Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N PP
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to share this story for awhile now. I can look back at it now with amusement, but at the time I was so upset. Anyway, I had just gotten my brand new 2020 Veloster from the dealer just a little more than a year ago. I live about 125 miles from the dealer and was driving home on the freeway that evening. I was so totally pumped and excited. Anyway, I had driven about half way home when a big racoon strolled out onto to the freeway. There was no way to avoid it and I hit it going about 70mph just under the driver's side headlight. I was livid as you can imagine. I was lucky that an off ramp appeared just as I started to slow down, so thought it best to exit the highway, rather than sit on the shoulder. Terrible rubbing, grinding noise coming from the left front wheel well as I slowed to a stop. I got out to inspect the damage and found that the bumper cover was broken and pushed up near the bottom. The black honeycomb insert was barely hanging on and the internal wheel well liner was all crunched up and wedged in between the tire and the fender. I was able to pull the liner out and free it from the wheel well. I had to break it off so that I could fully detach it. I thoroughly inspected the suspension and steering components and there was no damage that I could see. I'm pretty sure the racoon got sucked up into the wheel well and got spit out, but I did not find and fur, body parts, blood etc. I drove it around in a gas station parking lot to make sure that it was safe to drive the rest of the way home. By this time I was totally deflated. I was experiencing the high of getting a brand new car that I was dreaming about for previous couple of years, and then I swung to a low of anger, frustration, disappointment, etc. Really?!?! WTF. Damn, damn, damn it!!! Anyway, I was able to get home and the next day was able to kinda patch things up a bit to make it look a bit better and was able to drive it. The insurance covered it, but there was bit of paperwork I had to do. You see, I didn't call the insurance company before I drove it off the lot to get it covered, but I knew that most insurance companies do automatically cover a new vehicle as long as you eventually call them and make it official which I did the next day. But this didn't come without confusion and hassle. If you can imagine how that phone conversation went - "Uhh...I need to put my brand new car on my insurance policy and oh...yeah...I hit a raccoon and need to file a claim." :rolleyes: They had to do a phone interview with me where I had to swear to the events of that evening and so on and so forth. Talk about adding insult to injury. I couldn't get it into the body shop for a couple of weeks, so now I'm driving my new car around with an effed up front end. Well...I finally calmed down and got over it. It is what it is sort of thing. Then when I did get it into the shop, they thought they had all the parts, but they discovered that one or two weren't the correct parts and they had to reorder them. By this time my car was torn down, so I had to wait another couple weeks before it would finally be finished. This is some funny **** right? Not! Anyway, I can laugh about it now and it is an interesting and amusing story to tell now that I've healed and the pain is gone. :giggle: Final cost for the repairs which the insurance did cover was about $3500 and this was covered on my comprehensive side of my policy. Interesting thing I learned with regards to insurance and comprehensive. They asked if the animal was alive and moving or was it dead already on the highway. Since it was alive and moving, they covered it. If it was dead and stationary, they wouldn't have covered it. It would have been deemed something that was avoidable on my part. I guess that does make sense. Actually, this whole affair didn't really make any sense to me, but now it is behind me, my car is good and I can see the humor in all of it now. :p

Registered
Well this is a good conversation starter when people ask about your new car 馃槄but I'm glad everything got square and I enjoyed your story. I myself got a VN this past weekend and had to drive it back home without insurance. I think next time calling insurance should be the first thing to do right off the dealership lol

Registered
2022 VN Racing Red 6mt
I literally just felt your pain. What an awful situation and a bad start to VN ownership. Thanks for sharing that story. It's a good reminder for everyone to keep a lookout for those animals. This can happen to anybody.

Registered
2019 Chalk White Perf Pack - Master of breaking stuff.
We all have those horror stories. I curbed my N a week within getting it back in early 2019 pulling up too much in a spot and tore into the front splitter below the grill. Boy, was I just as livid as you probably were. Granted my fix was cheap in comparison, but we've all been there and I felt your pain reading through every sentence of your experience.

Think of what the raccoon is telling his friends 馃ぃ

Registered
Most Insurance companies will automatically cover a new car, if you're a current customer as a courtesy. Dealerships are required to verify and contact insurance companies to verify the new car insurance coverage. That I know of, they won't complete the deal until this is accomplished.

Animal strikes and accidents are always moving, always!!! Just keep it in mind. 馃槈(y) Whens the last time you saw an animal not try to get out of the way of an oncoming car?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I literally just felt your pain. What an awful situation and a bad start to VN ownership. Thanks for sharing that story. It's a good reminder for everyone to keep a lookout for those animals. This can happen to anybody.
The sad part is
We all have those horror stories. I curbed my N a week within getting it back in early 2019 pulling up too much in a spot and tore into the front splitter below the grill. Boy, was I just as livid as you probably were. Granted my fix was cheap in comparison, but we've all been there and I felt your pain reading through every sentence of your experience.

馃槅 Yeah I鈥檓 still trying to get used to pulling into parking spaces with curbs. I鈥檝e dinged up my splitter few times myself but nothing real bad. Most of it on the underside going over dips, but I鈥檓 usually really careful and take those at an angle whenever I can.

Reactions: Chalk_White19N

Registered
Best thing to do is, put it into the parking spot then put it into reverse. Look at the rear view camera at where you are in relationship with the rear of the car and the parking space. Put it in far enough for the rear of the car and leave it.
Well, you told me about 2 years too late for this Red.

This is standard operating protocol now. I hadn't (at the time) driven anything this low since my S13 back in the early 2000's. Some lessons you gotta learn the hard way I suppose. 馃槅

Registered
2020 VN PP Chalk White
Man this is all too familiar. Reminds me of when I took a turkey to the windshield within the first month of owning mine. Road crew hadn't cut the tall grass on the highway yet and two hens went airborne right in front of my car, I was following behind a Harley. Missed one but took the second one straight to the glass. Didn't have enough reaction time to miss them both or stop from highway speed. Car sat for 4 weeks waiting for the new windshield, when it came in it didn't have the moulding with it so had to wait another 2 weeks. Sat in my shop for 6 weeks in the middle of last summer. I wasn't a happy camper.

Attachments

Registered
Man this is all too familiar. Reminds me of when I took a turkey to the windshield within the first month of owning mine. Road crew hadn't cut the tall grass on the highway yet and two hens went airborne right in front of my car, I was following behind a Harley. Missed one but took the second one straight to the glass. Didn't have enough reaction time to miss them both or stop from highway speed. Car sat for 4 weeks waiting for the new windshield, when it came in it didn't have the moulding with it so had to wait another 2 weeks. Sat in my shop for 6 weeks in the middle of last summer. I wasn't a happy camper.
Dang, that must have been fairly terrifying. Was it at least around Thanksgiving so you could put that bird on the table or something? 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Best thing to do is, put it into the parking spot then put it into reverse. Look at the rear view camera at where you are in relationship with the rear of the car and the parking space. Put it in far enough for the rear of the car and leave it.
Good thinking! 馃馃徏
Most Insurance companies will automatically cover a new car, if you're a current customer as a courtesy. Dealerships are required to verify and contact insurance companies to verify the new car insurance coverage. That I know of, they won't complete the deal until this is accomplished.

Animal strikes and accidents are always moving, always!!! Just keep it in mind. 馃槈(y) Whens the last time you saw an animal not try to get out of the way of an oncoming car?
wow! What is it about brand new cars that attracts these types of things.

Registered
2020 Veloster N PP
Terrible that it happened but awesome stories, both the raccoon and turkey!

Two of our employees purchased a car from our dealership recently on separate days. On both days, we had severe storms and hail/tornado watches (forcing us to move cars en masse under cover) after paperwork and detailing was complete. Sometimes it seems like the universe has a twisted sense of humor.

Registered

I hit a curb in the grocery store parking lot the 4th day I had the car. I forgot to account for the cars big rear end when I turned right. Caught the rear wheel/tire on the curb pretty good.

Registered
I hit a curb in the grocery store parking lot the 4th day I had the car. I forgot to account for the cars big rear end when I turned right. Caught the rear wheel/tire on the curb pretty good.
My girlfriend recently just did the same thing in her Elantra GT. Now trying to determine if I can cram my stock wheels on that thing. 馃

Registered
It can happen to anyone, poor raccoon. It wonders if the insurance company eventually agreed to cover the expenses in this case. They are usually more attentive to new cars and are more likely to pay you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts