Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Has anyone used the windshield repair kits you can buy?

2K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
So was on a drive on Sunday and my windshield got hit by a rock and put a chip in the window with a few lateral cracks and about 2-3 small chips as the rock skipped across the window. It's not in field of view but off on passenger side about 1.5 inches off of bottom of glass. I'm going tomorrow to Safelite to see if it can be repaired. My insurance said if it's more than 3 chips/cracks it's a full replacement. I'm really hoping I don't need a new damn windshield after only having the car for 2 months. I would have to pay deductible for new windshield at $500 if it can't be repaired. If they say it needs to be replaced I may just go with my own fix. However in the future I could be on the hook for full replacement if there is an issue with windshield and it needs to be replaced.

Has anyone used those glass repair kits with success?
Cloud Atmosphere Daytime World Sky

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, if you can get to them before it spiders out more then the repair kits that inject filler are surprisingly effective. I've used it on a couple of cars with chips like yours, and they're still holding up great after a few years. If you take your time, the chip becomes almost unnoticeable.

#4 ·
Get SafeLite to do the repair. There's no charge to you and most insurance companies will pay the bill. The lateral cracks may continue across the windscreen despite being filled with epoxy. Generally, this type of hit will eventually require a windshield replacement.

#6 ·
Yep I have an appointment tomorrow with safelite to get if hopefully fixed. I just hope it isn't to close to the edge.

I recently tried the rain-x kit on a similar but smaller crack (not the Veloster). As I tried to gently push on the windshield to get the adhesive to flow into it and fill it, the crack grew to the tune of a new windshield replacement. If you search for the YouTuber “Chrisfix,” he has a great demo of various kits and seems to have good success. I didn’t. Chips are a different story. Cracks always seem to grow To the point of needing replacement.
Yep I saw that one. I am always weary of big youtube channels and promoting products. Chrisfix has gotten really big lately and his videos feel sort of off and fake to me now.

#5 ·
I recently tried the rain-x kit on a similar but smaller crack (not the Veloster). As I tried to gently push on the windshield to get the adhesive to flow into it and fill it, the crack grew to the tune of a new windshield replacement. If you search for the YouTuber “Chrisfix,” he has a great demo of various kits and seems to have good success. I didn’t. Chips are a different story. Cracks always seem to grow To the point of needing replacement.

#8 ·
I understand and have done this at least four times in the past two years.

Stuff happens we can’t foresee. I had my windshields protected with windshield PPF.

Check your tint/PPF shop and see if the have it available. It’s not cheap but it works in the protection of the windshield.

It will last behind 4 years, if you take care of it.

#9 ·
Hey look on the bright side. At least you didn't take a turkey to the windshild in the first 1.5 months like I did. There are worse ways to ruin a windshield! make sure your insurance covers glass damage at no charge and the only thing your out on is the wait time to get it fixed.

#11 ·
So was on a drive on Sunday and my windshield got hit by a rock and put a chip in the window with a few lateral cracks and about 2-3 small chips as the rock skipped across the window. It's not in field of view but off on passenger side about 1.5 inches off of bottom of glass. I'm going tomorrow to Safelite to see if it can be repaired. My insurance said if it's more than 3 chips/cracks it's a full replacement. I'm really hoping I don't need a new damn windshield after only having the car for 2 months. I would have to pay deductible for new windshield at $500 if it can't be repaired. If they say it needs to be replaced I may just go with my own fix. However in the future I could be on the hook for full replacement if there is an issue with windshield and it needs to be replaced.

Has anyone used those glass repair kits with success?
As for the glass repair kits, they can work well for smaller chips and cracks. While results can vary based on the damage's extent, many people have had success using them. If you're looking for an effective and potentially cost-saving solution, you might consider the windshield crack repair kit from Crack Eraser (crackeraser.com). It's always a good idea to research and read reviews to gauge the experiences of others before making a decision. Ultimately, your goal is to ensure the safety and longevity of your windshield without breaking the bank. Good luck with the assessment, and I hope you find a solution that suits your needs!

#12 ·
I had a similar experience with a rock chip on my windshield, and I decided to give the Crack Eraser rock chip repair kit a try before going for a full replacement. I was pleasantly surprised by the results. It effectively filled the chips and cracks, making them almost invisible, and it's been holding up well for a while now. It's certainly worth a shot to see if you can repair it yourself and save the cost of a full replacement. 😊🚗

#14 ·
I've been in a similar situation before, and dealing with windshield damage can be frustrating, especially with the possibility of a full replacement looming over you. However, I've had great success with DIY glass repair kits, particularly when using high-quality windshield repair resin. I highly recommend checking out Crack Eraser's collection of windshield repair resin; their products are designed to effectively fill chips and cracks, providing a durable and long-lasting repair. You can explore their range of reliable solutions at crackeraser.com/collections/20-windshield-repair-resin . Trust me, it's a cost-effective solution that can save you from the hassle and expense of a full windshield replacement.