Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last July, I attended the first track event of the year. It was first, because of COVID. I had prepared the car by adding stainless steel brake lines, better fluid, super LCA bushings, and camber bolts. I also had the car aligned more aggressively for the track. I also had my November 2019 run given feedback by a coach from Racers360.

I had higher expectations. The TrackCross event I did before was in November 2019. I was very naive into dismissing the possibilities of heat soak. As the day started, I noticed my times were much much slower. Morning runs are much shorter. I was more than a second slower. In the afternoon, I was close to four seconds slower!! I was P1 in class, but my class wasn't competitive. The other car was a modified Focus ST. It was also heat soaked just as bad probably. I was still in the top 20, but that was disappointing for me. In November 2019, I was P4 overall in the afternoon session.

So November 2019, I didn't measure ambient air temps. Same with the July event. I have IATs. IATs were much lower in November. It was a chilly day. Around 50F.

Now come October 2020. Second TrackCross of the year at Dominion Raceway. In the morning, the temperatures were in the higher 50s and lower 60s. I was 0.066 seconds faster than November 2019 (coldest day) and 0.93 seconds faster than the July 2020 times. In the afternoon, it started to get warmer and it was mid 60s. Towards the end it reached 70s. Since it was still warmer than November 2019, I think car cut some power. I was 0.206 slower than Nov 2019 and 3.869 seconds faster than my July times.

Nothing changed in my car since July 2020. Only difference was the ambient temperature.

This really makes me want to get an Intercooler so I can remain competitive in the warmer days. For HPDE, heat soak wouldn't bother me as much. It's not competitive.

Anyways, this comparison video was fun and tedious to make. It's also a bit too long.

This is the analysis video:

This is the raw side by side video in 4k:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Last July, I attended the first track event of the year. It was first, because of COVID. I had prepared the car by adding stainless steel brake lines, better fluid, super LCA bushings, and camber bolts. I also had the car aligned more aggressively for the track. I also had my November 2019 run given feedback by a coach from Racers360.

I had higher expectations. The TrackCross event I did before was in November 2019. I was very naive into dismissing the possibilities of heat soak. As the day started, I noticed my times were much much slower. Morning runs are much shorter. I was more than a second slower. In the afternoon, I was close to four seconds slower!! I was P1 in class, but my class wasn't competitive. The other car was a modified Focus ST. It was also heat soaked just as bad probably. I was still in the top 20, but that was disappointing for me. In November 2019, I was P4 overall in the afternoon session.

So November 2019, I didn't measure ambient air temps. Same with the July event. I have IATs. IATs were much lower in November. It was a chilly day. Around 50F.

Now come October 2020. Second TrackCross of the year at Dominion Raceway. In the morning, the temperatures were in the higher 50s and lower 60s. I was 0.066 seconds faster than November 2019 (coldest day) and 0.93 seconds faster than the July 2020 times. In the afternoon, it started to get warmer and it was mid 60s. Towards the end it reached 70s. Since it was still warmer than November 2019, I think car cut some power. I was 0.206 slower than Nov 2019 and 3.869 seconds faster than my July times.

Nothing changed in my car since July 2020. Only difference was the ambient temperature.

This really makes me want to get an Intercooler so I can remain competitive in the warmer days. For HPDE, heat soak wouldn't bother me as much. It's not competitive.

Anyways, this comparison video was fun and tedious to make. It's also a bit too long.

Forge FMIC help tones!!!!

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Yes,
or
will help with heat soak. IAT's are just one problem. However, adding some heat shielding products will aid in protection of of engine bay heat.
Velossa Tech Ram Air Intake, get rid of the OEM Airbox, invest in a large commercial fan for use during off track time.

There's more but this is a good start.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the great tips. Agreed. I might go the fan and heat shielding route. I will wait on the FMIC for now due to budget concerns for now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts