Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welp it finally happened to me :(

I was driving on an unfamiliar road last night, and hit a solid obstruction at about 60 mph. Didn't even see it, but it felt like something raised and solid like a storm drain cover. It hit on the passenger side tire and my right front end jumped in the air a few inches. Felt terrible, I thought for sure I blew the tire but to my amazement the tire held air fine and I was able to drive it home without any issues.

Got a chance to take the wheel off today to assess the damage and it turns out I did dent the outer rim on the passenger front wheel:

I checked the inside barrel of the wheel and there were no dents or apparent damage at all. A quick look at the suspension/steering components and everything looks fine; the lower control arm, steering linkage and tie rod end, stabilizer bar and its linkage all look to be undamaged.

My question is, if this wheel is holding air fine should I still get it fixed? Is this damage something that can even be fixed or would I just have to have the entire wheel replaced?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Absolutely get it fixed. You're going to have some balance issues with the wheel which will ultimately cause accelerated wear of the tire. It can be repaired by a wheel shop with a straightening jig or yourself. The prior is the more preferable, as they can true the wheel.

Also, check to see of the front end is pulling to either side. Additionally, have the front end alignment checked, considering the speed at which you hit the obstruction.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
A tire place can take a look at that and fix it. They do this all the time and it was be the safe thing to do if nothing else.

·
Registered
2020 PP Veloster N in Racing Red
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight guys, I'm calling my local independent shop tomorrow morning to see if they can repair the wheel. I haven't noticed any balance issues but its better to be safe like you all said.

I'll probably have them check the alignment as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts