Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Garage door opener

18K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  ultraviolet 
#1 ·
New VN owner here. Am loving this car!! Is there a way to program a garage door button?
Cant seem to find anything in the manuals....

#2 ·
This was literally the first thing my father asked when he came into town on Vacation and needed to run an errand in the car.

He could not believe that the car didn't have a garage door button somewhere and spent quite awhile trying to find where it would be. The answer to my knowledge is that there is no programmable garage door button on this car.

#4 ·
There is no 'Homelink' option on the N (at least, not in the US, and not that I'm aware of -- I looked when I was shopping). I do wish it had it, it has all those other buttons on the rearview. But alas... My Evo didn't have it, either, so it's not like I wasn't already used to that. :D

#9 ·
Very minor annoyance, but, yes, with all the buttons on the rear mirror and the infotainment tablet and bluelink already there, you'd think a spot for a very common daily interaction with the garage remote would be provided.

But it's not.

I'm putting my remote in the sunglasses dropdown tray, at least for now.

Thx,
- Joe

#13 ·
Nice work! I read somewhere that those wouldn't fit? Do all the buttons work okay? Any special wiring considerations we need? If not, I'm going to be ordering two. Both my son and my wife just bought a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N. One is blue and one is white.

-Sam

#14 ·
The mirror itself fit perfectly. The wiring is pretty straight forward; I'd splurge on some better wire splitters/splicers than what come in the pack, but they'll do fine. I'd also pick up a trim removal tool (if you don't already have one) just to make the disassembly easier.I pretty much followed the advice in this thread .

Both my son and my wife just bought a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N. One is blue and one is white.
Nice! Any other plans in the works?

--JamesT

#18 ·
Just paid for them. I will be installing them soon.

On another note, I was also able to find a hose to better match the oil catch cans. Normally the hose comes out of the catch can and makes a 90 degree turn down into the motor. I ordered a hose with a 90 degree bend that should completely eliminate that hose so we'll see how it works out. If all is good, I'll post a part number.

-Sam

#19 ·
Just an fyi, a good silicone tube will not kink like rubber and can withstand almost 500 degrees. When the rubber ones start to crack on mine I am going with silicone replacements.

Br,

-Mike

#21 ·
It wouldn't be bad to buy ones with nylon in it for that reason but silicone is much more durable than rubber is. I replaced all of my BOV solenoid hoses with silicone ones. No problems so far and there is pressure in those too, but have thick walls on them.

BTW, loved those old Neon SRT's. :)

Br,

-Mike

#25 · (Edited)
A remote from Amazon works perfectly fine instead of the button and it's around 50$. I got a garage door opener installed by a guy from advantagegd.com and he recommended me to get that remote. Before this, I had a car that had a built-in button especially for the garage door opener, and I must say it was really convenient. The remote may get lost so it's a struggle sometimes, but overall it's a pretty good and cheap option. I know there were some apps for the phone also. Does anyone use such an app?

#28 ·
A remote from Amazon works perfectly fine instead of the button and it's around 50$. I got a garage door opener installed by a guy from advantagegd.com and he recommended me to get that remote. Before this, I had a car that had a built-in button especially for the garage door opener, and I must say it was really convenient. The remote may get lost so it's a struggle sometimes, but overall it's a pretty good and cheap option. I know there were some apps for the phone also. Does anyone use such an app?
I bought two auto-dimming mirrors that are listed here for $52 each delivered. Relatively easy install and definitely worth the money. Much better than a handheld garage door opener if you like the auto-dimming as well as the built-in look. These also have great range vs. some handheld garage door openers.

I also have the "myQ" garage door opener app on my Liftmaster (Chamberlain) garage door opener. It's nice to have as well and I would recommend it. It's not necessarily convenient for use in the car; at least not for me. I hate getting my phone out and then trying to open the app, then clicking the button. I also have a weird spot in the driveway where my phone wants to switch from cellular to wifi for the house (and visa versa) which makes it even worse. The "myQ" is nice because it will alert you if you accidentally left the garage door open. I would recommend. They sell it separately as an add-on to most garage door openers.

-Sam

#31 ·
Just popping in to say that I went ahead and installed the new mirror today. Install went smoothly, but I have some thoughts on it that might be useful for people performing this mod in the future.

I did go ahead and use the t-taps instead of actual electrical connectors, because the harness has absolutely no slack. The rear-view mirror harness is physically mounted to the inside of the headliner, except for where it's exposed and plugs into the mirror. There's also large foam blocks and sheets that insulate the headliner from the metal roof, so there is exactly zero wiggle room for fiddling with the wiring. That being the case, I just used the supplied t-taps as I could barely fit my small pliers, let alone my crimping tool. The existing connectors also barely fit between the headliner and the windshield, and it took a lot of care to pull the headliner down enough to tuck them into it like the instructions say, without actually damaging or distorting anything. There is no chance the larger deutsch connectors would be able to slip through the gap.

Installing the t-taps was straightforward; I installed them as far back from the connectors as I possibly could, which was about 6" for the 12v+BAT (dome light connector; red wire), and about 3" for the 12v+IGN (factory mirror connector; pinkish wire). The factory harness has fleece loom tape on it, so I peeled it off, snapped the t-taps onto the wires, and re-wrapped everything with new Tesa fleece loom tape. This included wrapping the t-taps themselves; the tape is extremely flexible and wraps tightly, so the t-tap has no possibility of loosening off the wire on its own, as it's now "integrated" into the loom wrapping. I also wrapped the harness that comes with the kit (it can still be unplugged; I wrapped the wires and t-tap/spade connectors separately). The manual wants you to use the thick sticky foam they include, which I did use for the main connector, but I didn't like how they wanted me to wrap loops of wire with it. The fleece loom tape is tailored for that job, and will prevent any rattles, which is the primary intention of the provided foam.

All in all, I managed to make everything look factory, so I'm happy with the end results. Also to clarify, the mirror I purchased looks identical to the one that came with the car, other than the additional buttons/features. Same size, same shape, etc. -- I know some people had concerns in other threads re: replacing the mirror, about how well it fit in.

To clarify, this is the exact unit I purchased.

#33 ·
So I did the mirror install as instructed and everything works just fine. Dimming function, Homelink, map/BlueLink buttons, etc. But the buttons are always backlit (including the green LED and the compass), even when the car is totally off and has been sitting for a long time. My wife's Santa Fe has the same mirror in it and it powers completely off and goes totally dark when the car is off. Do we not have a switched positive we can connect to?

#34 · (Edited)
But the buttons are always backlit (including the green LED and the compass), even when the car is totally off and has been sitting for a long time.
If this happens, then you have accidentally connected the 12v+BAT to the mirror adapter 12v+IGN wire. Of the two loose wires with spade connectors, the instructions state that the black wire w/ red tracer is the 12v+IGN wire. The all black wire is the 12v+BAT connection. Assuming you have the t-taps installed on the correct wires, you should be able to just swap the spade connectors.

My wife's Santa Fe has the same mirror in it and it powers completely off and goes totally dark when the car is off. Do we not have a switched positive we can connect to?
12v+IGN is the pinkish wire on the factory mirror harness. 12v+BAT is the red wire on the dome light harness.

If you need additional help, here's the installation manual for the mirror. Although you will want to ignore the instructions about what wires to install the t-taps on, as these instructions were originally designed for another vehicle. The rest of the instructions are fine though.

#36 · (Edited)
An old thread but, wanted to report that for the 2021 Veloster N, no wiring changes are necessary. It was truly a 'plug and play' with all features working on the mirror (Homelink, compass, auto-dim and the BlueLink buttons) all working on on the new (used) mirror.

UPDATE
Apparently homelink on the mirror only works with the lights on. I usually have my lights in auto mode and I live near Seattle - so the lights are usually on... Today was unseasonably bright and homelink stopped working. After troubleshooting it for a bit, with it working in the dark garage and sporadically working outside, I figured it out.
So - it does work without any wiring changes if your headlights are on. Sounds like a wiring change could be needed but, I’m leaving it as is for now.
Sorry for the confusion.

Regards,

Jim

#41 ·
HyundaI Sonata/Santa Fe/Genesis/Elantra Interior Rear View Mirror Homelink - Kia | eBay this is the exact listing. I guess this person has more than 1.

Removal
1. Pull off the center plastic piece above the mirror. The 2x1" piece, pull from the bottom.
2. Unplug the mirror 10 pin connector there is a small clip and it pulls up.
3. Using a T20 torx, a long one or an L style is the easiest a socket is too fat.
4. Turn the torx screw a few turns counter clockwise to loosen it, does not need to be removed. The screw is under the mirror at the bottom, you will see where it is on the new mirror real easy.
5. Slide the mirror up and off.

Install
6. Slide on new mirror.
7. attach 10 pin connector
8. tighten torx snug
9. reattach plastic cover

Setup/Calibrate
10. Hold power button until you see a zone in the compass. Set the correct Zone
Plant Slope Font Art Pattern

11. Hold the power button longer until you see a C. Then drive in a circle to calibrate.
12. Setup homelink - make sure your lights are on (running lights or low beams) unless you wired the extra power button. (this is the only "bug")
13. Hold down the homelink button you want to program until it flashes red then hit the button on your garage remote within 1-3 inches of the mirror.
14. You should be all set

#43 ·
HyundaI Sonata/Santa Fe/Genesis/Elantra Interior Rear View Mirror Homelink - Kia | eBay this is the exact listing. I guess this person has more than 1.

Removal
1. Pull off the center plastic piece above the mirror. The 2x1" piece, pull from the bottom.
2. Unplug the mirror 10 pin connector there is a small clip and it pulls up.
3. Using a T20 torx, a long one or an L style is the easiest a socket is too fat.
4. Turn the torx screw a few turns counter clockwise to loosen it, does not need to be removed. The screw is under the mirror at the bottom, you will see where it is on the new mirror real easy.
5. Slide the mirror up and off.

Install
6. Slide on new mirror.
7. attach 10 pin connector
8. tighten torx snug
9. reattach plastic cover

Setup/Calibrate
10. Hold power button until you see a zone in the compass. Set the correct Zone View attachment 8720
11. Hold the power button longer until you see a C. Then drive in a circle to calibrate.
12. Setup homelink - make sure your lights are on (running lights or low beams) unless you wired the extra power button. (this is the only "bug")
13. Hold down the homelink button you want to program until it flashes red then hit the button on your garage remote within 1-3 inches of the mirror.
14. You should be all set
Thanks for the fast response!! I'll definitely consider this soon.

-Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.