Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be picking up a VN this week but being a new car it's very hard to find common problems with the car, how stout the engine is etc.

Basically what are common failure points so far? Is it reliable? Do we know how much power the stock block can handle?

·
Registered
46 Posts
These are the most common I've come across:

High pressure fuel pump dies on the earlier VINs

Hard starting/slight rough idling - still a bit of a mystery on this but seems like it always comes back to injectors/plugs

Wheel clear coat/paint delamination

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I were buying a 2020 would I be subject to the problem? I've noticed the trans leak problems in the problems section of the board but most seem to get a new transmission.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I were buying a 2020 would I be subject to the problem? I've noticed the trans leak problems in the problems section of the board but most seem to get a new transmission.
I have a 2020 and I definitely have some sort of issue with rough starts and paused acceleration at times. Like the car will be at wot and halfway through the engine will just pause then accelerate again. It's only noticeable when driving very hard though. Dealer cooperation and willingness to help seems to be all over the board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is this something that, if you could go back, stop you from purchasing the vehicle? Like I said I'm likely purchasing one this week unless it has too many known problems.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is this something that, if you could go back, stop you from purchasing the vehicle? Like I said I'm likely purchasing one this week unless it has too many known problems.
No I don't think so. It's still a fantastic car and a terrific value. If my issue progresses beyond just a slight annoyance into a major issue without getting help from the dealer then I would regret it but that seems unlikely. It's the random only so often problems with no CEL that the dealer won't act on imo. It's pure fun to drive every time. And if I'm not driving hard I can manage 25-30mpg city by going straight for 5th gear.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Not sure about the most recently made models but thr 2019s and early 2020s most common problems seem to be the 6th gear issue where the car seems to physically block 6th gear, and the long start problem where the car sometimes cranks for way to long and then smells strongly of gasoline (this problem goes away for some people after break in including myself).
Both problems have been resolved by deslerships but depending on the dealership it could be a easy process or a nightmare.
I would bring up those issues to the dealership before you purchase to get an idea of how they will behave if you come across those issues.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My 2020 does not have any issues other than going into 6th gear sometimes resists a bit; usually when it is cold. Smooth quick starts. My power delivery is smooth too. We do have a good dealer and service department where I bought it. I know dealer quality is all over the map, but if I do have an issue I would not expect a problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sometimes the lock freezes and the drivers door does not open below 40F. The issue I have.... But I also have a winter vehicle. Dealer is aware of my issue and I am about to ask them to drill a vent hole in the bottom the mechanism to allow water that gets in to escape before it freezes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sometimes the lock freezes and the drivers door does not open below 40F. The issue I have.... But I also have a winter vehicle. Dealer is aware of my issue and I am about to ask them to drill a vent hole in the bottom the mechanism to allow water that gets in to escape before it freezes.
There was a recall for that issue wasn't there? I expected it to have been resolved by now

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not sure about the most recently made models but thr 2019s and early 2020s most common problems seem to be the 6th gear issue where the car seems to physically block 6th gear, and the long start problem where the car sometimes cranks for way to long and then smells strongly of gasoline (this problem goes away for some people after break in including myself).
Both problems have been resolved by deslerships but depending on the dealership it could be a easy process or a nightmare.
I would bring up those issues to the dealership before you purchase to get an idea of how they will behave if you come across those issues.
I have no issue with 6th but 1st and second occasionally feel som
There was a recall for that issue wasn't there? I expected it to have been resolved by now
There was. And now that he mentions it, every time I wash the car, lots of water seems to get trapped down in the door where the window recedes into. So when I roll them back up and down they're all streaky.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have no issue with 6th but 1st and second occasionally feel som

There was. And now that he mentions it, every time I wash the car, lots of water seems to get trapped down in the door where the window recedes into. So when I roll them back up and down they're all streaky.
I was not affected by the recal and my windows do the same. I hit the seams with compressed air while drying and that seems to help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about the leaking transmissions that require replacement I'm reading about in the complaint section?

·
Registered
119 Posts
What about the leaking transmissions that require replacement I'm reading about in the complaint section?
I think there have been a total of 4 (maybe 5?) on this forum that have been affected. Unfortunately, the issue is likely narrowed down to a small batch of transmission cases, which were randomly pulled into the production line so there's no correlation with a specific sequence of VINs. It's almost immediately apparent if yours is affected. I've not had any issues since the replacement, but some have had issues moreso with the dealerships actually identifying the problem than with the actual fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have occasional issues getting into 1st and 2nd gear. Also had some issues with a jerkiness in second, I only notice it when the car is cold and it could certainly be user error. My previous manual cars ('71 MGB, '93 Ford Ranger) weren't exactly comparable performance-wise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My only complaint for my VN is my vents for the A/C. I point them at me then after a few bumps while driving and the vents are pointing up. they never stay where i have them pointed at and being in Socal where it has been over 100 degrees since july, i notice this.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have occasional issues getting into 1st and 2nd gear. Also had some issues with a jerkiness in second, I only notice it when the car is cold and it could certainly be user error. My previous manual cars ('71 MGB, '93 Ford Ranger) weren't exactly comparable performance-wise.
Ive managed to get rid of low speed jerk from airflow mods. It seems the the oem system is excessively restrictive and i didnt even realize i fixed the issue until my last mod.

An intake, turbo inlet, downpipe, and 3inch non resonated midpipe have entirely gotten rid of the unbearable low speed jerk.

My only complaint for my VN is my vents for the A/C. I point them at me then after a few bumps while driving and the vents are pointing up. they never stay where i have them pointed at and being in Socal where it has been over 100 degrees since july, i notice this.
That doesn't sound right. My air vents are stiff and no amount of crap roads and bounces move them an inch. I recommend getting them swapped by the warrenty, especially if theres another N at the dealer that you can quickly compare the loose vents to?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Keep in mind that forums tend to magnify problems. Cars are manufactured items and there will always be a small percentage of failures. That is what the warranty is for if something goes south. Most of these cars are perfectly fine. Here is an example from the old Vibe / Matrix forums. The GT / XRS versions had the Toyota 2ZZ engine. I had a Vibe GT. The throttle tip-in is terrible. If you look at the accelerator the rpm's bounce-up over 2k. I actually retrained myself to let out the clutch and then feather-in the throttle. This caused me to kill my N twice during my test drive. So I had to recalibrate my feet post purchase. Anyway, on the forums people were killing their clutches in 20k miles or less. The dealer's suck, the car is a lemon, etc. All the usual stuff. I traded mine with about 115k miles with the original clutch. Take these reported problems with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts