Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I started to hear a slight creaking/squeaking sound a couple weeks back when entering or exiting a steep driveway and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same. 2019 with 19k miles.
  • It mostly does it when the car has been sitting overnight and the suspension is cold i.e. leaving my house in the morning
  • It happens if turning into/out of the driveway from the left or right
  • It's more pronounced (louder) if the wheels are turned sharply vs. straight when hitting the driveway
  • 100% stock suspension, not even a strut brace
  • Car otherwise feels and drives fine
I'm thinking potentially premature ball joint failure but haven't seen anyone mention this on the Ns yet (and it's obv odd why they'd already fail so early).

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
557 Posts
I would start by looking at the rubber bushings, etc. You can also check the torque of the strut towers. Look at the easy stuff first. Also, do you have the Pirelli tires and are you located someplace where it is cold in the morning? Before laying-up my car on jack stands my tires would squeak when turned if it was cool out. The summer tires are no good below 45 degrees F. It could be that simple.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I figured it would be some bushing or ball joint. I'll check the strut towers and suspension joints when I do the oil this weekend but it would be kinda weird why those loosened up.

I'm on aftermarket wheels and Conti ECS but this happened even before I switched to the new wheels/tires. Pretty sure it's suspension and not wheel/tire related. I'm in SoCal so it doesn't get too cold here.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
Creaks or pops generally come from two primary areas; sway bar endlinks or CV joints. There are other areas to pay attention too and those are; steering knuckles in the steering column or the steering gear. These areas are prone to cracking and popping. Also check the spring perches for rust, if they are clean them and lubricate. Remember they primarily set, metal to metal.

There's really no reason for the strut tower bolts to be loose. Salt can cause metal part to seize up slightly and corrode. Cold weather doesn't help either but can cause additional metal to metal creaks.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha salt isn't a concern around these parts and I don't live too close to the ocean. My money is on ball joints or sway bar end links - maybe some dummy at the dealer lifted the car wrong from one of the prior oil changes 🤷‍♂️ (which is partly why I'm gonna start wrenching myself)

·
Registered
557 Posts
After all this I am going to vote for the sway bar end links. My wife's Elantra would occasionally creak and the dealer replaced the end link under warranty. Living in SoCal you have pretty ideal weather and no rust if you are all inland. I graduated from UCSD so I am familiar with the area a bit.

Reactions: ultraviolet

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
I have the exact same thing happen; exactly once, when leaving in the morning, the front suspension will creak loudly when reaching the end of the driveway. Won't do it again unless you let the car sit for an extended period (8+ hrs).

·
Registered
557 Posts
I am still wondering about the tires. Mine would squeak in November as soon as I turned the wheel. Once they warmed-up they were fine. I knew this behavior from others with P Zero tires. When it gets into the forties the cold tires are pretty much hockey pucks. Inland in So Cal at night can get pretty cool. It is February. What are your morning temps?

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N
61 Posts
I'm in the Reno-Tahoe area, so it has been averaging about 25*F in the morning; I have the Michelin Pilots on the car, not the P-Zeros. They're still summer tires, but they seem to handle lower temperatures alright, as long as you let them warm up before pushing them.

·
Registered
2019 smol PP
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, I know what tires squeaking on slick pavement is like. This is definitely suspension related and the creaking happens when the suspension loads as I back out of my driveway. Temps are around mid 40s or 50s.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Recently I started to hear a slight creaking/squeaking sound a couple weeks back when entering or exiting a steep driveway and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same. 2019 with 19k miles.
  • It mostly does it when the car has been sitting overnight and the suspension is cold i.e. leaving my house in the morning
  • It happens if turning into/out of the driveway from the left or right
  • It's more pronounced (louder) if the wheels are turned sharply vs. straight when hitting the driveway
  • 100% stock suspension, not even a strut brace
  • Car otherwise feels and drives fine
I'm thinking potentially premature ball joint failure but haven't seen anyone mention this on the Ns yet (and it's obv odd why they'd already fail so early).
I purchased a 20n from the showroom, and this has been my experience since day 1, I'm at about 8,000 miles now and thinking this is normal and after warm up the issues subside somewhat. I plan on just having the front suspension and brakes inspected during servicing.

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
As always keep in mind, the VN as other newer cars don't have the facility for lubrication such as; zerk fittings or hypo grease fittings. Most all the CV joints, bearings, tie rod ends and joints are pre greased and sealed with exception to the steering column. Lubrication plays an important role in noise reduction. If you can't lube it or can't see that it needs to be lubricated you won't know.

I prefer to manually lubricate such areas but it's become increasing difficult to even access them for such maintenance and some not at all. If they become partially dry it will inevitably cause creaking and metallic noise. The grease utilized in such areas has a role to play also. If the grease hardens at a specified lower temp, the same creaking will occur until they warm up. It's the nature of the beast, so to speak.

Tires being very cold and less flexible can and do cause creaking issues during colder winter months, as well as the lubrication in transmission, differential cases etc. There's a myriad of causes but not specific to one in particular. That's why it becomes a search and service type venture.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts