Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered this and am interested to know how it sounds and if the response is noticeable..I'll report back.
I like the idea that if I am going on a long trip and just want it quiet I can put it on full recirc.

Also nice to be able to tune the sound to my liking by the amount of hybrid I set it on.
Very much looking forward to it. It will be my first mod.

https://www.genracer.com/gfb-2-tms-respons-blow-off-valve-kit-2019-hyundai-veloster-n/

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
I have the their recic valve and love it! It's just like the one you bought except I can't VTA. The top allen screw adjusts the spring pressure. I have mine 2 and a half turns past top dead center and get no compressor surge. Here look at this:

https://www.velostern.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/607-just-ordered.html

Look at one of the pics and notice the top of the screw. I marked mine so it's easy to tell how many turns I did. Great choice. It's a fantastic BOV, and awesome quality!

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: RPMrush

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have the their recic valve and love it! It's just like the one you bought except I can't VTA. The top allen screw adjusts the spring pressure. I have mine 2 and a half turns past top dead center and get no compressor surge. Here look at this:

https://www.velostern.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/607-just-ordered.html

Look at one of the pics and notice the top of the screw. I marked mine so it's easy to tell how many turns I did. Great choice. It's a fantastic BOV, and awesome quality!

Best regards,

-Mike
Sweet. Thanks for the link to your post. I figure I'll go full recirc until I get the spring dialed in and once I'm confident I'm not too tight on the spring and not getting compressor surge I'll open it full VTA for annoyance. Then I'll dial it down to hybrid until I get the sound of to my liking. Fairly excited by your experience of better throttle response. I just figured at some point I'll grab a piggy back and stock BPVs are usually the weakest link with more boost. I also got the rear motor mount bushings you recommended in another post. I went with the sport bushing (80 durometer I believe). Looking forward to more traction.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for the link to your post. I figure I'll go full recirc until I get the spring dialed in and once I'm confident I'm not too tight on the spring and not getting compressor surge I'll open it full VTA for annoyance. Then I'll dial it down to hybrid until I get the sound of to my liking. Fairly excited by your experience of better throttle response. I just figured at some point I'll grab a piggy back and stock BPVs are usually the weakest link with more boost. I also got the rear motor mount bushings you recommended in another post. I went with the sport bushing (80 durometer I believe). Looking forward to more traction.
You'll love the throttle response. Post your thoughts after install. I have those LRMM bushings in right now. I do NOT get any vibrations at all and do get better traction and not much wheel hop if any. I have tried 3 different LRMM's and this is the best one for comfort and performance. I do have the Boomba one too but I can't justify the vibrations for myself being I drive 33 miles one way to work. I will use that one for track day or sell it. The Boomba one does put down the power the best though and is the best quality out of them all. I'm just too dam old for the all the vibrations. There, I admitted it! lol.... :smile_big:

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yep, purples are good so are the yellows. However, don't use the black ones unless you got a good dental plan and chiropractor.:grin:

They have the purple bushing for the front motor mount also.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
I have the yellows too. Those were my first set. lol... Shoot me a link for the front mount bushing. I'm intrigued....

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: RPMrush

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
**** ya, front bushings. I searched and came up short? I do believe I have the purples. I'm going to throw her on my buddy's lift to install the LRMM bushings. The BOV is in and sitting in a box. I have family in town. Going to hit some bike trails with my brother this afternoon and maybe throw it on this evening with a beer or 10. I'll have my dad (since he is in as well) test drive for me since I'll be drinking for sure. He enjoys this car and all it's buttons.

·
Registered
876 Posts
You'll like it either way. It will help in faster recover of boost during shifts and you'll notice it as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok.. Initial impression (10 miles of beating on the car) is.... disappoinment. I think the 'you will notice it hype' got to me. The sound is meh. PSST! Not what it was bought for so that's fine. It's on full VTA with the adjustment about 2mm above flush. Lag between gears and throttle response seems stock/unchanged. I drive the piss outta my car. I don't like the blow off during Rev match. Also that seems counter intuitive to holding of boost. I know it's exactly what happened before and I am just hearing it now. I'll give it a month and revise my impression. It's new now and different and I'm very in tune to my car so it is slightly unsettling during Rev match where my brain doesn't expect it. At a regular redline shift it just detracts from the amazing pops of the exhaust so I may just go full recirc if I don't get in tune with the sound.. Nice to have that option.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hear it venting boost when I go from 3/4 throttle to part throttle. Probably has always since the ECU is what controls our pressure release. I set the adjustment top dead center and will see if it is any different with a less sensitive adjustment (compressing the spring).

·
Registered
876 Posts
Ok.. Initial impression (10 miles of beating on the car) is.... disappoinment. I think the 'you will notice it hype' got to me. The sound is meh. PSST! Not what it was bought for so that's fine. It's on full VTA with the adjustment about 2mm above flush. Lag between gears and throttle response seems stock/unchanged. I drive the piss outta my car. I don't like the blow off during Rev match. Also that seems counter intuitive to holding of boost. I know it's exactly what happened before and I am just hearing it now. I'll give it a month and revise my impression. It's new now and different and I'm very in tune to my car so it is slightly unsettling during Rev match where my brain doesn't expect it. At a regular redline shift it just detracts from the amazing pops of the exhaust so I may just go full recirc if I don't get in tune with the sound.. Nice to have that option.
Did you adjust it properly as per the instructions and video? If you want more PSSSST, remove and plug the vent pipe and the intake port. It's essential to adjust it correctly. Take a gander at the video from GFB
If it's not adjust correctly it's not going to vent correctly.

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
I have mine 2.5 turns below top dead center. Throttle response is great!!! Put the screw even and mark it some how that way you can tell exactly how many turns you tuned it. I used some white touch up paint and let it dry, then I adjusted it. I get no compressor surge with it 2.5 turns below top dead center. Having it even is marginally better than a stock valve, operation wise. Nothing is ever perfect right out of the box. I had to adjust mine a few times to get it where I liked it. Let us know how it is after you adjust it. Should be much better.

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: Yames

·
Registered
876 Posts
Setting will be different, with nearly every application. Altitude, is a big factor when venting.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ya I was definitely adjusting it way too light. And I did take Ghost's advice and mark it so I know where I'm at vs previous. I have it 1 turn below flush and will keep adjusting a bit more. The manual from GFB said it literally required zero adjustment due to the N having an ECU controlled BPV. However, just like the video (I appreciate the link RED) it would open very easily and early with less preload (makes total sense). I'm assuming the more preload = the more boost it takes to illicit a blow off and the quicker it will close for better boost recovery. It was venting boost waay too easily before, so this adjustment seems critical even on our cars. I hope to get to where I notice better pickup between gears.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes sir, you have to take a little,care when adjusting a BOV, especially a recirculating BOV. You'll notice it more, it will allow faster boost recovery between shifts and when downshifting and applying hard throttle. There will be much less time for boost to recover.

GBF uses this as a start setting but as I stated each application will be different.:smile:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts