Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been autocrossing on the OEM Pirellis up until now and this last weekend they quite literally started to fall apart on me. I have full tread blocks that ripped/blistered off on 3/4 tires and the 4th tire has a big (but not deep) gash in the tread that is slowly widening. I have 18" wheels on the way to put RT660s on, but they won't be arriving until late Fall and I don't want to stop doing events until then. As a result, my plan is to replace the dead Pirellis with Michelin PS4S since they are the summer tire to beat.

My big question is, are the PS4S going to get chewed up just as quickly as my Pirellis, or will running a few events on them before getting my RT660s not tear them up too bad?

·
Registered
746 Posts
I have been autocrossing on the OEM Pirellis up until now and this last weekend they quite literally started to fall apart on me. I have full tread blocks that ripped/blistered off on 3/4 tires and the 4th tire has a big (but not deep) gash in the tread that is slowly widening. I have 18" wheels on the way to put RT660s on, but they won't be arriving until late Fall and I don't want to stop doing events until then. As a result, my plan is to replace the dead Pirellis with Michelin PS4S since they are the summer tire to beat.

My big question is, are the PS4S going to get chewed up just as quickly as my Pirellis, or will running a few events on them before getting my RT660s not tear them up too bad?
I did an SCCA autocross school on a set of PS4S tires and they held up incredibly well. I’m a novice, though, so take my opinion for what it is.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
571 Posts
A few friends of mine have gotten 10k-13000k miles per set. This is hard diving, daily, canyon runs, and autocross.

At that cost I don’t think it’s a great investment.

-JE

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A few friends of mine have gotten 10k-13000k miles per set. This is hard diving, daily, canyon runs, and autocross.

At that cost I don’t think it’s a great investment.

-JE
Do you have a recommendation other than the pilot sports then? These will eventually be my set for daily driving in the summer and wet autocross days

·
Registered
2,905 Posts

The Michelins are not rated as track tires. Read some of the feedbacks regarding track use from consumers. They're prone to chunking when pressed hard for track use. At $282.00+ per tire they aren't inexpensive. I'm not sold on them for track use. IMO I believe there are as good or better tires designated for such extreme use.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Do you have a recommendation other than the pilot sports then? These will eventually be my set for daily driving in the summer and wet autocross days
The Firestone Indy 500 is a decent tire for dual use. No street tire is really going to suffice for a full track day without getting greasy, but autocross use case is different than a track day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right I 100% agree. The goal of this is to buy a nice summer tire for daily driving that will also coincidentally be used for a few autox events until I can mount my rt660s. That is why I thought of PS4S's first, but if they are going to chunk on me I would buy something cheaper for the between time

·
Registered
746 Posts
Right I 100% agree. The goal of this is to buy a nice summer tire for daily driving that will also coincidentally be used for a few autox events until I can mount my rt660s. That is why I thought of PS4S's first, but if they are going to chunk on me I would buy something cheaper for the between time
The seasoned autocross experts can chime in, but I’d be surprised if the PS4S chunks on you with occasional autocross use. They are fantastic street tires. Not cheap, but high quality.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How would you say the Indy 500s compare to the OEM P-Zeros? I didn't like the pirellis very much do if they aren't any better than that I'm not too interested in looking at them

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
571 Posts
I think the best tire is the ps4s but they are expensive and I was just letting you know you won’t get great mileage out of them if you plan on using them for everything. Depending on driving style you could have them for longer but this is only the experience I have gathered from people I know.

If you brake late and hard often or load the tires up too rapidly I don’t think you should go with an expensive tire. I’m a fan of learning how to drive on an average tire first since it won’t masks any driving mistakes.

Check out the TYRE REVIEWS channel on YouTube. He is always testing UHP tires verse all season and raring them across various price points as well as factoring in NVH and wet and dry handling and braking.

If you are going to go with a dedicated track/autocross tire as second set then I would go with an UHP all season tire like the good year eagle exhilarate for my daily and primary set. It is a great tire in the wet, handling, braking, and still performs very well in terms of feedback and feel. It is far more captivating than a general all season tire, also less comfortable, but more comfortable than a summer tire.

I personally have the Yokohama Advan apex v601 and they are about 220-250 cheaper per set. They are a pure summer tire but I have handled corners at 120mph and the car also brakes phenomenally.

No tire that is 280tw is going to give you the confidence of a 200tw tire but I’d say go for the middle of the road like Yokohama, pirelli, Goodyear, or Nankang and use em all up and learn the car because the Ps4s still won’t be better than a track tire.

Lastly, you mentioned the wet, and traditionally, continental tires are king in the wet. I have never used continentals but many professional drivers do not like the DWS (also they just released the DWS O6+ and supposedly some of the flaws have been fixed. I cannot personally say thiugh but i imagine it is comparable to how Michelin upgraded the pilot super sport to Ps4s.) If i bought Conti’s I would do the extreme contact sports before the DWS, but hell, if you pay for those you might as well pony up a few bucks more and go with the PS4s.

Hope this helps.

-JE

·
Registered
199 Posts
For a 200TW track/autocross tire, there are several tires that could be appropriate depending on budget and driving style. There is no one correct answer.

But for a 300TW summer UHP tire with occasional track/autocross use and great wet performance the answer is always PS4S. The Conti ECS are a close second.

I used the stock Michelin PS4 tires that came on my R-spec for several autocross and one dry track day and a couple wet track days and they held up great.

I'm TRYING to burn up my OEM Pirellis ASAP just so I can buy a set of PS4S for the N.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you overdrive them they will also fall apart. However, if you’re smooth they will be fine. They have soft sidewalls so you’ll probably need to run higher pressures than optimal for handling.

I use them for practice autox and they’re fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts