Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Horn not functioning

9K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
Hey all,

For my only issue with the car after 10k miles, it could be worse. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone's horn has died on them before entirely, not intermittent at all.

This just happened late last night when I noticed it, when I had the pleasure of sitting behind someone who sat for the entire duration of the green light and I couldn't honk...

Haven't had the time to look at it yet but I'm going to check the fuse in the engine bay. I also tested to make sure it wasn't something in the steering wheel by using the panic button, and also trying to do a full wheel rotation while holding down the horn.

Ultimately really want to avoid the dealership since the dealerships around me are a joke, but if it's gotta be warrantied then it's gotta be warrantied. If the fuse did pop however, it begs the question of how the hell that happened. I'll update this thread once I've had a look.

#2 · (Edited)
Horn and connection are behind the right side of fthe bumper fascia below the light assembly. You can either remove the bumper fascia, comes off in less than 20 minutes complete or access it thru the right front wheel well thru the plastic inner fender.

Check all the external systems and fuse first, then go to the connection on the horn itself. Fuses pop due primarily to; overload or a bad fuse from the get go.

Most likely not an issue with the horn switch at the steering wheel.

#4 ·
Thanks for the location and tips Red. I found a picture of a VN with no bumper, looks like this is it?
Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

Checked the fuse, all good. Voltage is flowing on that end and you can hear a relay click sound from the fuse box when hitting the horn. Definitely aiming towards an issue with the horn unit itself or connection. Won't know until I can find some time to get the bumper off and take a look.

... maybe a good opportunity to replace it with an aftermarket unit if there's any good ones out there? :ROFLMAO:

Funny you mentioned this. When I first got my N, I had to use my horn and it did not work. It was day 1 of owning the car, like 3 hours after I bought it. I pull into the dealership service area and explain the issue. All 4 service agents said the same thing. You sure you are operating it right, I about wanted to smack them. They get in one at a time and test it, pressing all over to see. After a few minutes of me laughing like who does not know how to use the horn, they take it in back. 2 minutes later it comes out. I asked what's up. They said the service manager gave it a good hit and it started working after he confirmed it did not work. I said really, the old TV adjustment (who here is old enough to remember that, I do it to my PC flat screens all the time and the millennials look at me like I'm nuts), but it worked and has not failed since. Anyone who follows my youtube channel knows it works. But dam if they had time to do anything other than hit it. I personally like RedVNs idea better but mine was found day 1 of ownership.
Man I wish it was this easy. After confirming it doesn't work with the panic button and all that other stuff, I'm thinking it's gonna be deeper than hitting it. It was worth an effort though, I definitely did that!

Also worth noting the car sat for a week or so with no activity. Kind of odd it just broke on its own with no interaction. Would be super cool if a rat chewed off the wire or something...

#3 ·
Funny you mentioned this. When I first got my N, I had to use my horn and it did not work. It was day 1 of owning the car, like 3 hours after I bought it. I pull into the dealership service area and explain the issue. All 4 service agents said the same thing. You sure you are operating it right, I about wanted to smack them. They get in one at a time and test it, pressing all over to see. After a few minutes of me laughing like who does not know how to use the horn, they take it in back. 2 minutes later it comes out. I asked what's up. They said the service manager gave it a good hit and it started working after he confirmed it did not work. I said really, the old TV adjustment (who here is old enough to remember that, I do it to my PC flat screens all the time and the millennials look at me like I'm nuts), but it worked and has not failed since. Anyone who follows my youtube channel knows it works. But dam if they had time to do anything other than hit it. I personally like RedVNs idea better but mine was found day 1 of ownership.

#5 ·
Use your warranty. If a number of dealers see the same issue engineering may get involved to see what is up. Assembly or part? They do look at warranty claims for common issues.

#7 ·
Hey all,

For my only issue with the car after 10k miles, it could be worse. I wanted to reach out and see if anyone's horn has died on them before entirely, not intermittent at all.

This just happened late last night when I noticed it, when I had the pleasure of sitting behind someone who sat for the entire duration of the green light and I couldn't honk...

Haven't had the time to look at it yet but I'm going to check the fuse in the engine bay. I also tested to make sure it wasn't something in the steering wheel by using the panic button, and also trying to do a full wheel rotation while holding down the horn.

Ultimately really want to avoid the dealership since the dealerships around me are a joke, but if it's gotta be warrantied then it's gotta be warrantied. If the fuse did pop however, it begs the question of how the hell that happened. I'll update this thread once I've had a look.
I’m not even joking, the EXACT same thing happened to me when I reached the 6000 mile mark. All I did was press in the steering wheel horn really hard until I heard a click. Now my horn works just the way it used to 😂. God damn Hyundai product. Try it out!

#9 ·
I have 2500kms on the car and the horn puked on me. I brought it to the dealer and had them chase the problem. They said everything was good except for the horn unit. That had to order a new one and now I’m a week and a half still waiting. For a horn. I should just put the hella supertones that are sitting on the workbench in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.