Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Pulled the trigger on the Forge IC and the boost pipe. I figured I may as well replace ALL the intercooler piping when installing the IC, which replaces the hot side piping with larger diameter pipes and hoses.

The Forge IC is massive. It's like twice the size and 4 times as heavy as the stock IC. I can't believe that Hyundai put such a small IC on the VN. But that being said, I'm still impressed at how the stock IC is able to cool the intake air on warm track days without heat soaking. On a hot-hot track day, the inevitable heat soak will happen, but it took 95F degrees and 60% humidity to do so. On a mid-80s track day, it still didn't heat soak. Impressive!

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Motor vehicle Office equipment Hood Automotive design Grille

Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Composite material

Install was fairly simple, but being the perfectionist that I am, I took longer to get everything fitted as perfect as I could get it. That being said, there is enough metal pipe real estate on the Forge piping and IC, throttle body, and turbo hot pipe to lengthen the hoses about a half inch on each side. I felt like I didn't have enough hose to properly secure certain sections of piping. Slightly longer hoses would have made the install even easier. Or maybe it's just me and my perfectionist ways. I removed the crash bar to cut and grind the ambient temp sensor bracket off. Then painted it. If I have to go back to stock, there are many holes and such to reinstall it securely with zip ties. Cutting off that bracket is not a big deal, so you may as well do a nice, semi-professional job while you're at it.

Quality is top notch from the construction of the IC to the hoses to the high quality hose clamps. One thing to note is that the stock hose clamps are tamper-proof and tapered. It requires a special tool to remove which I don't have. Not sure if this applies to all VNs, but I have a 22 MT. Luckily, I only had to cut one hose clamp which was the one on the turbo hot pipe because I couldn't get my pliers through to the head. The rest, I was able to remove with pliers. I'm definitely buying regular hose clamps in the event I bring the VN back to stock.

Tire Wheel Grille Hood Automotive tire

Aside from that minor grape, everything was fitted as good as I could get it. In fact, I also found the source of a weird rattle what would manifest itself at around 3000 RPM in lower gears. I thought it was the sound generator, but no. It's actually the stock boost pipe rubbing and vibrating against something in the engine bay. I don't know what it's rattling against, but it's next to the oil filter. I installed the IC and piping in a way that no longer rattles against whatever that is. Pictured below is the spot where the stock boost pipe was rubbing. It wore off the rubber coating, and the exposed metal was rubbing against something, which made an odd rattling noise. Problem solved!

Musical instrument White Bicycle part Automotive tire Wind instrument

There was also this weird little duct-thing that was installed in front of the intake opening, but upturned. It's right above the radiator shroud. I assume it's there to mitigate the amount of dirt, dust, and perhaps even water droplets that would otherwise make their way in to the intake. Needless to say, I removed it to allow more air to be sucked in. It's only accessible when the bumper is removed, mind you. But it's a neat little detail, and also unnecessary for me since the VN is not my daily. It can be removed with a 10mm socket. This 'mod' alone probably gave me 10 horsepower!

Just kidding.

Motor vehicle Black Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

As far as driving impressions go, I'm ecstatic by the change. Everyone in the world is feeling the effects of this heat wave we've been in for the past month. Hell, my VN has been feeling a bit sluggish as of late. With the new IC, it pulls hard all the way to redline. Like it was a cool, dry day in the fall. But it's 90F and 60% humidity here. I probably did 20 or so 2nd to 3rd gear pulls and I noticed no power loss. Winning! I also noticed that some pulls felt harder than others. I assume that's the overboost function kicking in more often since IATs are now much lower. There is also no perceptible lag, even with the much, much larger volume that the Forged IC and pipes have. I was half expecting a little lag, but nope. Feels like stock.

I'm excited to take the VN to the track again next month. If I can make full power all day on a hot day, I can probably get under 2 minutes a lap at my local track.

Absolutely worth it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those hose clamps are not tamper-proof or tapered. That's a cap. You just pull it off. Sucks you had to cut it off. It's a hex head/flat head screw underneath.

I read somewhere, no clue if it's true, that those are used to get the proper torque on the clamp during assembly. They twist part of the cap, and when it reaches proper torque, it snaps off cleanly. It makes sense, I just don't know for a fact that it's true.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well damn. Knowing that would have saved me like 30 mins. I would have still needed to cut the hose clamp on the turbo hot pipe. The head was on the opposite side that it should have been and there was no way I could have gotten any tool in between the engine block and hot pipe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts