Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For people who might be unaware. Since the veloster uses the Theta II I'm curious if they've fixed anything in the manufacturing/design of the engine or if we're all just driving ticking time bombs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Manufacturing Problems
It took a long time, but Hyundai eventually admitted that metallic debris might have been left around the engine crankshaft during manufacturing. That can cause hell on your engine when it comes to oil flow.
Interestingly, the 2011 Sonata was the first to be built inside Hyundai's Alabama engine factory. The automaker says a "mechanical de-burring" process was used to remove any metallic debris from the engines. The de-burring didn't dework.
In April 2012, Hyundai changed the process to a high pressure "wet blast" for the 2013 model year.

My brother has a Kia Optima with the impacted engine and it was checked under the recall, had no issues and runs like a bat out of hell to this day. The change in manufacturing process and my brother's car was enough for me to decide to take a gamble.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah Canada gets screwed on warranty so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before December when I take delivery and sign the papers. Since it's a summer car if the engines are still an issue I probably won't find out until it's outside warranty :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yeah Canada gets screwed on warranty so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before December when I take delivery and sign the papers. Since it's a summer car if the engines are still an issue I probably won't find out until it's outside warranty :(
I get your dilemma but the I30N has been around a while now with none of the past issues popping up. At least that's reassuring.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought the theta II issues were fixed a few years ago. I forget where I read that. Unfortunately, they are dealing with problems from older models. My Gen Coupe engine was prior to that. Over 131k miles and still runs like a top. I am expecting the same from my N. Fingers crossed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts