Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First off I'd like to take a moment to apologize for taking such a long time to write this review, life got in the way and I wasn't able to find the time to write it. But now onto the awaited review.

My Impressions on the intake:
Build Quality: The build quality of the intake is fantastic, all of the intake housing is made of hard plastic that is held together by about 10-15 Philips head screws that run around the box securing the top to the bottom of the intake box. The overall build quality of the intake box is in my opinion just slightly better than the OEM intake. The way the filter sits in the intake box is also well build, as it is a turning and locking mechanism (see the pictures to understand this).The only problem i ran into was with the bolt positions to secure the intake box "properly". There are 3 bolts total that hold the intake box in, 2 of which are on the outside, and one of which is on the inside of the box. On the OEM filter it is easy to get to the bolt on the inside as you can just pop out the filter and get to it, however with the N performance intake it is more complicated. You basically have two options as I see it, either put the intake box in without the filter and try your best to fit the bolt inside the box and get in this way. The problem is the filter requires a little force to get into the box, and you would have to deal with the intake tube getting in the way. The other option would be to take out the 10-15 Philips head screws to take off the lid of the box, get the bolt in, and then put all of them back. This is in my opinion the worse of the options as there are two screws that face towards that ground in the intake box and would be a struggle to put back in after you take them out and install the air box. My solution was to only attach the intake by the 2 outside screws and not worry about the one inside the air box. The tube that runs from the filter to the turbo is good in build quality (comparable to OEM). That pipe seems to be slightly wider then OEM and connects to the turbo via a blue rubber tube (not made by Hyundai). The build quality of all of these parts is either the same as OEM or slightly better.

Sound: When cruising in normal mode, when boost is built you can hear a quite "stututu" sound, however this cannot be heard in N mode unless you are listening very closely for it. I took the top housing of the air box of to see if that would create a difference in sound, and to my surprise created a very audible sound difference. With the air box lid off you can hear the blow off very clearly in all modes, and I was told by friends that it is also very audible from outside the car, even when driving. This intake will definitely not create a noticeable sound difference with the lid on.

Performance: This is a tricky subject as the car has not been put on a dyno to measure the actual difference, but I can give my opinion on differences from my butt dyno. I would say the car feels like it maybe creates 5-7 hp difference over stock. I noticed the benefit the most in first and second gear, and had gotten a little wheel spin in second which had never happened before I installed the intake. It is important to note that I am on the stock PZeros, and that I have lighter wheels on the car (Konig Ampliforms). The tyres were warmed up from a couple pulls and some hard cornering for about an hour, and were at proper temperature.

My Summary: Do not buy this intake if you are looking for an immense amount of sound difference. It does create a slight boost in power, however is not too noticeable. The intake is well designed (other than that damn screw), and does look nice under the hood with the N performance writing on it. It is a cool piece to have because of the rarity of it (my opinion), but it is not a game changing part.

Please ask any questions about it that you may have, I apologize in advance if my responses are delayed, however I will do my best to get to all of them.

Some Popular Questions from the previous post:
Q: How much did I pay for it?
A: I payed $460 with express shipping from Korea
Q: Where did I get it from?
A: I bought it from Kim, his Instagram is @nperformance_store. It was very pleasant working with him to get this part in the U.S, I have nothing but good things to say about him. He posts various different N performance parts on his Instagram that he was able to get his hands on in Korea. Great guy!

Photos and Videos:
Stock Intake:

Box My Intake Came In:

Installed Intake:

Filter locking mechanism (ignore my legs):

Stock vs N Performance Intake Pipe:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I also purchased this from Mr Kim, but am still waiting for it's arrival. I'm excited for the OEM+ vibe this provides. So hard to find pictures and information on this thing or any of the N Performance parts. Interesting to see the locking mechanism.

Does the filter box connect to the cars front in a straight line? I guess I mean that the stock intake pulls air in from the top, but then snakes down and into the box. I'm not sure the reasoning here, but this intake looks like it's a direct path in?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for posting this! I also purchased this from Mr Kim, but am still waiting for it's arrival. I'm excited for the OEM+ vibe this provides. So hard to find pictures and information on this thing or any of the N Performance parts. Interesting to see the locking mechanism.

Does the filter box connect to the cars front in a straight line? I guess I mean that the stock intake pulls air in from the top, but then snakes down and into the box. I'm not sure the reasoning here, but this intake looks like it's a direct path in?
Hey, yes it is a direct path in. I am definitely not qualified enough to explain why this is done, but I'm sure there is some reason for it. It's a fun mod to have, have fun with it man!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Great review! It's a shame these performance parts aren't factory -- or even dealer -- upgrades at this point. I reckon it's emissions holding it all back; probably would require additional certification for Hyundai to officially support it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yes, the best consolation there is the parts are actually stamped with the Hyundai Kia branding. It's sad we can't get them easily, but at least I can't see emissions or law enforcement having an issue with this part except in extreme cases

·
Registered
67 Posts
but at least I can't see emissions or law enforcement having an issue with this part except in extreme cases
I think it's really only California that has a stick up it's ass about modifications to the combustion cycle in any manner; but that sets the standard for the US essentially. It's great that they are all genuine parts; gives the whole package a bit more value if one was to sell the car. It probably keeps you warranty no questions asked also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it's really only California that has a stick up it's ass about modifications to the combustion cycle in any manner; but that sets the standard for the US essentially. It's great that they are all genuine parts; gives the whole package a bit more value if one was to sell the car. It probably keeps you warranty no questions asked also.
This was actually a really interesting point for me to think about when I was buying the part, what would happen with my warranty. A few days after purchasing the intake and installing it I went to the dealer to get my oil changed, and none of the service folk mentioned anything about it. My honest guess is that there are so few of the VNs out there most service technicians don't notice that it is an after market part. My other reasoning is that they saw it wasn't the intake that came with my car and just didn't care. But this also begs the question, if something happens down the line will my warranty be voided because of it? I can only assume, but I guess the biggest defense I hold is that there parts have Hyundai branding stamped into them and I'm assuming also have part numbers. Guess I'll have to see down the line!

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
134 Posts
Thanks for the write up. I also just bought this intake from Kim so your install tips will be helpful. I wanted something that looked stock but dressed up the engine a bit so this seemed perfect.

Regarding warranty: look up the Moss-Magnusson Act. If something happens to the car the dealer has to prove that the modification caused the issue - otherwise they can't void your warranty. The fact that these parts will eventually make their way to the US as a factory supported part makes me think it'll be fine as long as you don't leave the filter off accidentally and suck a towel up the tube 😂 I'm paranoid about losing warranty but intakes don't worry me too much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I should have replied to you sooner Antek, ultraviolet took the words out of my mouth. It should be very easy to build a strong case for warranty around a part like this, especially because it has a big Hyundai stamp on it. If you're any good with web page translation plugins, you could check out Korea's Hyundai website and see if these performance parts are listed for dealer installation and covered under warranty as official option.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I took my own advice and went to hyundai.com/kr with a auto page translator (I love modern tech). Wow, are you guys missing out on these mods. They even have a four-piston monobloc brake caliper upgrade with bigger discs; looks awesome. But back to the point, nothing on the website implies these parts void warranty; they seem 100% factory approved in Korea.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
134 Posts
I just installed this intake tonight and thought it wasn't that bad provided you have the right tools. You can get the last bolt on the inside of the N housing with a u-joint and extension. Getting the filter locked in with the housing installed wasn't that bad imo.

I'm not sure if it's placebo but the car feels a little easier to rev, it feels smoother coming off throttle, and there's a noticeably different induction sound with the intake. It's not loud by any means but I can tell pretty easily.

All in all I think it's a fantastic option and am happy I went with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've put intakes on a half dozen cars and never feel any performance difference. Of course there's always a fun change in noise. I expected the same here, but was surprised I instantly noticed a difference. The slight jerk at throttle tip in is gone and same on lift off. I must assume any of the aftermarket intakes would have this behavior on the N unless there's some weird voodoo with this one!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts