Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2022 Veloster N M/T. 20K miles.
Wanted to ask a question. See if you could help me with an issue I've got goin on. Just recently a hesitation has developed at full throttle in 3rd gear.
Just put the Sxth element downpipe on it and a tuned ECU from LAP3. Stage 1.5.

I had to take the car to the dealer recently to have them fix a faulty fuel injector for Cylinder number 1.
Injector was replaced. The issue that sent it to the dealer was resolved.
Though, I am having that hesitation around 5 K at full throttle. If I half throttle it and work past 5K and then put it on the floor to 7 which the tuned ECU is letting me get to 7. No hesitation. Is there a possiblity it could be an issue with the throttle position sensor not allowing the car to see how much fuel is being needed at that rev range?

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Doubt it.

Is this a swappable ECU with a tune?

If it’s swappable, remove it and replace the tuned ECU with the OEM tuned unit, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then something‘s wrong with the tuning parameters of the tuned Lap3 ECU. This is the first step.

Who installed the DP? Any trouble codes pending or have been thrown? Any CEL?👍🇺🇸

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doubt it.

If it’s swappable, remove it and replace the tuned ECU with the OEM tuned unit, and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then something‘s wrong with the tuning parameters of the tuned Lap3 ECU. This is the first step.

Who installed the DP? Any trouble codes pending or have been thrown? Any CEL?👍🇺🇸
Doubt it.

No codes, No CEL. A family member of mine runs a shop. Their guys put new gaskets on both ends of the downpipe too. It was a legit install. This hesitation was happening intermittently before the injector for cylinder 1 failed. Got the car back on the road and believed I was a greenlight go for the tuned ECU and downpipe. Still doing it. Now it's even a little more severe with the added torque that the LAP3 ECU is pushin through the drivetrain.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Doubt it.

Also. I am running the recommended HKS XL 45 plugs that LAP 3 recommends. I also keep up real well with cleaning the air filter for the intake. I try my best to undertake all my mods by the numbers.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can. I’m going to have to think about this one for a while. Allot variables to consider to make any snap decision. 👍🇺🇸
I appreciate ya alot Hobb. I have seen alot of questions that you have answered on here as best you can on here for a while. Get back to me with any of the input you have. It would be appreciated brother.

· Registered
2022 VN DCT
61 Posts
My car had developed a slight " stutter " at max load around 4-5k rpm. For context I just have the basic mods, Inlet, intake and piggyback. I was running NGK racing plugs at the time, reinstalled the factory spark plugs along with MSD coils and so far issue is gone. Might be ignition related.

· Registered
48 Posts
Yeah. I thought that it may be ignition related as well. I looked into the MSD coils from N75. They are 175 a piece
I just was kinda hesitant about getting em. I mean. I know it's not gonna hurt the car. Just yesterday brand new HKS M45Xl plugs went into the motor. If I did replace the coils. That would just be another component eliminated I suppose. Even if it didn't stop the issue. Thanks man. I may just order em.
If you do order them please update with your findings

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car had developed a slight " stutter " at max load around 4-5k rpm. For context I just have the basic mods, Inlet, intake and piggyback. I was running NGK racing plugs at the time, reinstalled the factory spark plugs along with MSD coils and so far issue is gone. Might be ignition related.
Yeah. I thought that it may be ignition related as well. I looked into the MSD coils from N75. They are 175 a set
I just was kinda hesitant about getting em. I mean. I know it's not gonna hurt the car. Just yesterday brand new HKS M45Xl plugs went into the motor. If I did replace the coils. That would just be another component eliminated I suppose. Even if it didn't stop the issue. Thanks man. I may just order em.

· Registered
5,073 Posts
Start at the least expensive first; this would be the spark plugs. Check the gaps first and make sure there are no cracks in the ceramic insulators. Then the coil packs stems for cracks and signs of arching. It’s pretty obvious if they are. You’ll see it on both the stem and head spark plug channel.

Use mechanical KISS principle; Fuel, Air and Spark. Try not to repair by replacement, it can get rather expensive. The other reason is; by doing so you may exacerbate the issue, waste money in the process and slow down the process of finding the issue.👍🇺🇸

· Administrator
2,108 Posts
Also, think about getting the valves cleaned too. A Berryman's treatment is cheap insurance for good performance every 15 to 20K miles.

Best regards,

-Mike

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Progress! I took off all stuff associated with the aftermarket intake.
The turbo inlet and the actual SXTH intake as well as put the factory recirc back on too. Just for fun. I also put the factory tune back into the car and the factory plugs. Just to have a working baseline. STUTTER is nowhere to be seen in any gear. Now that I have attributed the stutter to just a few possible items. I'm gonna put in the tuned ECU and the HKS plugs back in to start with. See how it acts now.
Thank you all for your input!!! This gremlins days are numbered for sure!

· Registered
69 Posts
@RedVN @Kusinagi2501
I've been having about the same issues when I had my rev6 piggyback on and running the hks m45xl plugs.
I recently had installed my stuffed turbo and stage 3 sxth ecu tune and when full throttle sometimes I'll get hesitation, like the car will jerk and not want to keep accelerating so I'll have to ease off the gas and ease back onto it instead of mashing down the gad pedal when doing a pull.
I have a new set of the hks plugs that I want to try replacing and also have ordered msd coils from n75 but unfortunately my package was stolen from outside my porch and n75 doesn't want to help me out with that predicament so I'm in the process of a dispute and having usps investigate on it. When I contacted n75 and told them about everything and they stated they couldn't do anything to help since It was stolen, I then told them I was gonna dispute because I'm not going to be out $200 or so but they insisted if I disputed I would be "burning bridges" with the vendor. Like wtf?!
Anyways so I'm looking for new coil packs that could possibly be the culprit on my issue. I'm also going to do a data log and if the issue occurs, it'll show in the data log and I can send it over to Nathan at sxth and he'll be able to tell me a little bit more of what's going on😔

1 - 20 of 63 Posts