless dp, apr splitter and rear wing, and AST lowering springs.) I do know that him and his crew have tested the car at various trims - at one point they had the front splitter on only - and each time they have added something they have seen a reduction in lap times. So the car was improved from the addition of lowering springs, the time was improved from the downpipe, and the laps were improved when adding the Rear Wing on top of the other previous mod's.

This supports an interview I saw with Biermann on youtube that was 1 hr long and he states "we have not made a race car, but a car you can take to the track and race.") - and later when asked about the specifics he says "if we were designing a race car we would of made it different."

From that I have concluded that if he was making a race car he would of added to it stiffer springs, lower COG, front and rear wings, etc.

I don't think someone could go wrong with one of these wings but I do think if they want the safe and tested bet than they should go w/ ADRO or the N CF wing as you mentioned Jeff as those have been extensively wind tunnel tested.

At the same time - we can glean some wisdom from people who are racing them and see what they are doing and many are running bigger rear wings and not the CF stock shape wings. We must also take that with a grain of salt as they are running a completely different package and not the stock trim package.

I hope this helps all as I am trying to be as transparent as possible.

-JE

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lets clear the air a little here. For one it was a prototype made off an image found on the internet. Secondly it was modeled off the SEMA wing not the N performance wing so please get your facts straight. Also we are redoing the entire wing from scratch and we will be bringing it down about 1 inch in height making the end plates smaller and curving them in. None of you saw this in person and the people that have know it isn't as big as the photos make it look like. But in any event we are redoing it from scratch and we are going to make improvements. Will we be testing this in the wind tunnel LOL no chance unless one of you wants to pay for it. Secondly please see the image of the wing we did see in person at SEMA is what we are going for. Is this mainly for cosmetic yes and no we will do everything we can to make it functional also. Also the ADRO wing that is coming out is going to be 1100 dollar for just the top maybe more. This is a full wing top and bottom in carbon fiber. So your getting what you pay for. There will be no copies this wing is licensed to our company and will not be available anywhere as it is privately manufactured and will only be sold by us. Our next prototype should resemble the wing debuted in 2019 at SEMA once we are done now that we know what to change.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Lets clear the air a little here. For one it was a prototype made off an image found on the internet. Secondly it was modeled off the SEMA wing not the N performance wing so please get your facts straight. Also we are redoing the entire wing from scratch and we will be bringing it down about 1 inch in height making the end plates smaller and curving them in. None of you saw this in person and the people that have know it isn't as big as the photos make it look like. But in any event we are redoing it from scratch and we are going to make improvements. Will we be testing this in the wind tunnel LOL no chance unless one of you wants to pay for it. Secondly please see the image of the wing we did see in person at SEMA is what we are going for. Is this mainly for cosmetic yes and no we will do everything we can to make it functional also. Also the ADRO wing that is coming out is going to be 1100 dollar for just the top maybe more. This is a full wing top and bottom in carbon fiber. So your getting what you pay for. There will be no copies this wing is licensed to our company and will not be available anywhere as it is privately manufactured and will only be sold by us. Our next prototype should resemble the wing debuted in 2019 at SEMA once we are done now that we know what to change. View attachment 5016
Thank you for the reply.

-JE

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lets clear the air a little here. For one it was a prototype made off an image found on the internet. Secondly it was modeled off the SEMA wing not the N performance wing so please get your facts straight. Also we are redoing the entire wing from scratch and we will be bringing it down about 1 inch in height making the end plates smaller and curving them in. None of you saw this in person and the people that have know it isn't as big as the photos make it look like. But in any event we are redoing it from scratch and we are going to make improvements. Will we be testing this in the wind tunnel LOL no chance unless one of you wants to pay for it. Secondly please see the image of the wing we did see in person at SEMA is what we are going for. Is this mainly for cosmetic yes and no we will do everything we can to make it functional also. Also the ADRO wing that is coming out is going to be 1100 dollar for just the top maybe more. This is a full wing top and bottom in carbon fiber. So your getting what you pay for. There will be no copies this wing is licensed to our company and will not be available anywhere as it is privately manufactured and will only be sold by us. Our next prototype should resemble the wing debuted in 2019 at SEMA once we are done now that we know what to change. View attachment 5016
droppin knowledge. Also can we talk about this rear bumper diffuser combo cause ooooooh weee that is sexy

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
That’s what I thought and we commented to well prior, so there are no considerations for aerodynamics and or effects on handling. Otherwise, it's purely for aesthetics “gulp!” :ROFLMAO: Good luck on selling it.

The concept VN was the same that was transported and shown at most of the the worlds large automotive shows, to highlight and display the N-Performance parts they purposed for the VN. Nothing new under the sun.

I saw the wing on the concept VN in person and it was created by Hyundai N-Performance, just as the current N-Performance wing and parts that were displayed by Hyundai. Hyundai N-Performance tossed it out in favor of the currently manufactured unit available in SK at the N-Performance Mall. Just like they tossed out the Sabelt seats, hood and several other purposed parts, due to overall cost of production involved.

They went with the present designed wing, because the concept wing was not well received by most, who thought it looked to racer boy and it also caused high speed stability problems at Nurburgring during testing and you're going to reproduce and sell it without testing. 🤣

Those are the facts from Hyundai N-Performance.

The ARDO Wing has been and will be tested aerodynamically, with the VN chassis. You can bet it will function as part of the chassis. Which makes it worth the expense, that will be hundreds less then the SC Garageworks wing.
Will we be testing this in the wind tunnel LOL no chance unless one of you wants to pay for it.
You pay for the testing, you're the manufacturer and make sure it's safe to utilize. Heck of a thing to say to prospective buyers who want to make sure it won't cause handling issues. There's some straight facts for you.

The only way to make the SC wing functional is; either take the time to wind tunnel and test on a smaller scale size or track test it at speed on track, with tape and cotton twine. There’s definitely a looming liability involved if it isn’t, especially for owners that will push the VN to its maximum speed and handling. To much drag at the rear, will cause the front end to go light and change stability, just as the larger concept wing did at Nurburgring during testing with the VN.

Love to hear some facts on how you're planning to make it functional without doing either.:ROFLMAO:(y)
This ^ is more about the money, than making a safe, tested product. Pretty sad!!!:oops:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow.. this thread is frightening. These kinds of horrors were literally one of the top reasons I went Veloster instead of WRX STI or Civiv Type R. (I feel giant wings are ugly unless its an ACTUAL racecar, that races. In legit motorsports.)

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
Of course this IS only my opinion but if I was to buy an aftermarket wing it would either be the adro wing or a factory carbon fiber one. Nothing else.... The one Chris has is very nice too but I have no idea who makes it. I think it's north of 2K too so that is really out of my $ range.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do like Chriz619 wing, but yeah... stupid cost. My Adro will be here Tuesday, Install will be Friday night or Saturday morning. Hopefully it goes better than the last wing.... With it only being the top plate and the factory bottom shelf still holding the 3rd brake light, Im not worried. Still waiting on a few goodies but the exterior is going to start coming along.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought the other socalgarageworks one that looks factory but fits like the fat girl in the back of the club in those stretchy pants that should not stretch that way. I have pulled wing a dozen times trying to get that dam thing to fit with the 3rd brake light doing little trims here or there. Its either being donated to whatever ricer around here that wants it or is going in the trash. Pulling the wing is now a 5 minute process. That Im not worried about, losing a few hundred is what I worry about now. But this next weekend we shall see.

·
Super Moderator
1,403 Posts
I bought the other socalgarageworks one that looks factory but fits like the fat girl in the back of the club in those stretchy pants that should not stretch that way.
Lol!.... So funny....

Wow, well I am NOT gonna spend the 725 now if it fits like crap. I'll just keep the factory one since it WAS designed for the car to begin with. Of course this is just my opinion....

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: utspoolup

·
Registered
135 Posts
First, I am NOT bashing SCGW, I am simply giving my inputs to the OEM carbon spoiler.

Ghost, sadly I had high hopes of it too, I do not like the large ironing boards on cars that a mild, now if you have a serious build, then in some cases I have been like..... yeah that fits. But when the only other mod you have spikey lug nuts on factory spray painted rims, chassis mounted wings or other large ironing board wings look like trash. My post, my opinion, if don't like it, go get a hug from your therapist.

When I get the ADRO and install it I need to pull the spoiler again and will pull out the other one and take photos for you but here is some of the things I will warn about up front ont he SCGW OEM carbon wing.

A) the factory 3rd brake light is a isosceles trapezoid, with the top being very narrow but it does have a straight (about 1.25") that is parallel the bottom edge. The 3rd brake light bracket for the other SCGW spoiler is a triangle with rounded corners. This makes a trash looking gap at the top of the brake light but due to rounding the bottom corners prevents it from sitting decent at all, its also about 1/8" shorter than then bottom flare of the factory light which further pushes the light at a crap angle and makes it fit together to resemble the groves cut into the side of the road to wake sleepy drivers, IE bumpy and no where near smooth.

B) the "pocket that holds the 3rd brake light in the bottom piece of the wing can not even fit the 3rd brake light. let alone the flaring the trim piece mentioned above. I heated it with a heat gun and pressed it in with the back smooth side of a spoon chisel to give it more flare, but as you do this, the piece does thin out a bit and I didnt want to punch thru, but I did get it open far enough.

C) the hole for the brake light harness and the molding on the factory tail light where the harness comes thru does not fit, not even remotely close, the not just the placement but also the diameter of the hole to make this fit. 2 minutes with a dremel and it was fixed. This was the easiest thing to resolve on this POS spoiler.

D) there is a little ledge that the factory tail light will screw into with 2 metal screws. First, there was a ton of molding/ flashing built up there that prevented the light from from going back far enough to fit and be flush with the end of the spoiler. Again, dremel time to clean up the piece, but by the time it was done (which was an hour of screwing with everything), the wall behind the light (not visible and no rain/ water concern), is paper thin, you can wiggle with in you fingers, But still. when it says OEM wing, I expect it to kind of fit together. The design knows this, as they did not drill any pilot holes and leaves that the user when actually mounting everything together.

E) The end caps.... When I got my wing these were not attached and held on with masking tape. I called and email SCGW which they do respond quickly, told me that these are usually attached, but I can just glue them on "but be sure to get it on good, as they are not sold individually" like a warning that these can fall off and you are left with a crap molding look on the outside edges of the spoiler? I asked, what glue, they recommended gorilla glue but to be careful as the stuff expands and to make sure the panels are in place and that I minimize the bleed out.

F) the piece de resistance was that the threaded studs that attaches it to the hatch are off up to 1/8" and one is minutely angled.... so it would not fit if I did not slot the factory mounting holes then touch up paint everything.

This is when I said F this **** and put it in the box and stashed it on the top shelf in the garage. I got it on sale during memorial day last year, I have a good 6 hours of screwing with it to make it at least bolt together and look decent, but at this point, like I said, I'm going to donate it to some ricer rolling around that wants it. But I would not recommend this piece at all. SCGW however does respond to messages and calls and I am sure if I did not start to fit it like I was told originally I am sure they would take it back, but I would feel bad sending it back on my own principals. But if you look at the photos on their website of the spoiler, you can see how crappy the 3rd brake light sits, the 4th 5th and 7th photo shows it well, but at least this flaring piece, it pretty straight at the top unlike the one I received but you can see how nothing is aligned right. Just noticed on the 7th photo, top right side of the spoiler as shown, you can see the masking tape where the end cap was attached like I mentioned in E, pretty funny.

I still plan to buy a few more carbon pieces from them for other things but I am personally bummed on this spoiler as if it fit, I would have loved it. But I do want a carbon/ alcantara wheel, shifter, and a few other things.

Just got back from cars and coffee where almost everyone likes the N, even just driving the street I get comments. Have to put a youtube video of it together one day. I wish I would have bought the ADRO earlier and had it mounted. I still need the hood, fenders, APR front clip and rear diffuser and still need to buy rims, but she is about done for a fun driving car with a great warranty, but eventually want to upsize the turbo and a few other things but still keep here mild. But this car is so dam fun to drive. Heading out to SLC liberty park for the car show there right now, so if any local peeps are out and about, swing by. It goes till 4PM. But being in SLC you need to wear a mask where as the Murray and Cottonwood Heights shows I was just at did not require the mask. Still keeping it in my pocket just to be safe.

Be safe out there everyone enjoy the coming great weather and I want to see where this new spoiler design ends up, as mentioned previously it is not my cup of tea, but I do like how SCGW is innovative and reworking the designs. Keep up the great work SCGW and as mentioned earlier, I will keep buying stuff from you guys.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Lol!.... So funny....

Wow, well I am NOT gonna spend the 725 now if it fits like crap. I'll just keep the factory one since it WAS designed for the car to begin with. Of course this is just my opinion....

Best regards,

-Mike
Mike there’s another that is all CF and not sold by SC Garage.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts