Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Oscar, when did you replace the fuel system parts and the plugs? It could be the plugs if you‘ve fouled one or more. What did you replace them with; HK’s, NGK’s? Actual plug numbers please.

I’m still thinking about this. I’m attempting to eliminate possible issues. I’m going to collaborate with my tuner as well. Maybe we can recreate a similar issue with mine.

If your A/F ratio is fluctuating, you’d have a problem with fuel flow or control. Have you data-logged the HPFP pressure yet at WOT?👍🇺🇸
I've replaced the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter this week. HKS Plugs and msd coils and fuel rail pressure sensor was replaced today. Plugs seemed to be gapped like the ones I took out. I didn't have a gap tool but since they looked the same in gap was I figured they were fine right out the box.
When I would data log for Nathan I would include RPM
Absolute load
Boost/MAP PSI
Lambda/equivalence ratio
Ignition advance
Throttle position
Fuel rail pressure
My afr while idle seems to be between 12-14. While underload I'm not sure.
Lambda seems to be 12-15 while underload.

· Registered
69 Posts
Oscar, when did you replace the fuel system parts and the plugs? It could be the plugs if you‘ve fouled one or more. What did you replace them with; HK’s, NGK’s? Actual plug numbers please.

I’m still thinking about this. I’m attempting to eliminate possible issues. I’m going to collaborate with my tuner as well. Maybe we can recreate a similar issue with mine.

If your A/F ratio is fluctuating, you’d have a problem with fuel flow or control. Have you data-logged the HPFP pressure yet at WOT? I thought you did, is this it;
That table was when I sent Nathan a data log of my fuel rail pressure.

· Registered
421 Posts
Hpfp sound
if anything, i feel like after putting the new msd coils, it's running rougher and little misfires happening. I can't even go into boost now without backfiring and it carrying on.
unless you had a bad OEM coil, try putting them back and see what happens.

I can't play the video - just stays stuck at "processing video." It really does sound like another bad HPFP tho.

· Registered
69 Posts
Just purchased a hpfp from carliciousparts. They seem worthy especially being from germany. I wonder if its a hyundai motorsport hpfp thats been uprated. My last "upgraded" hpfp was from a dude in South Korea so I don't even know if I put it in wrong and messed it up or got scammed or what. I don't even think I checked the serial number on it tbh. I'll upload the hpfp video on my YouTube and send it on here.

Attachments

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Just purchased a hpfp from carliciousparts. They seem worthy especially being from germany. I wonder if its a hyundai motorsport hpfp thats been uprated. My last "upgraded" hpfp was from a dude in South Korea so I don't even know if I put it in wrong and messed it up or got scammed or what. I don't even think I checked the serial number on it tbh. I'll upload the hpfp video on my YouTube and send it on here.
No, it’s not a HMS HPFP. I had a long discussion with the owner via email about a year and a half ago. They are in house modified Hyundai OEM HPFP’s. However, it’s one of the only modified upgraded HPFP available.

Courtenay Sports in the UK is no longer selling he HMS pump to the US, due to insurance liability issues.👍🇺🇸

· Registered
69 Posts
No, it’s not a HMS HPFP. I had a long discussion with the owner via email about a year and a half ago. They are in house modified Hyundai OEM HPFP’s. However, it’s one of the only modified upgraded HPFP available.

Courtenay Sports in the UK is no longer selling he HMS pump to the US, due to insurance liability issues.👍🇺🇸
So you think I made the right decision giving carlicious the chance in buying their hpfp?
The hpfp I have on seems to sound weird and when cold start, it seems to tick in a rhythm but in a weirder way then once warmed up it stops but under load it doesn't seem to sound smooth. It'll skip a couple ticks and then make a weird sound and then pick up.
Also with the msd coils, it seems they have made the car worst? Not sure of the coils or plugs but I'm going to do some testing.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 · (Edited)
I HAVE AN UPDATE!
After doing some more testing.
The car threw a CEL and started running on 3 cylinders AGAIN! Used an OBD link that I bought to read the code.
Misfire in cylinder 3. Cylinder 1's injector went south about a month ago with no check engine light and it was rectified.
The dealer confirmed just a couple days ago. This CEL was generated by Cylinder 3's injector malfunctioning.
It's possible that this stutter that I was experiencing this whole time with no CEL was 2 injectors causing a misfire in 2 different cylinders so little that no code was thrown.
I am having them do a leak down test as well as an injector output test before I get the car back. Simply to see if there are any issues before the hpfp.
Thought you all may be interested to hear what has happened. I appreciate all of you helping me out on here alot.
I WILL GET BACK TO YOU ALL WHEN I GET THE CAR BACK.
FOR SURE.

· Registered
69 Posts
Yes, if you’re wanting a modified upgraded HPFP.

It’s generally a simply issue. Keeping this in mind and always starting small with; fuel, air and spark. These are the three basic principles of reciprocating air craft engines and auto mechanics.👍🇺🇸
Checking gaps of my spark plug and putting oem coil pack in and I see this green stuff inside my coil pack?

Attachments

· Registered
69 Posts
Yes, if you’re wanting a modified upgraded HPFP.

It’s generally a simply issue. Keeping this in mind and always starting small with; fuel, air and spark. These are the three basic principles of reciprocating air craft engines and auto mechanics.👍🇺🇸
Dropped the car off at hyundai to get diagnosed and they basically didn't diagnose it because of aftermarket parts. Can they do that?

· Registered
225 Posts
They can typically refuse service to anyone for any reason. Even if it's supposed to be something covered under warranty, it's their word against yours, and they almost always win. Better like finding a different dealer if possible.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Dropped the car off at hyundai to get diagnosed and they basically didn't diagnose it because of aftermarket parts. Can they do that?
Yes, it’s beyond OEM emission trim. They are bound by Federal emissions laws. They can always refuse to work on it, unless you find a dealership like OxMatt has. So no shirt, no shoes, no service.

Find a good reputable speed shop near you and take it there. I know this isn’t a big problem but I can’t put my hands on it, so the next best thing is a speed shop and their mechanic.

What about fuel? Are you utilizing top tier 93 plus fuel, correcting it with booster or racing unleaded fuel mix? Bad gas maybe.

HPFP possible but I can’t say for certain. You have a Carlicious HPFP coming so you’ll know in the very near future.👍🇺🇸

· Registered
69 Posts
Yes, it’s beyond OEM emission trim. They are bound by Federal emissions laws. They can always refuse to work on it, unless you find a dealership like OxMatt has. So no shirt, no shoes, no service.

Find a good reputable speed shop near you and take it there. I know this isn’t a big problem but I can’t put my hands on it, so the next best thing is a speed shop and their mechanic.

What about fuel? Are you utilizing top tier 93 plus fuel, correcting it with booster or racing unleaded fuel mix? Bad gas maybe.

HPFP possible but I can’t say for certain. You have a Carlicious HPFP coming so you’ll know in the very near future.👍🇺🇸
Wood Fastener Household hardware Auto part Nut

After trying to diagnose the ignition side, this is what happened with cylinder 1 plug. When I initially installed them I may have over-torqued them and that was maybe causing the chaos. I ordered a new set of hks plugs from Amazon and got them next day. Today I installed the new pair and issue went away. Car is smooth like it was when I changed the fuel pressure regulator and fuel filter, now with the new high pressure sensor on the fuel rail and better plugs, car seems to be running smoothly again👍
I always run 93, every oil change I'll throw in some fuel treatment and fill up on shell 93 nitro gas. But besides that I usually fill up at high traffic wawas on 93 octane.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts