Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everybody,

So I'm pretty new, even to the tuning scene - just purchased my N last week and now I'm starting to consider modifications. The very first thing I'm going to do is install a catch can, but after that I'd like to start doing some performance modifications. I think I'm going to start with a new intake system, since that's a relatively cheap and easy place to begin. I like both the Forge and the Takeda (specifically the momentum) intakes, and I can't quite make up my mind about which one I'd rather have. Both look awesome, and as far as I can tell both are compatible with the Forge turbo inlet adapter, which I'm also planning on purchasing when I do my induction upgrade. I like the idea of the improved engine acoustics that the Forge delivers, but I sort of don't like the fact that there's no heat shield around it, and that heat soak may set in on the Forge unit more quickly than the Momentum. I like the way both of them look, but as of now I'm leaning a little more towards the Takeda Momentum. I just see that a lot of people run the Forge intake and it has a lot of positive reviews. I'd love to hear any feedback that anyone has! Performance, looks, feel, sound and other any metrics! Also, the Momentum is currently on sale on GenRacer and is the same price as the Forge intake, so pricing right now is exactly the same!
I really, really, really like the Sxth Element CAI, but it's a bit more than I'd like to spend on that particular part. The CF tube and powder coated steel heat shield looks amazing, but the price scares me away a bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just a word to the wise on the Takeda intake + Forge inlet adapter is that the silicone coupler from Forge is 4" to 3" while the Takeda tapers to 3" at the end of the tube. You will need a 3" 90 degree silicone piece.

This is the one I used Silicone Elbow 3" ID X 90 Degree - Gloss Black (you will need to cut ~1.25" off the turbo side and ~0.5" off the intake tube side) thanks to the recommendation from Mike (Ghost).

This worked great fitment wise but be weary that the Forge adapter is ~3.15" OD and the silicone is ~2.9x" ID so you will need some serious elbow grease to get it to slip over, the side of the intake tube was effortless to fit though. Torque pickup has been great, nice increase in sound but nothing crazy, pretty subtle compared to the open filter designs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a word to the wise on the Takeda intake + Forge inlet adapter is that the silicone coupler from Forge is 4" to 3" while the Takeda tapers to 3" at the end of the tube. You will need a 3" 90 degree silicone piece.

This is the one I used Silicone Elbow 3" ID X 90 Degree - Gloss Black (you will need to cut ~1.25" off the turbo side and ~0.5" off the intake tube side) thanks to the recommendation from Mike (Ghost).

This worked great fitment wise but be weary that the Forge adapter is ~3.15" OD and the silicone is ~2.9x" ID so you will need some serious elbow grease to get it to slip over, the side of the intake tube was effortless to fit though. Torque pickup has been great, nice increase in sound but nothing crazy, pretty subtle compared to the open filter designs.
Thank you for the heads up! I might have to look into the Yames inlet adapter too.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
For flow and cooler intake temps go with the Momentum one. It's the best of both worlds. If you want the noise go with the Forge one but you sacrifice cooler intake temps with it.

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
If anyone hasn't got the forge inlet adaptor i recommend buying a custom made one from @Yames
He makes them a bit cheaper with the proper silicone adaptor for the Takada or pretty much any intake you might have
Thanks for the bump Mike, appreciate it. Speaking of which, what are you using to connect your new aFe to your forge inlet? Let me know if you need the silicone coupler. Cheers.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If anyone hasn't got the forge inlet adaptor i recommend buying a custom made one from @Yames
He makes them a bit cheaper with the proper silicone adaptor for the Takada or pretty much any intake you might have
Agreed, and he does a great job helping out, prviding direction, and even upgrading the kit. Recommend this with whatever intake you get if compatible. Have it with my AFe and its great (plus looks good).

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks for the bump Mike, appreciate it. Speaking of which, what are you using to connect your new aFe to your forge inlet? Let me know if you need the silicone coupler. Cheers.
I was going to ask you that actually,
Im using the same one linked in this thread but i cut one of the sides to short and its a super tight fit and just annoying lol
If you have a better option i might be interested

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed, and he does a great job helping out, prviding direction, and even upgrading the kit. Recommend this with whatever intake you get if compatible. Have it with my AFe and its great (plus looks good).
🙏 Thank you for the kind words, deeply humbled by it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was going to ask you that actually,
Im using the same one linked in this thread but i cut one of the sides to short and its a super tight fit and just annoying lol
If you have a better option i might be interested
Hmm, I don't have any couplers that mate to the larger OD of that inlet adapter at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Mike,

Get one of these if you do not have one already....Or one like it.

Measure the OD of the old tube first before ordering any clamps. It's a tight fit but the spring prevents it from slipping off due to a ton of heat cycles. The spring keeps constant pressure on the tube so it stays put. Mine kept falling off so I re-did it with a new tube and a spring type bolt clamp. The screw-in type bands are totally terrible for the heat the turbo produces. It will ALWAYS loosen because of the heat, even with blue lock-tite. I have had mine fixed since Sunday and there has not been any movement from the tube or the clamp. That's with about 250 miles of driving so far. Plus, the old band clamp was eating into the old tube, the new clamps will NOT do that. Hope this helps?

Best regards,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Also, if you go this route make sure you angle the bolt on the clamp slightly upwards so it does not interfere with the waste-gate arm.

Br,

-Mike

Reactions: MikeMr305
1 - 12 of 12 Posts