Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a small trip today and averaged 31.5 in ECO the entire trip (190 miles). Used the cruise when I could and drove “responsibly” (which is no fun). Anyway, I was impressed with the number and thought I’d share.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car starts in NORMAL. One press of this button puts the car in Sport mode and a second puts the car in ECO mode. The throttle seems like the primary thing affect, but I’m sure there is more to it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I seriously average 16mpg on N custom mode. Driving conservatively gets me at most 21.5. I have a fairly short highway commute of 10 miles but mostly drive in the city. Durring my highway commute with a splash of city driving, i average 19mpg weekly. Sucks compared to my previous 40mpg car, but its worth the fun 😂

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I am just driving normally, I tend to shift early and cruise. The mileage on this N is way better than my Genesis Coupe. One time, and only one time, I was able to get better than 30 mpg on my Genesis. I was picking-up my nephew from the airport from a redeye. I hit cruise at 60 mph and rode cruise in from the highway closest to my home all the way to the airport. 22 - 24 mpg is typical of the coupe. I have seen 29 mpg in the N, but she is still getting broken-in. Working from home keeps the miles down.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I seriously average 16mpg on N custom mode. Driving conservatively gets me at most 21.5. I have a fairly short highway commute of 10 miles but mostly drive in the city. Durring my highway commute with a splash of city driving, i average 19mpg weekly. Sucks compared to my previous 40mpg car, but its worth the fun 😂
16? You must really be pushing it most of the way. Similar driving for me and if I go hard I'll usually average 19. If I shift earlier and use 5th in place of 4th I can comfortably average 25 in N custom.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you’re a ways from your gas station and close to empty it switches to Prius mode.

View attachment 3227
My Gen Coupe does the same thing, though I never try to go below 60 miles left due to potential damage to the fuel pump. What is happening is the ECU is opening the waste gate on the turbo so your turbo is spinning, but not providing any boost. You will note that you will think you are driving an Accent at that point. That is where the engineers put mileage above fun because you might not be in a good position. Seriously, you should refill around a 1/4 of a tank or so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I do normally fill up much sooner but was trying to run all the cleaner additive out before changing my oil. Either way that’s good advice as the cons do outweigh anything I was trying to accomplish. Even filling at this point I only got a little over 11.5 gallons to go in so maybe still holds 1.5 gal at 0 range?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I get back to some consistent driving I will have to check this out. I found that my Gen Coupe would report a bit low. The solution was to stop monitoring gas mileage altogether and just have fun. I reasoned if mileage was so important I would be driving a hybrid so that could virtue signal to the world my purity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just made a trip from home (about 40 miles west of dallas) to Broken Bow for vacation on Monday. TONS of hills, but I still managed to get 29.0 by hypermiling. On the return trip I didn't do that and was able to pull off 27.8. These past 3 days I've just been driving locally and I was averaging 29.5 keeping it in my N Custom mode. I'm very happy with the gas mileage from this car. On 93 with my Speed I was lucky to hit 24.5, on my E85 mix I was lucky to hit 22.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I drive 50miles a day, half street/ half freeway (los angeles area 5 fwy and 405fwy) and after 3000 miles my N is averaging
26.5mpg. I am totally satisfied.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used to live in San Diego. I am very familiar with the 405 and I-5. I still remember coming-up over a hill on the 405 and all of the cars on the downside were completely stopped. Skidding sideways was kind of fun...in retrospect.

·
Registered
127 Posts
If I get back to some consistent driving I will have to check this out. I found that my Gen Coupe would report a bit low. The solution was to stop monitoring gas mileage altogether and just have fun. I reasoned if mileage was so important I would be driving a hybrid so that could virtue signal to the world my purity.
I check my mileage at every fill up on every car I drive. It is an excellent diagnostic tool at the very least because if there's a sudden change in MPG without any valid reason (not driving any differently for example), then something may be wrong and that's a good first indication.

I still have lots of fun with every tank, but I check just the same.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I check my mileage at every fill up on every car I drive. It is an excellent diagnostic tool at the very least because if there's a sudden change in MPG without any valid reason (not driving any differently for example), then something may be wrong and that's a good first indication.

I still have lots of fun with every tank, but I check just the same.
Have you found that the VN overestimates its MPG like your other vehicles?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Have you found that the VN overestimates its MPG like your other vehicles?
I do not yet own a VN (working on saving up for a down payment to keep payments low), but every single car I've ever owned/driven extensively has overestimated the MPG. It does vary somewhat, but my wife's 2018 Edge SEL is up by at least 1.5mpg on around town driving. It gets more accurate on long highway drives, but still figures high. The only car I've driven that is within a few tenths of accuracy is my 2003 Acura RSX, which uses the Torque Pro app on my android powered head unit. It's only as accurate as it is because I've spent time tweaking the variable on the calculation.
The math is simple enough, reset trip odometer when you fill the tank. Drive as you do, then when refilling divide the miles traveled by the gallons filled. Fill to the auto stop, never "give it an extra squeeze" to maintain accuracy. I'm willing to bet you'll find it's not dead on. If it's within a few tenths, close enough though.

·
Super Moderator
881 Posts
I average between 27 to 30 mpg. Gets about 350 to 384 miles per tank full.

Br,

-Mike

·
Registered
18 Posts
I did a 20 mile city roads trip this morning that I've done about 5 times since getting the car. In other words, a good baseline for checking mpg. Every time I've been in n custom. This time I stayed out of 4th gear entirely and used 5th. This alone even with pushing it hard from 1st thru 3rd increased my average mpg from 19-20 to 24.5. at least according to the car.

Edit: took another shot at mpg improvements and drove in normal mode utilizing 6th gear as much as possible on city roads (45mph) roads. Got 33.8mpg, no joke. Awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts