Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

141 - 160 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
99 Posts
Got my pump from SXTH today. Pictures attached are how it was received. They must buy in bulk now because the pump didn't come in a mobis/Hyundai box. Came sealed in a plastic bag inside the SXTH box. Pictures attached. Will be installing after the car gets inspected next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
Got my pump from SXTH today. Pictures attached are how it was received. They must buy in bulk now because the pump didn't come in a mobis/Hyundai box. Came sealed in a plastic bag inside the SXTH box. Pictures attached. Will be installing after the car gets inspected next week.
Even in bulk, they come in a box, in fact even SXTH said that they come in different multi-pack boxes now. Mobis wouldn't ship something like that out of a box, maybe a loose cable assembly or something like that but a fuel pump? I doubt it.

Again, and I emphasize; I do not care if it is the genuine TCR part or not. I do care if it is being sold as the TCR part when it is in fact not the genuine article. There is a chance that the Sonata pump is more adequate for the Veloster N and provides better fueling, but it is important to be transparent about parts of this high level of importance.

I am sorely tempted to purchase the Courtenay part, just to see, and if it turns out the same as 845 and SXTH then I am the idiot who has paid double.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Lew,

Mine looked just like yours but came in a Hyundai/Mobis box. It was wrapped in paper inside a sealed plastic bag just like yours. So far, I have NO complaints about my HPFP. I should have my new OBD2 scanner/data logger in tomorrow and I will try to measure the FP on Thursday as I have it off work but am going in for an alignment and inspection. May not get to it till Sunday.

Is there any way you can measure the FP Lew? Maybe before and after install?

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #147 ·
Yeah I already have data logs from my JB4 prior to change. I'll log it again after I'm done installing on maps 0,1,2.
Awesome, glad we're getting somewhere with this. If your numbers match up with Mike's numbers I'm going to assume that the 845 pump is identical to the SXTH pump and that neither are the TCR part.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Folks,

For purely informational purposes, you should be aware when vendors alter their descriptions of products. This is doubly important if you have purchased one of their products and a buyer would hope the merchant would contact them.

Related to this thread, the advertisement from 845 Motorsports for the Veloster N compatible HPFP they sell on their website has changed recently. In May the listing included langauge that stated the part 'is also utilized on tcr race cars.' In June, the advertisement has been changed to remove the tcr reference. Historical advertisement listings can be found online and the merchants content in the below screenshots has not been altered in anyway. Therefore this is an information post based upon publicly available information. 845 Motorsports may want to comment on this and I encourage them to transparently discuss the products they sell and the advertisements they list.

I have nothing further on this vendor.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
Well on one hand I am glad they are no longer advertising it as something it isn't.

On the other hand, since SXTH is most likely selling the same thing, SXTH is no longer telling the truth about what they are selling for $700.00

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N PP Race Red
67 Posts
Well on one hand I am glad they are no longer advertising it as something it isn't.

On the other hand, since SXTH is most likely selling the same thing, SXTH is no longer telling the truth about what they are selling for $700.00
That's quite the assumption.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
That's quite the assumption.
I realize I could have worded that better but I don't think its an insane height to jump to, and here is why:

-There has been no proof of them being actual TCR pumps besides the very first one they obtained.
-They no longer come in motorsport boxes with the Brian Herta stickers on them.
-There is no externally visual way to tell it apart from the Sonata pump.
-HMSG has no record of SXTH buying these pumps

So until someone posts datalogs showing fuel pressure data for a SXTH pump, an 845 pump, and a Sonata pump to compare to a TCR pump. We can't know if any of them are legit. I will quote myself again:

Again, and I emphasize; I do not care if it is the genuine TCR part or not. I do care if it is being sold as the TCR part when it is in fact not the genuine article. There is a chance that the Sonata pump is more adequate for the Veloster N and provides better fueling, but it is important to be transparent about parts of this high level of importance.
If SXTH is going to use the Motorsport SKU and advertise it as the Motorsport part... It had better be the Motorsport part. Even if a Sonata pump is the same thing and yields the same results, its about being honest with your customers. SXTH has a great reputation and they make some absolutely wonderful parts, plus they tend to have amazing customer service, and it would just suck for this to be something they're caught in if it turns out they are just selling Sonata pumps as TCR parts.

·
Registered
67 Posts
There is no proof that it's not the motorsport pump either so it's all presumptions. Calling somebody a liar is a big deal especially when it's baseless.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
There is more evidence against than for it. Plenty of reasonable doubt for any vendor selling it besides Courtenay Motorsports, or Brian Herta Racing.

I don't understand the extreme defense of SXTH in this community, I never said they were a shitty company to deal with. I have bought plenty of stuff from them, and I wouldn't actively tell anyone not to buy from them. I didn't call them liars, I said they were not telling the truth about the origins of a specific part, not that it doesn't work and causes catastrophic damage to people who buy and install it.

Is it too much to ask for transparency versus blindly taking a company's word for something? We blindly gave our trust in the Fiesta ST community, one of our vendors started producing their own parts but they ended up just being re-branded AliExpress parts with different colour choices. With something like an intercooler or a downpipe, its a little less important, aside from the inconvenience if the welds failed or something... metal pipe is metal pipe. With a part like a high pressure fuel pump, that is directly mounted on top of the engine & could cause catastrophic engine damage if it breaks, I'd like to know every little detail about it before I make a purchase. A $700 purchase can turn into a $10,000 engine replacement if not careful, plus I don't really appreciate pulling the wool over the eyes of customers if it really is just a Sonata pump. You can pick one up at the dealership for less than SXTH sells it for, and less than 845 if you can get wholesale pricing.

Sorry if I'm too much of a skeptic

·
Registered
67 Posts
I totally understand you guys. And I appreciate wanting to know the details/origin of the parts. I really do. Extreme defense? Extremely against? There has been no evidence that sxth isn't selling the tcr part as much as there has been evidence they are. that's all. Nathan or sxth element has shown better customer service than I've ever received from any company EVER. That's why I'm defending them. I really don't think they would lie and I hope I don't end up eating my foot.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
I totally understand you guys. And I appreciate wanting to know the details/origin of the parts. I really do. Extreme defense? Extremely against? There has been no evidence that sxth isn't selling the tcr part as much as there has been evidence they are. that's all.
I guess I should have stated that I feel they have some explaining to do. If it is not the TCR part and its sold for $700, that is a nice ~$300 profit on each pump, something they didn't have to design or go out of their way to get. Just buy in bulk from their local dealer. If it IS the TCR part then why bother to unbox it and remove any trace of where it actually comes from?

Nathan or sxth element has shown better customer service than I've ever received from any company EVER. That's why I'm defending them. I really don't think they would lie and I hope I don't end up eating my foot.
I agree with this entirely, I really hope they aren't doing anything shady either. Every stupid email I send them they answer, every stupid question on facebook they answer, they are just a great all around company, but I still won't blindly trust them on this subject. If it were their own modification or designed part I would absolutely have no issues and would buy it from them.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Tomorrow, if I can figure out how to use my new scanner I will measure the FP. I have NEVER used one of these that does this much, so.... Lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RedVN

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mike, what you’ll be looking for is; pressure after you get the car up to temperature under boost. If there is substantial drop into the 1500 psi range, the HPFP is not doing it’s job. If it is, it’d will either maintain 2900 psi or not drop below 2500 psi. (y)

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
Ok, thank you brother! I will all let you know. (y)

Best regards,

-Mike

141 - 160 of 197 Posts