Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Listing an item of minor concern here and something to be cognitive of when changing brake pads

Seen on the attached, I noticed when changing from my summer track pads back to the OEM’s, the front brake caliper piston boot deterioration.

Note, the caliper functions just fine in its current state

I can only speculate the root cause is either from extreme heat or a substance/chemical contamination, maybe a combination of the two. Either way, I thought of ordering the boot for the cost of less than $5.00 and replacing it myself but figured to let Hyundai warranty take care of it.

Dealership said they and Hyundai don’t want to replace only the piston boot but to replace the entire caliper, so I can say the inconvenience of making a service appointment is worth the new caliper.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Red Automotive design Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
That’s what the warranty is there for. Have them schedule you a loaner for time it will be down in maintenance. With the boot deterioration, I can see why it caused the issue.😃👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
250 Posts
I removed that boot completely. Mine was complete cracked and melted in some parts.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I’m betting the op is in a northern tier state, either east or mid central. So he’s more likely prone to rust belt conditions.👍🇺🇸

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
516 Posts
Do you lubricate the rubber when you pull the pads? I always put a generous coat of brake lube around my boot as well as the sliders any time I pull the calipers. This is one of those "ounce of prevention things." I live in the mid-Atlantic and we salt our roads. Maybe I have picked-up extra maintenance due to our crappy conditions. I look for other areas to lube as well around the caliper.

Reactions: RedVN
1 - 6 of 6 Posts