Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Looking to purchase Veloster N for my next car. My brother works for Genesis so he can hook me up with a discount.

With the family plan, I can get 2019 base for 23k (23.1k to be exact) plus tax & reg. Assuming that if I do a lot of leg work and somehow get 2020 PP for 28K, difference would be about 5.5k considering my local tax.

My question is, is the difference worth 5.5k considering my circumstances below?

- I don't track cars
- I can spend the extra 5.5k, but I do value money and don't want to spend it if the difference is minimal.
- I do plan on doing downpipe + tune regardless
- 2019 model does not bother me
- I prefer the standard wheel vs the PP wheel

Thanks in advance for your help! looking fwd to join the family soon!

PS. is the variable exhaust in PP any different than the standard version?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes, the exhaust is different in the VN Performance Package. It's has as active exhaust valve. Different tune combined with an overboost function. Electronic Differential, eLSD. If you want the most from the VN, you purchase the PP. 19"Wheels and special Pirelli tyres made fo the VN/PP specifically. Difference are not minimal, between the two.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like the active exhaust on pp as you can put it in quiet mode when you want to. It makes for a non droning highway ride. The standard is in loud mode all the time.

While you gain 25hp w/pp, I don’t believe there is an “overboost” function like advertised in the European / Australian i30N. Those engines have a distinct overboost function that increases torque output to something like 278 ft-lbs (vs VN 260 rating) for so many seconds. I’ve found nothing about the VN getting the overboost. You do get the peak torque extended up the rev range vs. the non-pp.

The pp also gets a different/shorter final drive for gears 1-2-R and 3-6.

Overall, I found the non-pp to be just as entertaining (at least on a test drive), but the additions of limited slip, exhaust, wheels (I like the 19s), and edge in power worth it. Every car I’ve had without limited slip (that wasn’t AWD), I always wished for it, especially when accelerating out of a turn or on wet pavement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much for your reply, I'm definitely interested to hear other ppl's opinion if anyone has got it.

I still have about month and half before the lease on my audi a7 ends, hopefully they add 2020 models to the circle plan by than so I don't have to make a difficult choice

·
Registered
876 Posts
I like the active exhaust on pp as you can put it in quiet mode when you want to. It makes for a non droning highway ride. The standard is in loud mode all the time.

While you gain 25hp w/pp, I don’t believe there is an “overboost” function like advertised in the European / Australian i30N. Those engines have a distinct overboost function that increases torque output to something like 278 ft-lbs (vs VN 260 rating) for so many seconds. I’ve found nothing about the VN getting the overboost. You do get the peak torque extended up the rev range vs. the non-pp.

The pp also gets a different/shorter final drive for gears 1-2-R and 3-6.

Overall, I found the non-pp to be just as entertaining (at least on a test drive), but the additions of limited slip, exhaust, wheels (I like the 19s), and edge in power worth it. Every car I’ve had without limited slip (that wasn’t AWD), I always wished for it, especially when accelerating out of a turn or on wet pavement.
Actually there is an overboost function. Car and Driver notes an revised overboost function for the VN PP.

With new pistons to lower the compression ratio, a larger twin-scroll turbocharger, and a less restrictive exhaust system, the engine sees its output rise to an estimated 250 horsepower and 260 lb-ft of torque in the base Veloster N. The optional Performance package fitted to the car we drove includes a revised overboost strategy that pushes peak horsepower to an estimated 275.
This ^ is according to; Car and Driver
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a22517108/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-first-drive-review/

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think they are using the term “overboost” to mean more boost than the base in that article on a guess of what the VN would be. If you look at the Hyundai tech specs for the i30N, there’s a distinct overboost that operates for say 18 seconds on their pp that increases the torque rating to 278 while retaining same peak HP output. The VN has a max torque rating of 260 (vs. i30N 278).

So in short, I don’t disagree that pp may be running “more boost over” base, but don’t believe this is the same i30N overboost function. At least that I can find published anywhere. See excerpt from Hyundai i30N specs attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I actually wonder if they give the slightly heavier i30N and fastback the extra overboost torque to allow them to achieve the same acceleration stats... or rather the VN doesn’t need it due to less weight.

·
Registered
876 Posts
No sorry, they're referring to an actual overboost function specifically and is used in many cars including the Porsche. This is an updated function, just as used in the 1.6T Gamma II engine, in the Veloster Turbo, R-Spec, and Ultimate, to achieve the 201 hp & 200 ft lbs of torque.

It can be done manually or electronically, control by the ECU for a brief period (20 seconds + or -) under full throttle load with a 1.2 - 2.2 psi burst. It's generally utilized in the mid-range in most cars, which are equipped with the function. It will also stretch the torque curve from 3000-4500 rpm. This is the primary difference between the base and PP power and torque delivery. The base VN is not equipped with the function, as well the base model i30N.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is a great price on the base VN, so much so that I would say grab one and spend a few G's upgrading it when that makes sense, and then you will have your cake and eat it too at a still lower price than a PP model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone for your input. 2020 models (including PP) is now available through the plan, so I'm getting the PP model! Lease on my A7 ends mid December so I'll be joining the family then. Thanks again everyone for answering my question!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update for anyone curious, got the print out from my brother, Hyundai circle O Plan price for 2020 VNPP is $25,026 before tax and reg. I'm sure some Jedi negotiators out there might have got it for less, but this option is hassle free and I think I'll go this route. Cheers!

·
Registered
123 Posts
If I could get a PP that cheap if do it in a heartbeat. However if I could save a couple thousand I'd get a base. Which is what I did.

The only thing I wish it had was the LSD, but with torque vectoring I haven't missed having it yet because I never get wheel slip and the car pulls out of corner really well. So I wish I had it and don't miss it all at once. As for the power, it has plenty for me. If I had more power I'd just want more anyway, it never ends. I prefer the 18's and MPSS are better tires than P Zeros (I did a lot of research for tires before I got MPSS on my FRS a couple years ago). Plus, with an open diff I don't have to worry about replacing front tires as a pair, which works for my budget.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts