Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried googles this but seems the answer was unclear.

Does the VN have any type of hill start assist?

I thought some manuals did have this on some cars like my buddies SI but my VN definitely roles back on a slight incline just like any other manual I’ve driven.

Just thought it’d be nice to have but wasn’t sure if there was a setting to turn it on or off somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The VN does have a feature where it holds the brake on an incline after taking your foot off the brake pedal, it releases after a few seconds or when you start to release the clutch. Now don't quote me on this since I have yet to test it, but I think the brake hold only works when you've got the clutch pressed in and THEN release the brakes. I havent seen a setting to disable this feature, however.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Today while driving I had the clutch pressed in and released the breaks and it just rolled back no holding me in place every time I was on a slight incline. Maybe it only works on a major incline?

I’ll try to see if there is a setting somewhere.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Today while driving I had the clutch pressed in and released the breaks and it just rolled back no holding me in place every time I was on a slight incline. Maybe it only works on a major incline?

I’ll try to see if there is a setting somewhere.
Slight inclines are hit or miss with mine. I wish I knew the exact angle at which it engaged, but mine does seem to engage on inclines where I wouldn't expect it to, which is nice to me. I know every morning I get into my car, I deal with this feature without fail since my car is parked on a hill at a slight incline. I guess I can only recommend what you and I both know needs to be done and that is to test it on a greater incline ^_^

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes it does have Hill Assist. In the manual it says it will hold the car for 2 seconds then start to roll back. Also it won't work on a slight incline. It has to be a little steep. Once you figure that out you will know when it will kick in. Also there is no setting for it. Car automatically engages Hill Assist.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes. It also disengages hill assist immediately if you even breathe on the gas.
Exactly how it's designed. It's designed to just hold the car until you get on the gas, then disengage. You wouldn't want it locked up if your trying to go, just saying. Ha. But it quick to disengage for sure. But it's a very nice feature that got hardly covered in all the reviews. There are a lot of little things that were not covered in a lot of reviews on the car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
...But it's a very nice feature that got hardly covered in all the reviews. There are a lot of little things that were not covered in a lot of reviews on the car.
It's definitely a nice feature for those just learning (or wanting to re-learn) how to drive a manual. It lessens that fear of roll-back when still trying to get the feel for clutch slip.

Also, one other thing I didn't realize the VN had was launch control. I hadn't heard anything about it and just came across it in the owner's manual.

--JamesT

·
Registered
118 Posts
It's definitely a nice feature for those just learning (or wanting to re-learn) how to drive a manual. It lessens that fear of roll-back when still trying to get the feel for clutch slip.

Also, one other thing I didn't realize the VN had was launch control. I hadn't heard anything about it and just came across it in the owner's manual.

--JamesT
I knew it had the Launch Control, but I never use it. I'd much rather prefer a rolling start over launching the car which puts a lot of undue stress on components. And come on, the VN is FWD, not near as fun as RWD with Launch Control. The VN wasn't built or even engineered for straight line speed. The corners are where all the magic happens. That front E-LSD kicks in and pulls you thru the corner, as you feel the tail end slip out a little and come around, but its all predictable and that is what's so nice about the VN. The car just goes where you steer it! Just can't wait till I can get mine on a track.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I live in Florida, I may never get a chance to use the hill start assist LOL.

To use the LC, put the car in N mode (custom works) and, with the car warmed up and completely stopped, press in the clutch and floor the gas. That's it.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I do, I'm in the Rocky Mountains. It is equipped with hill assist. It doesn't last very long and if you touch the gas at all, it's off. Best thing to do is, learn how to utilize the parking brake to get you started on a hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hand brake is all you need if your having trouble on uphills. Which begs the question why we even need hill start assist on a car with hand brakes.

·
Super Moderator
891 Posts
Never knew it had it until I read this thread. lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hand brake is all you need if your having trouble on uphills. Which begs the question why we even need hill start assist on a car with hand brakes.
Because I'm too lazy in the mornings to transition my right hand between steering wheel, shifter, coffee, and handbrake on top of that.

But really, I live in an area with a few really steep hills and the handbrake is necessary if I want to not have to slip the clutch for what feels like a (relative) eternity, so I use both systems. Bravo to Hyundai for keeping a real handbrake. Any marketing exec out there who thinks electronic parking brakes are somehow an improvement should be fired.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Because I'm too lazy in the mornings to transition my right hand between steering wheel, shifter, coffee, and handbrake on top of that.

But really, I live in an area with a few really steep hills and the handbrake is necessary if I want to not have to slip the clutch for what feels like a (relative) eternity, so I use both systems. Bravo to Hyundai for keeping a real handbrake. Any marketing exec out there who thinks electronic parking brakes are somehow an improvement should be fired.

I live in an area with steep hills and have never personally had a need for hill start assist or the hand brake. I transition fast enough from the brake to the gas that I at worst rock on the springs as the calipers release. This is in an 03 RSX with frozen parking brake cables (that are on my fix list for spring). Honestly though, I've been driving manual transmissions for years, and even when younger and visiting family in Pittsburgh, PA I never had issues rolling back.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The one thing I never like about driving my first manual a few years ago is starting on a steep hill. I'd rather not have to learn something without any safe opportunity for trial-and-error.

So I'm slowly learning to trust the Hill Assistant more, and don't use the handbrake when starting on a modest incline.

How steep can you reliably go with this Hill Assistant? There are some pretty steep inclines in my area.

Thx,
- Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Never knew it had it until I read this thread. lol....

Best regards,

-Mike

Mike the assist on this car lasts for just a split second...it's very quick. My previous accord coupe would give me a solid two seconds of hold. This sucker seems like 1 second tops. I think I fould it in the manual and it might have said two seconds, but seems way shorter.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've never had it release until I touched the gas pedal. Not sure how long it holds but a few times I've intentionally waited a sec longer to see and it never let go.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's been a solid two-count hold after releasing the brake pedal for me. I like to just clutch-in and roll-back versus going into reverse and save a clutch/shift action, so I've noticed it quite frequently in my driveway.

--JamesT

1 - 20 of 20 Posts