Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ethanol is really on a problem if it sits in the tank for long periods (more than 30 days) as it will start to separate. If you're fueling up at least once a month, there's no real harm in using ethanol "enhanced" fuels. If you've got the option of non-ethanol 93, I'd use that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Octane matters more than anything. Pure gas will give you better mileage but you will actually be down on power because ethanol makes better power.
Inaccurate...
Comparatively speaking, oxygenated 93 octane (with ethanol) and non-oxygenated 93 (pure gasoline) will both make the same amount of power in the car. The octane has nothing to do with how much power the fuel provides or the engine can produce, but it's resistance to pre-detonation. Higher octane fuel allows for more aggressive timing without the fuel detonating due to compression/heat prior to the spark plug igniting it. That's why you get "more power" with higher octane in an engine set up for it, it can use an aggressive timing map.

Now, with E-85 you can get more power, but it is at a higher octane rating again, which when tuned for it, allows for higher compression/more aggressive timing.

Ethanol blends come at a cost of efficiency though as ethanol has less stored energy than gasoline, so you have to burn more of it to get equal power.

So, as long as both are at 93 octane (and the Veloster N is tuned for 91 octane), you can use them interchangeably. You'll get better efficiency, but at a higher cost. The stations in my area with non ethanol fuels charge at least $0.10 more a gallon than the ones selling ethanol blend.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Inaccurate...
Comparatively speaking, oxygenated 93 octane (with ethanol) and non-oxygenated 93 (pure gasoline) will both make the same amount of power in the car. The octane has nothing to do with how much power the fuel provides or the engine can produce, but it's resistance to pre-detonation. Higher octane fuel allows for more aggressive timing without the fuel detonating due to compression/heat prior to the spark plug igniting it. That's why you get "more power" with higher octane in an engine set up for it, it can use an aggressive timing map.

Now, with E-85 you can get more power, but it is at a higher octane rating again, which when tuned for it, allows for higher compression/more aggressive timing.

Ethanol blends come at a cost of efficiency though as ethanol has less stored energy than gasoline, so you have to burn more of it to get equal power.

So, as long as both are at 93 octane (and the Veloster N is tuned for 91 octane), you can use them interchangeably. You'll get better efficiency, but at a higher cost. The stations in my area with non ethanol fuels charge at least $0.10 more a gallon than the ones selling ethanol blend.
Maybe I shouldn't have been so quick in my explanation, but we're saying the same thing. Octane matters because knock/pre-detonation and while the car will run the same on a 93 mix or a 93 pure, it's how efficiently it uses that fuel to create the same power. Hence, you'll get better mileage using pure gas.

·
Registered
137 Posts
All of the stations in the metro Atlanta area are E-15 no matter the brand (I probably have to drive 40 miles out to find a station with non-ethanol). Brand really doesn't matter much; it's more about the additives, anyways... I stick with Shell, Chevron, Exxon, and BP. Never had a problem running Shell's V 93.

·
Registered
130 Posts
There's a website that has a list of all the Top Tier stations. Google it. A Top Tier station has nothing to do with the octane of the fuel, it means these stations carry fuel that has a certain level of additives & detergents etc.

Another advantage of E10 vs ethanol free fuel is that ethanol is a cleaning agent and I've seen pics of heads where the owner used E85 and the valve train is spotless. Some people claim ethanol can damage fuel lines or whatever 🙄 mostly because their uncle\dad\cousin\drug dealer said so. Every car made since 2011 is made for ethanol and can't be damaged by it. Let's just get that out of the way right now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts