Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

101 - 120 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ok, all done. Car starts better for sure.... Immediate.... This IS a very easy install. (2) 10mm bolts. Torque specs are 8 to 10.9 ft lbs. With the 1/4" extension on I re-torqued them to 13 ft lbs because of the puny extension. Worked fine. I have always been one to torque things at the higher end of the spectrum.

I would pull the FP relay and the FP fuse and the electronics on the FP before starting the car to drain the pressure. I tried stating it about 4 times like this to make sure all pressure was gone. And it was..... Just a few drips of fuel. After that undue both lines and take off the two 10mm bolts and wiggle it free. Take the old metal gasket off the bottom of the old FP and attach it to the new one. I used some Amsoil to lubricate the bottom of the new FP where it hits the cam lobe and I dumped a cap full of the same oil on the shaft of the new FP where the spring is.

I used some petrolatum jelly on the new FP o-ring just to make sure it seats well and I used a very tiny bit of blue lock-tite on the ends of the 10mm bolts. I did NOT drench them.... Small layer is sufficient. Just re-torque after this and put everything back on. Piece of cake really.... Hope this helps?

After a few days I will give a better review of this HPFP. Want to see how it behaves first.

Best regards,

-Mike
Awesome. I'd be curious to hear your review.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but this is a response directly from Hyundai Motorsports representatives. Like they stated, it doesn’t prove a whole lot, as SXTH may be purchasing from a team. After their comments on purchasing direct from HMSG, I just figured this should be seen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hyundai Motorsports also confirmed to me that part #353202GTA0 is the donor/base part that they modify.

to add to the complexity

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
They purchase thru Brian Herta Racing, which is the TCR team reps from the US. Which come from Hyundai Motorsport in Germany.

I see no complexity, considering these are donor Mobis parts. Mobis is part of Hyundai who supply all manufactured LPFP, HPFP along with other parts to Hyundai and Hyundai Motorsport’s.

As far as Cortenay is concerned, they utilize the same pump by part number but add an additional aftermarket compression fitting, to allow use of a different fuel line. This fitting is an aftermarket add on. Cortenay also sell the same pump without this fitting, which mirrors the snap lock used on both the i30N and VN specified in the shop manual.

Everything else is the same, as sold by SXTH Element.

What we now know is, 845 Motorsports does not sell the Hyundai Motorsports HPFP. Only an OEM specification HPFP from Mobis SK for the Santa Fe/ Sonata.

This was this was original desired question from the beginning.

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
11 Posts
Does this mean the oem sonata fuel pump is still better than what we have in our cars? Also, if it's not modified does that mean I can just get that part from my dealer(at a hopefully cheaper cost)?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Does this mean the oem sonata fuel pump is still better than what we have in our cars? Also, if it's not modified does that mean I can just get that part from my dealer(at a hopefully cheaper cost)?
That is what @Ghost is finding out. As it appears, if the pumps sold by 845 are not bought from Brian Huerta Racing and therefore could not possibly be the modified sonata pumps.

Not to add more fuel to the fire, but this is a response directly from Hyundai Motorsports representatives. Like they stated, it doesn’t prove a whole lot, as SXTH may be purchasing from a team. After their comments on purchasing direct from HMSG, I just figured this should be seen.

View attachment 5701
This leads me to believe that my initial conclusion that Courtenay was the only one selling legit TCR pumps is correct. However it doesn't mean that Brian Huerta isn't selling pumps to SXTH, there is no way to find out without disassembling a known TCR pump and comparing it to what SXTH and the others sell.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Not necessarily, I'd have to see the psi produced and sustained under boost and at optimal operating temperatures.

·
Super Moderator
1,722 Posts
I need to get a better gauge to read the fuel pressure. On my Aem unit it doesn't provide that unit of measure. My Aem will only read coolant temp, air intake temp, VSS, lambda 1, ignigion, fuel level, and a couple others but nothing to monitor fuel pressure. If anyone has a cheap remedy, I am all ears....

I will say this.... My exhaust is much louder and pops and crackles a ton with the new fuel pump. I know I need to monitor the FP to know for sure but the car definitely feels more confident and has absolutely no lag when the gas is pushed even in lower rpms. Have had no hard starts so far. (Knock on wood...) So far I do like the result but I need to find a better way to monitor the fuel pressure. So far this is my opinion.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
20 Posts
As far as Cortenay is concerned, they utilize the same pump by part number but add an additional aftermarket compression fitting, to allow use of a different fuel line. This fitting is an aftermarket add on. Cortenay also sell the same pump without this fitting, which mirrors the snap lock used on both the i30N and VN specified in the shop manual.
From my understanding of the email, HMS Pumps ship with the compression fitting, as they stated it’s the same pump that they sell, where as the SXTH was different.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
No, they don't. The compression is an aftermarket add-on to allow the use of an aftermarket braided fuel line. Both the VN and i30N utilize the "snap fitting" from the factory. You can even see and envision the removal of the compression fitting to see the snap fitting is still in place. This is exactly why Cortenay offers the HPFP in both configurations. It comes to them with the OEM snap fitting and they install the compression fitting after the fact.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
But ALL TCR cars use the fitting, there is not one without it. That is how it is supplied from Hyundai Motorsport (the car). The only reason to sell without would be for road cars, and therefore makes sense that you must specify with or without, because it can be removed.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
The fuel line on the TCR is nearly four times as long as the one provided with the Cortenay or Carlicious HPFP's. Plus, you're excluding the fact the HPFP from Cortenay, can be purchased either configuration. It's easy to find out but instead, there is nothing here but assumption and conjecture.

Sounds suspiciously like UFO theories. 🤣

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
It's easy to find out but instead, there is nothing here but assumption and conjecture.
It is not easy to find out. Every time we think its nailed down correctly, new information pops up. Courtenay also doesn't seem interested in providing any information.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The fuel line on the TCR is nearly four times as long as the one provided with the Cortenay or Carlicious HPFP's. Plus, you're excluding the fact the HPFP from Cortenay, can be purchased either configuration. It's easy to find out but instead, there is nothing here but assumption and conjecture.

Sounds suspiciously like UFO theories. 🤣
My assumption is that HMS sells the pump with the compression fitting. The compression fitting is in various pictures of actual TCR cars engine bays, in the exact same color anodizing. Cortenay is likely offering the snap fitting to make it easier to install in road cars. I believe you have it backwards, and the snap fitting is added as a secondary option to how it ships. Why else would HMS specifically say the SXTH pump “clearly differs” from the one they provide Cortenay.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
I believe you have it backwards, and the snap fitting is added as a secondary option to how it ships. Why else would HMS specifically say the SXTH pump “clearly differs” from the one they provide Cortenay.
This, but it seems they just remove the compression fitting. Same idea though. Also the price difference, SXTH at $695.00 and Courtenay at £657.50 (this is the price excluding VAT) which is roughly equivalent to $931.22. That is over $230.00 different for a part that should cost the same to whoever is supplying it from HMS, IMO it should be closer in cost here because SXTH has to buy them from Brian Huerta and then resell them with a mark up.

101 - 120 of 197 Posts