Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Any help here would be great! So a bit over a month ago I took my VN PP for a drive when I got to my destination and did what I had to do when I got back to my car it wouldn’t start just crank and nothing. I let I cool down and then started it and it was fine but about 10 miles down the road it just shut off, again it would only crank but not start.

I had it towed home, the next morning it was fine and for 2 weeks or so I had no issues at all. After that almost every time I would go on a drive when ever I would turn the car off if it hadn’t cooled down completely it wouldn’t start like before once it was cold it was fine (no issues since the first time during driving).

I was talking to Red and he believed it could be the HPFP so just to be 100% sure before forking out some $$$ on a fuel pump I thought I’d purchase a scan tool which I’ve always wanted anyway.

Well today it happened again it was cold this time and I had barely made it 2 miles down the road and it stopped.

I got these DTC’s can anybody help elaborate further is it the HPFP or the LPFP ? I’m pretty sure the P0420 code is because when it stalled there was un burnt fuel in the system but I’m no expert, I’m a motor upholsterer but I do have some mechanical knowledge.

Output device Computer Personal computer Communication Device Gadget

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks 🙏🏽 in advance

·
Registered
2020 PP Race Red//Fully Bolted
124 Posts
Low pressure fuel pump saying see ya. Warranty will replace that or you could upgrade to a deatchwerks pump.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Lpfp going dead on a stock car?
Stock or modded doesn't matter. It's a mass produced electrical part, sometimes you get a lemon. When life gives you lemons you make lemonade (upgrade the pump) haha. At least I would, but if you are keeping the car stock id take it to the dealership and make them take care of it.

@Nico N Tech To be clear, a failing hpfp will cause the car to hesitate and stutter during wot pulls (almost always only under max boost) and may cause a delayed start. You can usually replicate the issue under certain conditions because it's a mechanical part. A failing lpfp will cause the exact symptoms your experiencing. No start, delayed starts, low to no power, random shutdowns, and can be very intermittent due to its electrical nature.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Velo,

Going to the dealership is out of the question I personally imported the car from the USA because up until this year the VN wasn’t available in the UAE 🇦🇪, they barely want to sell me parts let alone fix a warranty claim 🤦🏽‍♂️. They feed me bullshit like there diagnostic tools don’t communicate with the car because it’s a US spec and the part numbers are different which I know is a load of crap 💩, bar a couple of certain small options everything is identical.

I have confirmed this personally because there is only 1 parts guy who will sell me parts but he is in a different Emirate so it’s a 3hr round trip to get anything, he says they are told that they can’t sell parts or work on/service vehicles for people who don’t buy GCC vehicles to protect their control or hold of the market, I’m guessing you guys don’t really have that problem in the US because you don’t tend to get much private imports, but here we have imports coming in from all over the world.

Also the vehicle is not stock I currently have the following mods
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT FMIC
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT Hard pipe
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT BOV
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT Short Shifter Kit
  • AFE CAI
  • VELOSSA TECH Big Mouth Ram
  • Custom Interior
and more future modes to come like tune, exhaust and down pipe, turbo upgrade, widebdoy kit etc.. but I first needed to fix this issue before continuing

You mentioned a modified pump earlier I had a look and it comes in a few different options, I would greatly appreciate a link of the exact one you would purchase if you were doing this mod as I said I’m no expert so I’m not sure which one to get and the flow rate.

Cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Velo,

Going to the dealership is out of the question I personally imported the car from the USA because up until this year the VN wasn’t available in the UAE 🇦🇪, they barely want to sell me parts let alone fix a warranty claim 🤦🏽‍♂️. They feed me bullshit like there diagnostic tools don’t communicate with the car because it’s a US spec and the part numbers are different which I know is a load of crap 💩, bar a couple of certain small options everything is identical.

I have confirmed this personally because there is only 1 parts guy who will sell me parts but he is in a different Emirate so it’s a 3hr round trip to get anything, he says they are told that they can’t sell parts or work on/service vehicles for people who don’t buy GCC vehicles to protect their control or hold of the market, I’m guessing you guys don’t really have that problem in the US because you don’t tend to get much private imports, but here we have imports coming in from all over the world.

Also the vehicle is not stock I currently have the following mods
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT FMIC
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT Hard pipe
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT BOV
  • FORGE MOTORSPORT Short Shifter Kit
  • AFE CAI
  • VELOSSA TECH Big Mouth Ram
  • Custom Interior
and more future modes to come like tune, exhaust and down pipe, turbo upgrade, widebdoy kit etc.. but I first needed to fix this issue before continuing

You mentioned a modified pump earlier I had a look and it comes in a few different options, I would greatly appreciate a link of the exact one you would purchase if you were doing this mod as I said I’m no expert so I’m not sure which one to get and the flow rate.

Cheers
Sent DM

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
176 Posts
@Nico N Tech To be clear, a failing hpfp will cause the car to hesitate and stutter during wot pulls (almost always only under max boost) and may cause a delayed start.
That's not entirely accurate on these cars. Telltale symptoms of HPFP is pending/CEL P0088 and not being able to rev over 3k because it's in limp mode; doesn't need to be close to WOT or max boost; just FYI because this code gets googled a lot for these cars and it's not a super rare failure.

Source: I've had this happen and a bunch of other Ns on IG had the same issue with the same diagnosis and fix.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's not entirely accurate on these cars. Telltale symptoms of HPFP is pending/CEL P0088 and not being able to rev over 3k because it's in limp mode; doesn't need to be close to WOT or max boost; just FYI because this code gets googled a lot for these cars and it's not a super rare failure.

Source: I've had this happen and a bunch of other Ns on IG had the same issue with the same diagnosis and fix.
Hi Ultraviolet,

So your saying it’s the HPFP? When it stopped this time I was barely creeping let alone WOT when it stops, sometimes it starts and as soon as you begin to take off it stops or it will start then run on idle for a bit and stop again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also I’ve never had a CEL on the dash and the only DTC’s coming up on the scanner is the pic I have posted

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Now that we have a code that leads to the issue;

P1233 code possible causes

• Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch needs to be reset
  • Faulty Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM)
  • Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch
  • Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

• What is P1233 code meaning?
  • The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Fuel Pump Monitor (FPM) circuit from the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). With the key on, the FPDM continuously sends a duty cycle signal to the PCM through the FPM circuit. The test fails if the PCM stops receiving the duty cycle signal.

• I suspect the module is bad and I need to check the shop manual for the location. I believe it’s in the HPFP but I need to verify it’s location.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now that we have a code that leads to the issue;

P1233 code possible causes

• Inertia fuel shutoff (IFS) switch needs to be reset
  • Faulty Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM)
  • Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) harness is open or shorted
  • Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM) circuit poor electrical connection
  • Faulty Inertia Fuel Shutoff (IFS) switch
  • Faulty Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

• What is P1233 code meaning?
  • The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the Fuel Pump Monitor (FPM) circuit from the Fuel Pump Driver Module (FPDM). With the key on, the FPDM continuously sends a duty cycle signal to the PCM through the FPM circuit. The test fails if the PCM stops receiving the duty cycle signal.

• I suspect the module is bad and I need to check the shop manual for the location. I believe it’s in the HPFP but I need to verify it’s location.
Thanks Red,

That would be a great help 🙏🏽

·
Registered
124 Posts
I believe you have to replace the entire sending unit which would include a new fuel pump.

31120-J3610
Pump Assembly

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I believe you have to replace the entire sending unit which would include a new fuel pump.

31120-J3610
Pump Assembly
The sender unit seems to be separate to that pump and the pump seems to come in serviceable parts there are 2 sensors but according to the description they both relate to pressure sensors so I’m still a little confused 🤷🏽‍♂️ no mention of the FPDM or FPM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts