Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At first, I thought this question was going to be... how fast do you take the VN in 1st gear while in N mode?

And, yes, I'd still like to know that.

But I suppose the more general question is... how do you drive this card hard without killing it? Oh, and do this on the street during a commute, and still not get a ticket?

Maybe the answer is as simple as going to N mode and stay in low gears until you at least see yellow on the shift lights.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
- Joe

P.S. My only other performance-oriented car was the '07 Civic Si. With that VTEC, you learned to rev high. The fun started at 6k.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I'm going to let 1st gear go faster then.

I'm guessing 1st can go up to 30 mph, and then 2nd to 60 mph in N mode without even hitting redline.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not really sure why your concerned with mph? Now this is all coming from a ex OTR Semi Truck Driver. But I look at my rpms when I'm accelerating. Hardly ever do I look at my speed. But usually know just from the rpm's how fast I'm going. Now I will usually keep my N in 3rd gear around town when I'm staying above 3000 rpm's but not going over 5000 rpm's. Love the way the car pulls. Its just comes alive after 3000 rpm's. I'm also in N Custom Mode, balls to the walls on everything except suspension set too Sport. I like a little stiffness in the suspension when playing.

·
Registered
125 Posts
...Oh, and do this on the street during a commute, and still not get a ticket?
Maybe ...not drive in N mode during your commute? :D

I'm mean, I get it. On the motorcycle, I was all about 'loud pipes saves lives'. But, in a car that's MADE for hooning? Yeah, no need to draw EXTRA attention to yourself. ;)

--JamesT

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ok, as long as the car is up to operating temperature and you have clear roads/track then you can rev to the redline in every single gear should you wish.

If you're trying to peg that 0-60 you can run it to redline in first and second and hit 60 just barely without hitting 3rd gear, which will improve your time.

If you're driving to work, in traffic, don't redline it. Makes you look like a tool. Drive with the flow of traffic, be safe, and by all means rip it getting on the on ramp. Zipping it to redline from a stoplight is unnecessary and draws way more attention from the officer parked over at the corner store or on the side street when he hears VRRRROOOOOOOMMMMM, POP BANG POP!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll go up to 5k in traffic and redline for fun. I like how this car doesn't have a lot of top-end falloff like a lot of the current TGDI I4's. The only things I am hawkish about is during the period where the oil is coming up to operating temp, trying not to go over 3k-ish or build any notable amount of boost. Two UOAs so far have been great.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My morning commute includes merging onto a highway with metering lights, so I will definitely drive it hard from the metering light to my merge @60-ish, because I can, because it actually helps merging, and so I can get my daily fix of "pops". But only if I've got room on the merge ramp to do it, obviously... Otherwise, I actually tend to baby it, shift around 3k between traffic lights to get some nice gurgles, and around 2.5k in slow/stop-n-go traffic.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I suppose the most hoonigan thing I do is quickly shift into neutral to rev the throttle and get a quick pop when the car is on the highway and I'm under a big overpass.

In St. Louis, there is a big stretch in front of Busch Stadium that is a double-decker highway. Maybe I'll do this someday to coincide with a Cardinals home-run.

- Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
My morning commute includes merging onto a highway with metering lights, so I will definitely drive it hard from the metering light to my merge @60-ish, because I can, because it actually helps merging, and so I can get my daily fix of "pops". But only if I've got room on the merge ramp to do it, obviously... Otherwise, I actually tend to baby it, shift around 3k between traffic lights to get some nice gurgles, and around 2.5k in slow/stop-n-go traffic.
I'm the same way ...i think I baby the N too much......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I suppose the most hoonigan thing I do is quickly shift into neutral to rev the throttle and get a quick pop when the car is on the highway and I'm under a big overpass.

In St. Louis, there is a big stretch in front of Busch Stadium that is a double-decker highway. Maybe I'll do this someday to coincide with a Cardinals home-run.

- Joe

In St. Louis there are empty freeways everywhere and you can drive 100mph most of the time and not get a ticket because the cops are too busy in Ferguson. I had so much fun driving my RS there while I was in town for 4 months for work. Even considered taking a full time position and moving to St. Charles with the family, but ultimately we moved to Houston so we could have a house on the coast. Still, super fun roads there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
In St. Louis there are empty freeways everywhere and you can drive 100mph most of the time and not get a ticket because the cops are too busy in Ferguson. I had so much fun driving my RS there while I was in town for 4 months for work. Even considered taking a full time position and moving to St. Charles with the family, but ultimately we moved to Houston so we could have a house on the coast. Still, super fun roads there.
I grew up in the Houston area, northern suburbs of the Spring/Klein area.

Back in 1993, I had a 74 Trans Am 455 with all the fun stuff, dual quads, fenderwell headers feeding side pipes, big 275/60/15 tires on 10" wide Cragar SS's, and I recall doing 90mph on I45 headed into Houston because that's how the traffic was moving, next to a State Trooper and not even being concerned he'd pull me over. My mother is a bit of a leadfoot and was once pulled over for going too slow on I45.

There are lots of good backroads with good curves, long straights, and since Houston has an elevation change of less than an inch pretty much across the board, long sightlines. It's a town made for driving fast.

St Louis isn't a nice town to live in from what I understand. Ferguson may be worse, but I'd need a lot of money to live there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I grew up in the Houston area, northern suburbs of the Spring/Klein area.

Back in 1993, I had a 74 Trans Am 455 with all the fun stuff, dual quads, fenderwell headers feeding side pipes, big 275/60/15 tires on 10" wide Cragar SS's, and I recall doing 90mph on I45 headed into Houston because that's how the traffic was moving, next to a State Trooper and not even being concerned he'd pull me over. My mother is a bit of a leadfoot and was once pulled over for going too slow on I45.

There are lots of good backroads with good curves, long straights, and since Houston has an elevation change of less than an inch pretty much across the board, long sightlines. It's a town made for driving fast.

St Louis isn't a nice town to live in from what I understand. Ferguson may be worse, but I'd need a lot of money to live there.

I45 on Sunday before church lets out is still a marvel to behold. Miles and miles of mostly empty roads, and since the cops assist with controlling traffic in the parking lots at all the mega churches you can hoon about all you want (more or less). I live on the south end of Houston...Seabrook specifically, right across from Kemah...it is a blast to run down to Galveston on any of the mostly flat highways.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Used Oil Analysis.

WoodmanMN have you bought yet? Sorry if I missed that...

I'm having the exact opposite problem than the OP...about 3800ish miles on it and still trying to adapt to its down low character. OP, nail it till around 6k and have as much fun as you want! lol

Didn't mean to hijack..I'll figure it out eventually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
WoodmanMN have you bought yet? Sorry if I missed that...

I'm having the exact opposite problem than the OP...about 3800ish miles on it and still trying to adapt to its down low character. OP, nail it till around 6k and have as much fun as you want! lol

Didn't mean to hijack..I'll figure it out eventually.
Not yet. Hoping to have a plan this spring.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I45 on Sunday before church lets out is still a marvel to behold. Miles and miles of mostly empty roads, and since the cops assist with controlling traffic in the parking lots at all the mega churches you can hoon about all you want (more or less). I live on the south end of Houston...Seabrook specifically, right across from Kemah...it is a blast to run down to Galveston on any of the mostly flat highways.
I have a story about Beltway 8 early one Sunday morning back in 1993 at the wheel of my 74 Trans Am.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts