Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
127 Posts
Well, not trying to burst you bubble but right now, Hyundai is not allowing any modifications to the N. There was a definite, no modifications statement from them. You also have to think; they are only going to be 200 total shipped to the states this year.

You stated regular fuel in the video regular fuel. You can't run regular fuel in the N. It's rated for a minimum of 91 octane which is premium. Or you meant utilizing a higher octane racing fuel. Looking forward to see what it's capable of but keep in mind you're limited to the number that will actually be available,

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
38 Posts
im slightly confused about the numbers it put out . The dyno graph says flywheel torque and flywheel horsepower .
those numbers 250hp 290tq have to be wheel horsepower and wheel torque numbers . 290 lb/ft is alot if that is to the wheel that means flywheel torque would be in the 300 + range

·
Banned
127 Posts
The vary drastically from dyno to dyno, especially with ambient weather conditions also. Mustang is probably one of the worst and Dynanack is a modular low cost unit. Dynojet, is generally the norm when tuning and the most efficient and accurate. Proper setup, programming and operation are a must. You have to keep up with programming updates and calibrations.

Dynapack is load is simulated on the car via a hydraulic pump.

There are actually 9 types of dynos. but I'll list the most used at this time.

Dynojet - two 2wd Dynojet's connected via a "frame" inertial rolling road.
Mustang - two rollers connected "timing belt" basically inertial rolling road.
Dynapack - 4 "pods" instead of 2.

Also with the N's Theta engine, there have been unexpected higher and lower whp readings from engine to engine. Some have been recorded to as high as 294 whp and some as low as 265 whp with the performance pack. Looks like they were unlucky in the motor they got with the lower whp readings.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
127 Posts
Winter Fuel Blends!

GarageLine is in Maryland, another minus for poor testing weather. Too much humidity makes a big difference in dyno pulls. It was raining there and probably cold. Not good for peak testing. You want dry (lower humidity), lower altitude, without precipitation of any kind for the best conditions.:wink::smile:

Any good tune shop knows this as optimal conditions for peak dyno pulls. Not saying they aren't, they only have so much they can work with.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
127 Posts
15 HP Loss at the wheels. That's pretty normal for the standard.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
127 Posts
No it's the standard version and does not have the PP. So, it's only rated at 250 hp. The PP pack version, has 275 which is 25 more than the standard version.

Blessings and Peace

·
Banned
127 Posts
Yes, you're right sorry. I didn't notice until you brought it up.

I told you about the Mustang Dyno above. They always give lower readings and are generally less accurate.

It also didn't sound like they were running it in N mode either. More like normal mode. It was far to quiet for the N mode, with the active exhaust also. It's sounds just like the normal mode. in our PP N. N mode gives a sharp crackle and pop when backing off in any gear. Also Sport mode has a much deeper and louder sound.

It may be purposeful or shear ignorance on the part of the dyno operator. It's obvious, they weren't doing a pull in either; Sport or N Mode. This isn't indicative of the actual horsepower output for the PP N. You can hear the difference in the first video between the Normal Mode and the N Mode. You can also see they weren't utilizing an exhaust box to trap the exhaust coming from the N in either video.

I believe they were doing their pull in normal mode. I also know there are different fuel tables and mapping between all modes. You can feel it in the way the N w/PP performs in each mode. The only way to find out for sure, is to compare the fuel tables in each mode from the ECU.

In Europe and Australia the I30N is equipped with the exact same 2.0T Theta engine used in the Veloster N. They're pulling very near to the rated 275+ hp and some even more. Eventually, I'll find out when we dyno ours with the OE ECU and then the DTUK Tuner installed. It will be done on a new freshly calibrated Dynojet Dyno.

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
37 Posts
The N can run regular fuel. This was right from the dealer when I bought it and confirmed in the owners manual.

Albert Bierman also said in interview it can safely run on regular unleaded fuel but will do so at a reduced level of performance. In my opinion "reduced performance" = not doing it but it can be "safely" done if required.

Also motortrend published and article about the Veloster N fuel economy and said:

"That’s also only half the story. You see, unlike the Type R, the Veloster N doesn’t require premium fuel. Even though it’s turbocharged, it runs on good, old-fashioned 87-octane. By the EPA’s calculations, that little detail means you’ll save about $1,750 USD over the next five years." (https://www.motortrend.ca/en/news/2019-hyundai-veloster-n-gets/)

Mine on the other hand will only ever see Ultra 94 :D.

Also, for them to say "no modifications allowed" is bollocks. First off you own the car after purchase, not them. They cannot dictate what you do with it through any means.

Even from a warranty perspective, a blanket loss of warranty due to a modification is a violation of consumer protection Acts, specifically the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

"Although many dealers would have you think otherwise, simply having an aftermarket part or modifying your vehicle cannot void your warranty." -Edmunds.

There is a requirement for the warranty provider to prove that the failure was a direct result of the modification in order to legally break a warranty contract. The only exceptions being improper use and negligent maintenance practices which both must be outlined and defined in the owners manual and warranty information.

I checked the paperwork I just got with my N and it actually states that warranty claims may be denied if the failure is a direct result of modification.

I only know this as I have been a long time modifier of vehicles (18 years and not a single bone stock car to be had) and have had a big fight with Mazda (which I won) when they tried to deny a warranty claim because of a modification completly unrealted to the problem. They will always try to deny your claim but if you fight back they end up not having a leg to stand on in most cases.

·
Banned
127 Posts
Veloster N doesn’t require premium fuel.
US owners manual says 91 octane period. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Read the Warranty portion of the owners manual. Reversible mods are non evasive and undetectable.:grin::wink:

Blessings and Peace

·
Registered
37 Posts
US owners manual says 91 octane period. We have the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Read the Warranty portion of the owners manual. Reversible mods are non evasive and undetectable.:grin::wink:

Blessings and Peace
This is what I'm sayin, what they don't know can't hurt you haha. I for one am looking forward to some of the tuning options once they get tested for a couple years and really get smoothed out. I had a cobalt SS Turbo back in 2009 that was fun, but man did that thing wake up with a good tune. Hoping this will be the same.

As for the fuel, There are mixed reports but I will honestly admit it is pretty pointless. Just because some say it is "safe" doesn't mean it's right. Nerfing the performance of this car to save a couple bucks on a tank is a sin.

·
Banned
127 Posts
:grin:Got a tuner already from DTUK.

Blessings and Peace

1 - 15 of 15 Posts