Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess technically it started a week ago, but I finished them today. It started because of how easily this car experiences wheel hop (or axle tramp, if you're Australian). Every time I had to pull out into traffic, I got the violent hop. At least once or twice a week. I've had RMMs before and hated the NVH, so I decided to go the 'insert' route. I got the purple PowerFlex inserts and installed them. There was literally ZERO NVH, it felt and sounded like stock. The inserts didn't remove the wheel hop, they just made it bearable. It still hopped easily, but it wasn't violent, as in it didn't feel like something was about to break. It was just a light tapping/skipping. Still annoying, but more bearable. After countless people on here talking about how amazing the TTR Upper motor mount was, I decided to give it a try to completely eliminate wheel hop. It arrived yesterday and I installed it today. I have to say I'm very shocked at how quiet it is. It's only noticably louder for about 15 seconds on a cold start. After the RPM drops, it sounds pretty much like stock. And like others have said, you only hear it when taking off in first gear, only for a second, and still extremely mild. To put it in perspective, my wife didn't notice the noise difference. She thought it sounded stock even after I told her to listen for it.

I found a few places to test the mounts out against wheel hop. Map1 JB4, floored in first gear, the wheel hop is 99% gone. The only way I got any hop was floored uphill, and really it might have even been uneven pavement more than anything. It was just one bounce. But on a flat surface, no hop at all, I actually peeled/screeched tire and left a strip, very impressive for a total of about $300.

**Disregard my homemade mount for the OCC. I refused to spend $300 on a can and mount specifically designed to fit this car when I already had 3 perfectly good OCCs in the garage.

Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle

Water Bottle Cloud Liquid Automotive design

Water Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Paint

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Do the lower TURBO TECH RACING mount as well and the wheel hop will be gone. These are the original development threads if you didn’t have the opportunity to read them.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My reluctance with getting the lower is the cost and NVH. I am already satisfied with the setup now. The only way to get any wheel hop was by TRYING to induce wheel hop on a rough road uphill. And even then it was very minor.

The TTR lower mount is ~$200 and creates some NVH, even if mild. I already have the purple inserts (and am satisfied), and they were only $40 and causes absolutely ZERO NVH.

I will say though, if something happen to the purple inserts, I will definitely look into the TTR lower mount. I'm very impressed with their build quality, effectiveness, and processing speed.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
711 Posts
I bought the yellow "street" PowerFlex bushings. I was also worried about NVH. They were an improvement that I immediately felt in shifting from 1st to 2nd. Another member used the purple ones like you and reported the same results. I also worry about the bottom being too stiff with factory bushings on top, so it is probably best to work on all of the bushings in tandem. Thanks for the update!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
My reluctance with getting the lower is the cost and NVH. I am already satisfied with the setup now. The only way to get any wheel hop was by TRYING to induce wheel hop on a rough road uphill. And even then it was very minor.

The TTR lower mount is ~$200 and creates some NVH, even if mild. I already have the purple inserts (and am satisfied), and they were only $40 and causes absolutely ZERO NVH.

I will say though, if something happen to the purple inserts, I will definitely look into the TTR lower mount. I'm very impressed with their build quality, effectiveness, and processing speed.
I have no NVH with both. Broken in it takes about 300-500 miles. For personal your edification.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unrelated, but not sure where else to ask. I created a thread looking for help several hours ago, it has a shield that says waiting for review and approval. Does anyone know why I would be able to start other threads, this included, without needing approval? But that one seems locked? It shows as private, and I can only see it if I'm logged in.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I originally went yellow and the hop, while reduced, was definitely still there. Upgrading to purple with no changes to the other stock mounts eliminated all wheel hop for me. I'm on all season tires that slip pretty easily so I'm assuming you've got grippier tires, necessitating the additional drivetrain stabilisation. (Put the S in for the Aussie!)

With purple I second your observation of zero NVH.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm on all season tires that slip pretty easily so I'm assuming you've got grippier tires, necessitating the additional drivetrain stabilisation.
I'm still on the original Michelin Super Sports, summer tires. I love these tires. When it's time to replace them, i'll likely go Sport 4S. I have 2 sets of wheels, so summer and winter is what i'll do, as opposed to all seasons.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That's normally what I'd do too but my second set is 200tw track dedicated so all season gets me through the rest of daily driving needs year round for better or worse. Mostly worse. Maybe a third set for snows will change that someday but the garage is pretty full.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts