Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on perfecting my camera and microphone gear when I am at the track. I finally have it all dialed in. Here is my setup. Reply with any questions.

Example video with everything now working, no data logging -
Track video with data logging, mic issues, some video issues cause I had to use software for stabilization -

Camera gear:
GoPro 9 camera - $350
RacerMount (headrest mount for 2021 VN, will still work on previous years) - make an offer for $45, it will be auto accepted. Making an offer means you are committing to a purchase. RacerMount in-car headrest camera mount for track racing lapping | eBay -- $70
For 2021 - I had some rubber strips lying around. I tapped it on the mount so it doesnt scratch the plastic on the headrest. Then I cut the long bolts so they dont hit the passenger's neck. This is now permanently mounted in my car with no discomfort to the passenger.
If you need more height, use regular gopro extensions as seen in my photo.
Total - $420

External Microphone setup:
All of these are required and can be found on Amazon
GoPro Pro 3.5mm mic adapter - $50
CESS-070 Short Stereo Audio Cable with 3.5mm TRS Connectors, 6-inch - $13
Volbox inline audio volume control attenuator 3.5mm - $20 (GoPro does not have a Mic volume level therefore the external mic is coming in too loud and redlining. I have this set to 70% volume and now the GoPro gets better audio)
Monoprice Audio Extension Cable - 10 Feet - Black | Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Stereo Female 22AWG - $8
Movo WS1 Furry Microphone Windscreen - $13 (Will need to be replaced eventually. Gets dirty sitting on the back bumper. Also this is a bit loose on the mic, you need a clip or a rubber band to keep it attached and not fly off your car)
Olympus ME-51S Stereo Microphone - $40
ULANZI Select G9-2 Protective Cover for Gopro Hero 9 - $20
Optional:
Anker USB-C cable for constant power to the camera from your cigarette lighter phone charger. I am using 10ft, you can go shorter. - $16
Total - $177

Data logging:
Using the TrackAddict app on my phone
You can go to their website and find recommended OBD readers and GPS units depending on if you are Android or iPhone - TrackAddict Documentation - Interoperability
I am Android so I ended up with these:
OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth - $60
Garmin GLO 2 Bluetooth GPS Receiver 010-02184-01 with Garmin Dashboard Friction Mount Bundle - $110. Looks like the bundle is gone right now, You need the GLO 2 and the Garmin Friction Mount so you can have it be planted on your car's dash.
Total - $170

GoPro 9 Camera settings:
Most important - before starting to record, hold finger on screen. Set the auto exposure box on the windshield so that the outside looks good and not too bright compared to the interior.
Max ISO: 800
Min ISO: 100
Exposure: -1.0 or -0.5 (depending on how bright the sun is)
4K 60fps
Hypersmooth enabled (haven't tried Hypersmooth+Boost yet)
Wide view
1.2x Zoom (personal preference)

·
Registered
32 Posts
damn... this is sweet! I have a old contour that I want to use but this setup seems infinitely better.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How is it with image stabilization off?
Also, I got denied when I offered racermounts $45 instead of the asking price of $55. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 2021 VN seats are really wobbly when I am at the track so the video is a mess with the image stabilization turned off.
Not sure how it would be on 2020 seats. I will get a video clip for you showing how bad it is.

Also, I got denied when I offered racermounts $45 instead of the asking price of $55. :rolleyes:
Ah dang, I am sorry. I guess the seller changed it. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is the video example with no stabilization -
The mount itself is solid, the problem is the seats. If it was a 1 piece race seat it would be solid.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks dude.
I now know I can't use my old contour since it doesn't have the stability technology. Will need to upgrade.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts