Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't get me wrong, I really like my N, I just hope it will be a reliable car.
After watching an episode of Marketplace here in Canada, a consumer affairs show, I'm having second thoughts on if I made the right decision on buying my N.
Hyundai doesn't look to be a company I can count on.
Only time and the reliability of the car will tell.
Not sure if this YouTube video will play in the States, but give it a try.

It's shocking how so many Hyundai and Kia cars are going up in flames.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Mate this is really old news. This is why NHTSA sued Hyundai in 2017. The recall involved 2.0 Theta Engines and 1.6 gamma II engines. You now have a 125K factory engine warranty.
Additionally, there have only be a hand full of VN's that have had engine failures and most everyone was due to owners shifting to a lower gear at WOT. They overwhelmed the electronic rev-limiter. It's also detected by EDR at the time and date of the incident and non-refutable.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend, I'm located in Canada, and for some reason we don't get Hyundai's amazing 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, we get a shitty 5 year one.
So I don't think we in Canada get a 125K factory engine warranty, probably only for the States.
So I do have some concerns.
I test drove both the N and the Type R and I preferred the N experience over the R.
All I can do is hope that my N turns out to be a very reliable car, and enjoy it every time I get behind the wheel.
The end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, and I actually do all the required maintenance before the time stated in the owners manual.
I would have a greater piece of mind if Canadians also got the ten year 100,000 mile, (160,000 km) powertrain warranty.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I traded in a 2019 Stinger GT for my N. It had a recall for potential fires. Got identified and fixed pretty quickly. I'm not particularly worried about this.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've asked three people from 3 different Hyundai dealerships why Canadians get ripped off regarding the 5 vs 10 year powertrain warranties, and not one person at any of the dealerships could give me a reason why there is such a large difference between the two countries warranties.
All I could think of is either it has something to do with different Automotive competition in the two countries, or maybe Canadians tend to keep their cars longer, vs Americans who tend to change vehicles more often, so a long warranty offered to Americans would be irrelevant, and not used.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
It's a good question, I don't really have an answer. Never found a definitive answer either. Marketing to a larger segment is as a good guess I think.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I dont think its too worrying. There's been a CLEAR shift in quality from 2017 onwards it seems like.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont think its too worrying. There's been a CLEAR shift in quality from 2017 onwards it seems like.
Let's hope so my friend.
I prefer the N over the Type R for a number of reasons.
First I found the Type R to be too large for my liking, I prefer smaller cars and the N is tge perfect size.
I found the N to be more exciting to drive.
The N sounds incredible.
Plus at my age I couldn't take the styling of the R.
I'm hoping that since Hyundai offers a 10 year powertrain warranty in the US, and they promote it as a track ready performance car, they must have a lot of confidence in the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
210 Posts
We keep all of my cars well north of 100k miles. My wife and I are exceptions I am sure. I have been very happy with my BK1 Genesis Coupe. Over 132k miles and the down pipe is the only thing I have replaced (flex joint failed finally). I believe it has to do with properly taking care of the car. I neither beat nor baby my cars, but all fluids, filters, etc. get tended to early and often. My wife has a 2013 Elantra GT. I did recently change the rear shocks and have a new filter level sensor installed, but generally her car is also wearing quite well. We had an issue with a CEL, took it in and they fixed it under warranty. No issues since. I am expecting my VN to perform well for me also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The issues seem to be entirely related to the quality of the dealerships which apparently are all over the map. I do agree that the recalls are concerning though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Marketing. The Americans had so many issues with the early Hyundai cars, they were just lumped in with the Yugo. So to start moving units, they adapted and started improving their vehicles. Nobody cared. Then they started promoting a new warranty program that was well beyond the old 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper OR 7 year/70,000 mile power train warranty options from some makers. I think there was a 5 year/50,000 mile power train option from one of the manufacturers as well.

This started moving units. And now, they’re not only stuck with it but other makers are compared to them.

I also have to wonder if there are any other legal considerations such as extended liability tied to such a long warranty out there.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Marketing. The Americans had so many issues with the early Hyundai cars, they were just lumped in with the Yugo. So to start moving units, they adapted and started improving their vehicles. Nobody cared. Then they started promoting a new warranty program that was well beyond the old 3 year/36,000 mile bumper to bumper OR 7 year/70,000 mile power train warranty options from some makers. I think there was a 5 year/50,000 mile power train option from one of the manufacturers as well.

This started moving units. And now, they’re not only stuck with it but other makers are compared to them.

I also have to wonder if there are any other legal considerations such as extended liability tied to such a long warranty out there.
I don't think the long warranty effects Hyundai much, because how many people these days keep their cars for 10 years, not very many.
The average is 6 years today.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least you get heated steering wheel and seats as standard!
Yes that's right and another Hyundai mystery, why Canadians get the heated seats and steering wheel and our American friends get left out in the cold.
Its not like all Americans live in mild climates.
This is the first time I've owned a car with a heated steering wheel, and I must say I've gotten quite fond of it, very nice on those bitterly cold days.
I should mention that you American ladies and gents are not really missing much with the heated seats, mine do not heat up as much as I'd like them to, and don't compare to the heated seats in my VW Golf Sportwagen which if I'm only wearing a shirt get too hot and need to be turned down a notch.
Not sure if I would be willing to give up the heated seats and steering wheel for the longer warranty.
It probably works out that if the car stays reliable for 5 years, then it will continue to do so for another 5 years if properly maintained.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
210 Posts
Cloth seats are neither cold nor hot. That is why I like them. My wife's leather seats need the heaters in the winter and they still get hot in the summer. Keep it low budget for me and I am happy.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cloth seats are neither cold nor hot. That is why I like them. My wife's leather seats need the heaters in the winter and they still get hot in the summer. Keep it low budget for me and I am happy.
Wow that's the opposite of my feelings my friend I really wished that Hyundai made leather seats an option in the Veloster N.
I really prefer the luxurious feeling of leather seats, and also because if you spill anything on leather it's easy to wipe up, however if you spill something on cloth seats it's soaks right in right away, and then you have to get the shampooer out, while leather seats are so user-friendly and they smell good too.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N w/PP
210 Posts
Wow that's the opposite of my feelings my friend I really wished that Hyundai made leather seats an option in the Veloster N.
I really prefer the luxurious feeling of leather seats, and also because if you spill anything on leather it's easy to wipe up, however if you spill something on cloth seats it's soaks right in right away, and then you have to get the shampooer out, while leather seats are so user-friendly and they smell good too.
To each his own. I have never had a big problem with dirty cloth seats. I like the base cloth seats in my Gen Coupe and they are 10 years old now. Funny, my wife tried to talk me into the premium model because it had the sunroof. The leather seats were a big turn-off for me. I had leather in my Stealth and I did not like those seats either. I considered the cloth seats in the VN to be a plus. Just a preference, I guess.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts