Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I recently purchased a 2020 Veloster N from my local classifieds (private sale) with a Boomba short shifter installed. Sometimes when I shift into first at a complete stop it doesn't seem the stick goes in all the way (3/4s of the way I'd say.). I release the clutch to bite point and hear a slight grinding noise. So I clutch in, go to N, go to 1st and it's fine. I noticed one time the drivers display flashing between nothing and "N" in the gear spot on the screen. Every other gear works great as does the rest of the car. I was suggested to remove the short shifter but I don't have the stock bushings to do so (The boomba kit removes them).

Boomba install video:

·
Registered
45 Posts
The adjustment on the linkage might not have been done properly. I would check that they did the install correctly. You definitely don't want to keep having that issue though.

Personally I don't see any issue with the stock shifter, it has a nice feel so if it was me I would call a dealer and order the bushings or see if the previous owner can track them down and put it back to stock.

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
It makes me wonder if the person installing the short shifter even removed the bushing in the shifter under the console? This also would create your issue. It's one or the other.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had this happen one time to me a few days after I bought the brand VN it seemed like it didn’t go all the way into first. And when I left off the clutch it just made a terrible noise. I immediately took it out of gear and put it back in and it was fine. Hasn't happened to me since. Everything is stock and brand new on mine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It makes me wonder if the person installing the short shifter even removed the bushing in the shifter under the console? This also would create your issue. It's one or the other.

Best regards,
I was going to check this this weekend! Also I was told that the short shifter raises the cables by a centimeter or so so it also may be hitting the bottom of the battery tray.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I haven't had any issues getting into gear with the boomba bushings and short shifter plate. Will say that second you have to be deliberate with but it will always go in just fine. Regarding Mike's comment on the bushing at the bottom of the shifter shaft under the console, I was under the impression that this only impacted 3rd and 4th engagement. Be warned, that rubber 'o-ring' is a royal PITA to remove, so be patient with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this happen multiple times during my ownership of my N. It's completely stock, save for an AEM Cold Air Intake, so there's no direct link to the short shifter or anything of the sort. I think this is a stock problem. As others have described, occasionally shifting into first will only get about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way into gear without fully engaging. When I let out the clutch and try again, everything works fine. I've only just heard the grinding noise yesterday for the first time when I didn't realize this had happened and tried to drive while partially in gear.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
The engagement of the gear is not being properly made. The shift cable linkage needs to be adjusted to accommodate the shorter throw. Call and talk to Boomba Racing directly and ask them how they specifically adjusted the cables. I know there is another part to this installation that wasn't put into the video.

Linkage cable adjustments are required for with this modification and a stock VN. This link will give you some direct understanding how it needs to be done.
I was going to check this this weekend! Also I was told that the short shifter raises the cables by a centimeter or so so it also may be hitting the bottom of the battery tray.
No you won't come in contact with the bottom of the battery tray.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts