Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I have been soaking up a lot of information on the forum over the past couple of months. During this time I had an opportunity to test drive a nice performance blue N with PP (the only version we get here in Canada) and very much enjoyed it. My previous cars have included a Toyota GT86, a VW GTI, two MINI Cooper S, (one of them exploded in a parking lot... while engine was off), a MINI Cooper JCW (loved this car), and am currently driving a BMW XI and a MINI Countryman S ALL4. When it comes to the Veloster N, my test drive made me realize-- I'm more into "fun" to drive vehicles rather than "luxury" vehicles.

Now for a couple of questions. I have appointment tomorrow at a local-ish dealership (where I did the test drive a week ago) to put down a deposit and order a 2021 model (manual transmission naturally). I admit I am completely floored at the discounts many Americans get on this car... and I have to ask how and why are dealers taking a loss by selling under invoice? It is practically unheard of where I live to get a discount of 1-2 grand on a 35k car (Canadian pricing before taxes and other stuff). I haven't negotiated down the price on the 2021 yet (might try tomorrow but tbh-- I've never been able to get more than 500 off on a car that I am "ordering". On the flipside, I know in some places in the USA there is a markup on this car and to my knowledge that is NOT done ever in Canada-- I think we may have laws against it but I could be wrong).

Second question-- if my Sales Associated says that "these cars" aren't being discounted do I just take her word for it? I don't believe there is a lot of wiggle room for a discount between the invoice price and the MSRP, and I definitely respect her right to make money and feed her family. Advice?

I should add that the only reason I'm waiting for the 2021 is for the safety features being added.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I knew I had to get a factory order, time was on my side and I didn't rush.

I emailed all the dealerships in my area (about 10) saying what I wanted and exactly what I was doing. Some thought I was joking, some thought I was a kid just poking around, and only a few took it seriously.

The ones that took me seriously were actively fighting for my business. I ended up with $1,400 off MSRP and no dealer or finance fees.

There are deals to be made. Make them work for your business.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just placed an order today. I learned a lot. Canada is getting the fancy light weight N seats as standard kit, along with all the safety tech as standard. My sales rep didn’t see an option for a sunroof (no biggie there for me— don’t like them) but I know there is a sunroof option for some markets. I ordered the new Cyber Grey colour. I think it will look nice with the red and black accents. The new white is a flat white called Atlas White (a brighter white than chalk white). The feeling I got was that there are no options for the Canadian market (like current model) and that the changes for the 2021 will be standard equipment. We also speculated a significant jump in MSRP. Congrats on your order!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just placed an order today. I learned a lot. Canada is getting the fancy light weight N seats as standard kit, along with all the safety tech as standard. My sales rep didn’t see an option for a sunroof (no biggie there for me— don’t like them) but I know there is a sunroof option for some markets. I ordered the new Cyber Grey colour. I think it will look nice with the red and black accents. The new white is a flat white called Atlas White (a brighter white than chalk white). The feeling I got was that there are no options for the Canadian market (like current model) and that the changes for the 2021 will be standard equipment. We also speculated a significant jump in MSRP. Congrats on your order!
Where do you live in Ontario??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts