Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N (PP) White
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a new set of wheels and tires, wanted to share with the community so as to add to the list of "approved" builds that someone can trust will at least for sure FIT the car. I wanted an all-season setup with a little more sidewall than the 19s. I'm keeping the stock 19s and wrapping them in some high performance summers or track tires for a summer/track setup, but that's more of a future plan.

This is on stock suspension and stock PP brakes; no rubbing at any steering lock; full brake clearance.
I asked the guys that did my alignment to get as much negative camber out of the front as they could, they said stock setup limits them to about -1.1, so that's my front, and -2.0 on the back.

Wheels:
Enkei TS10
18x8.5
+50 Offset
72.6mm Hub Bore (larger than VN's 67.1mm hub, so hub centric rings are recommended)

Tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS
235/40ZR18

Comparisons with Stock 19s
Sizing:
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

Font Number Rectangle Screenshot Brand

Fitment:
Glasses Guitar accessory Sleeve Skateboard deck Sports equipment

Speedometer Error:
(since its a SLIGHTLY smaller overall diameter)
Head Eye Rectangle Font Smile

Pictures:
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
132 Posts
dws tires are more like summers than all seasons you’ll have a lot of trouble in the snow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dws tires are more like summers than all seasons you’ll have a lot of trouble in the snow.
I know what you mean, but I live in Georgia, so these are perfect for MY "all season" experience.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know what you mean, but I live in Georgia, so these are perfect for MY "all season" experience.
Just hope you have alternative transportation on the off chance it snows it did snow quite a bit in Texas last year so anything is possible.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just hope you have alternative transportation on the off chance it snows it did snow quite a bit in Texas last year so anything is possible.
I'm not really worried about it. The S in DWS is Snow. They may be high performance but they still ARE all seasons. The 5 days it might snow in Georgia in a year don't really scare me. I'm not exactly trying to PERFORM in the snow either, just survive, and I'm confident these will be enough to survive Georgia winter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
These tires should do fine in light snow and wet conditions. "All-Season" does not mean they are snow tires. I used to run all-season tires on my Civic Si year round in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Setup looks great! Were there any noticeable change in ride quality?

Ran Dws 06 plus on my old mazda ran great in light/normal snow. Still deciding between the michelins and continental for the N this season though.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
516 Posts
I have a 235/40 R18 setup with Rial Lucca rims. I have Michelin Pilot All Seasons. They were really well.

Reactions: Clo44

·
Registered
2021 VN - White
30 Posts
I have a 235/40 R18 setup with Rial Lucca rims. I have Michelin Pilot All Seasons. They were really well.
I'm looking to get these exact rims from tire rack, but wrapped in 225/40's as a few sites have recommended that fitment. Would going with a 235 be more beneficial? I should also note that these tires I'd be getting are strictly winter tires, as I already have a summer set, which may sway that decision on fitment.

Also, did going from +55 to +50 offset make much of a difference?

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
516 Posts
I put the 235 versus the 225 for cornering. I like the wider tire look too. I do find that my OEM tires have better and more crisp steering. Is that because they are P Zeros on bigger rims or the offset? Honestly, I do not know. I feel like the OEM setup wants to "take me into" corners versus driving into them. I hope that makes sense in some weird way. What I have still handles well. The 18" wheels do take some of the harshness out. I bought these so that I could drive the car year-around and still have the OEM tires for the nice weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Setup looks great! Were there any noticeable change in ride quality?
Its hard to say if its objectively better honestly, cause I'm so caught up in the fact that its subjectively different. My biggest comment is just that its more different than I thought it'd be. If i had to describe it, it feels like the car lags to return to center a little more than before, and the steering is lighter until you get to higher angles. It feels less responsive and gummy in small angles but confident in corners.

As for objective quality I guess it does feel a little bouncier, as opposed to the bumpy feeling of the 19s.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wouldn’t it be smarter to keep the factory wheels with a better tire for ur everyday driving and then do a lighter better tire for the summer and track driving??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wouldn’t it be smarter to keep the factory wheels with a better tire for ur everyday driving and then do a lighter better tire for the summer and track driving??
If you are okay with staying on 19s for everyday driving, are okay with having to mount and remount tires as opposed to just swapping wheels, and are okay with the inevitable flaws in the stock 19s clear coat coming to light while being your only wheel, then yes, that is the cheaper option. That doesn't fit my personal criteria/goals though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you are okay with staying on 19s for everyday driving, are okay with having to mount and remount tires as opposed to just swapping wheels, and are okay with the inevitable flaws in the stock 19s clear coat coming to light while being your only wheel, then yes, that is the cheaper option. That doesn't fit my personal criteria/goals though.
I guess I wrote that wrong. What I meant was keep the factory wheels for everyday and use a lighter wheel ie 18s with a better tire for ur track and summer driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I wrote that wrong. What I meant was keep the factory wheels for everyday and use a lighter wheel ie 18s with a better tire for ur track and summer driving.
Gotcha. Well the lightness of 18s would definitely be attractive to a lot of people performance-wise but I think you might lose some "feeling" and responsiveness since it's more sidewall.

It's kinda backwards in my eyes. 19s for more track feel, 18s for everyday.

The ideal setup I think is in between our solutions but it's also the most expensive: buy BETTER 19s for track AND 18s for everyday.

The weight reduction in my wallet isn't worth it to me though :(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Probably depends on your goals with track tires as well. If you are at the track to enjoy the car and have a blast then the OE 19's will probably be a perfect track tire for you. But if you are at the track to chase fastest lap times or compete in any kind of competition, 18's will definitely be your best option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are at the track to enjoy the car and have a blast then the OE 19's will probably be a perfect track tire for you.
I've tracked mine once so far at Atlanta Motorsports Park, its pretty incredible for a stock build. It was my first track day ever so I wasn't focused on times at all, just staying on the line and close to the limit, and the stock setup is more than capable of providing a good, fun, safe experience (given that the pirellis arent too old).

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Veloster N Dct in Performance Blue
3 Posts
Recently got a new set of wheels and tires, wanted to share with the community so as to add to the list of "approved" builds that someone can trust will at least for sure FIT the car. I wanted an all-season setup with a little more sidewall than the 19s. I'm keeping the stock 19s and wrapping them in some high performance summers or track tires for a summer/track setup, but that's more of a future plan.

This is on stock suspension and stock PP brakes; no rubbing at any steering lock; full brake clearance.
I asked the guys that did my alignment to get as much negative camber out of the front as they could, they said stock setup limits them to about -1.1, so that's my front, and -2.0 on the back.

Wheels:
Enkei TS10
18x8.5
+50 Offset
72.6mm Hub Bore (larger than VN's 67.1mm hub, so hub centric rings are recommended)

Tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS
235/40ZR18

Comparisons with Stock 19s
Sizing:
View attachment 7137

View attachment 7139

Fitment:
View attachment 7138

Speedometer Error:
(since its a SLIGHTLY smaller overall diameter)
View attachment 7140

Pictures:
View attachment 7141

View attachment 7142
Love those wheels with the white paint

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same Continental tire in 225/45-18 on motegi mr116 with the below specs and no rubbing. Great poked out look and came perfectly flush with increased negative camber. I'm in Minnesota and used to run dedicated winter tires but having a track car I decided to all season year round and keep the OEM wheels for track tires. Discount tire suggested these tires for the best snow tolerance of the all season offerings. I have the flexibility to work from home and we have a 4runner if we have to get out in the crud so I know what I'm giving up and what my options are. I just don't want 3 sets of tires for one car.

OEM for track, hear me out please. Offset is perfect and appears to be about the only wheel that allows this. Durability and warranty for bashing the curbs at apexes on the track and I was concerned with getting an economical, cosmetic cast aftermarket wheel taking the abuse on the track. I wasn't ready to spend $400+ on a forged or pressure cast wheel for a handful of track days. Prefer 18 for ride quality on the daily. So short of throwing a set of OEM wheels away and buying two new sets of wheels, plus maybe storing a third set for snow or needing expensive track day wheels, this was the most economical and confidence inspiring solution I found. Optimum for everyone else? Certainly not. Maybe I'll find the dws just don't hack winter and I need to get blizzaks but I can cross that bridge when I get there as right now I won't ever need to go into snow with the Veloster.
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Font Material property
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

1 - 19 of 19 Posts