Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: 2020 White VN Performance Package
Mods installed that directly effect air/fuel/engine: Catless DP, Full Borla Exhaust, Takeda intake, m45XL spark plugs, afe scorcher gt, velossa tech, Forge FMIC.
Engine Mileage (Jan 2021): 14,000 mi.
Oil life interval: 1,200 mi.
Oil type: Chevron Havoline Smart Change Pro-DS 5w-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil API SP. (4.2~4.4 quarts used ) $17.94 at 6 quarts @ Walmart - Cheap!!!
Oil additive: Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive ( roughly 300ml of 473ml used in this oil interval) This is a ZDDP additive. About $9 a bottle in bulk.
Misc notes:
—This is the first oil sample that I have ever submitted. I intend to do more for more confidence.
—Well over 5,000 miles ago, I used a Liquimoly CeraTec engine oil additive in an oil change interval and just before the CeraTec interval, i had a small bottle of LiquiMoly MoS2 (molybdenum) additive in that previous oil change interval.
—A TBN was ordered for this sample.

Driving conditions for this 1,200 mile oil sample.
In the life of this oil, there were a dozen or 2 dozen wide open throttles going up to 120-130mph.
There were a few long distance cruises at speeds of 80mph for distances over 20 miles non stop.
A couple instances of aggressive hill climb, aggressive down shifts and pulls lasting no longer than 3-5 minutes.

Here are the results.

Hope this can help in some way shape or form :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Interesting #'s with the calcium x magnesium x zinc ratios.

Will you be consistent with the same oil used in the future?

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting #'s with the calcium x magnesium x zinc ratios.

Will you be consistent with the same oil used in the future?

Thanks for sharing!
I will be using this oil in the future since I purchased it bulk.
I change oil relatively frequently. Past 2 or 3 intervals were both around 1000-1500 miles each because I feel like I drive pretty aggressive.
That made me want to do an oil sample to start having some numbers to work with and I was really surprised I had no iron wear. May suggest engine is doing well or filter is catching most of it and I was one of the guys on this forum having all kinds of anxiety about my car. Lol..

After this oil sample, and Project Farm's Supertech oil video, seems like "cheap" oil isn't anything bad..

It is interesting regarding the calcium and magnesium.

I thought with the API SP certification, calcium would be lowered and magnesium would be increased. But another perspective is maybe these are the intended ratios and that calcium is indeed lowered and magnesium has been increased per its API SP certification? I don't know enough..

And with 300 ml of 473ml Red line Engine Oil Additive I thought I would see way higher zinc/phosphorus number, though it is kind of close to the their chart.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reactions: rockthevote

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
I use them too. If the military uses it then it is probably pretty good and useful in some way. I used it in my motor, transmission, & turbo. They have a special treatment especially for the turbo bearing.... My gosh, this car gets treated like a king.... lol... I treat it better than I treat myself. Ha, ha....

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
48 Posts
STM-3 Turbo Nano treatment is my fave :)

Gotta love that micro-ceramic protective coating

·
Registered
99 Posts
I applaud you for being proactive, but there's literally nothing you can do to a car at your level of modification on the street that warrants changing oil every 1200 miles. I mean, unless you live on a race track and all of those 1200 miles were WOT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts