Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Just picked up a new 2020 black PP veloster n a few days ago. The test drive really sold it. I had previously purchased a used fiesta ST but it revealed mechanical issues in the first few days and I returned it to the dealer. I love the car in and out but am struggling to get a smooth 1st to 2nd gear shift. Anyone else experience this? I've never owned a brand new manual car before. I can say that previous to the fiesta, I had a 20 year break between driving a stick. I quickly realized though that if I waited an extra moment to engage 2nd gear and let the revs drop, the shift was smooth. I can't for the life of me replicate this in the veloster. Is this a stiff new car phenomenon or is my technique just off and requiring more practice? Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the same issue when I got mine about 3 weeks ago, my 1st to 2nd gear shifts used to be pretty bad, not smooth at all. But I learned to just let the clutch out a little slower (hold at bite point for a bit) and give it gas while letting it out the same way you do in 1st gear. Should help a ton!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I think I test drove your car lol! Got it from Hyundai of Las Vegas?
Yea that's the one haha. What you're suggesting going into 2nd gear did help but I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was introducing the gas before the shift was finished the way you often have to for first. Staying away from the gas in any upshift aside from first smoothed it out almost entirely for me. On a different note though, I can not get the car to produce the crackles and pops the way it should in N mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yea that's the one haha. What you're suggesting going into 2nd gear did help but I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was introducing the gas before the shift was finished the way you often have to for first. Staying away from the gas in any upshift aside from first smoothed it out almost entirely for me. On a different note though, I can not get the car to produce the crackles and pops the way it should in N mode.
Make sure exhaust in in Sport+ mode, and for the louder pops you have to get to around 5k rpms

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey there. Just picked up a new 2020 black PP veloster n a few days ago. The test drive really sold it. I had previously purchased a used fiesta ST but it revealed mechanical issues in the first few days and I returned it to the dealer. I love the car in and out but am struggling to get a smooth 1st to 2nd gear shift. Anyone else experience this? I've never owned a brand new manual car before. I can say that previous to the fiesta, I had a 20 year break between driving a stick. I quickly realized though that if I waited an extra moment to engage 2nd gear and let the revs drop, the shift was smooth. I can't for the life of me replicate this in the veloster. Is this a stiff new car phenomenon or is my technique just off and requiring more practice? Thanks.
Hey, fellow vegas N owner here. Would love to meet other local veloster owners. I sent you a PM.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts