Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to buy this Veloster N, and my wife is very hesitant due to its history. It has a rebuilt title technically due to flood damage, but what they did was stripped down a saltwater flooded Veloster N, and took all the parts from another wrecked VN and put them on the flooded ones frame. It was done by a YouTuber that put it all in a few videos that I'll post below. In the videos, he said that he applied a protectant to the frame, but I'm wondering if there's anything I would need to be worried about? Or rather my wife about, she's kind of worried about safety as well since it was completely rebuilt. I'm having a mechanic take a look at it tomorrow, but he seemed very hesitant about me getting it as well.

·
Registered
Chalk White 2020 Veloster N w/PP
515 Posts
I would be way more worried about the electrical system. Flooded cars are totalled by insurance companies when the wiring harness gets submerged. I had a critter much on a few wires on my Genesis Coupe a few months after I bought it. It was fixed fine, but the dealer contacted my insurance company for a potential total just because of some chewed wires. My thoughts? RUN!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Personally speaking, I would not touch it. A few caveats when buying salvage/rebuilt cars: they have zero manufacturers warranty no matter how new they are. So anything that breaks is on you. Also, you cannot finance a salvage car so it will be a cash deal when buying.

Saltwater does not play well with ANYTHING in a car. You are also taking a gamble that the rebuilder did the parts swap perfectly and made no mistakes anywhere with nothing being damaged in the process. Read the comments for that video. People are saying he should have rebuilt the wrecked one instead of the flooded one and they are absolutely right. Any wiring that was subjected to the salt water will develop gremlins down the road due to corrosion. Any metal that wasn't thoroughly cleaned will start to corrode as well.

It sounds like I am hating on salvage rebuilds but I'm really not. I have driven several salvage titled cars in my lifetime and I have been beyond happy with the experience but they have all been collision salvage, never flood damaged. Just know what you are getting into with this kind of purchase. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be way more worried about the electrical system. Flooded cars are totalled by insurance companies when the wiring harness gets submerged. I had a critter much on a few wires on my Genesis Coupe a few months after I bought it. It was fixed fine, but the dealer contacted my insurance company for a potential total just because of some chewed wires. My thoughts? RUN!!
So everything on the car was replaced with non-flooded parts besides the frame. So I guess I'm just wondering if I should worry about the frame?

·
Registered
746 Posts
The frame is the chassis, it’s all one piece. The comments above are all constructive and well put, in my opinion. The risk just isn’t worth the potential reward.

·
Registered
2021 Veloster N PP M/T
63 Posts
If your wife is ok with you getting an N I would get one she can feel good/safe about. Happy wife, happy life. Personally I wouldn't chance it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
He did a good job restoring it, if it was going to be a toy car / cheap beater and not your only mode of transportation its a cool deal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the ppi done today, the mechanic totally flipped from telling me to stay away, to telling me it looks amazing...

·
Registered
15 Posts
If your wife is ok with you getting an N I would get one she can feel good/safe about. Happy wife, happy life. Personally I wouldn't chance it.
Underrated comment, the chances this car will be issue-free is practically zero and the wife is going to rag on it at every opportunity she gets; even if she is as chill as mine she'll bring it up eventually and it's going to bug the crap out of you.

The big question no one really is asking is price... it looks like from the video this guy invested 10k in the two cars and cannibalized the wrecked parts and used it on the flooded ones frame (assuming the wrecked frame had some major structural damage? that choice is odd...) if they used any physical part from the flooded vehicle other than the chassis it's no good or is going to quickly be on it's way out (and you'll need to repair this yourself).

The VIN is already trash, Hyundai won't go near the thing with a 10 foot pole; let alone any extended warranty company.

How much are they asking? I would buy it for 6k or less TBH (and only if you were comfortable with this level of investment; the only real sell-back option would be for scrap or if lucky to some driving school for manuals); definitely no more than 14k though as the vehicle won't last 5 years before it suffers from the rust that'll most definitely set in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to buy this Veloster N, and my wife is very hesitant due to its history. It has a rebuilt title technically due to flood damage, but what they did was stripped down a saltwater flooded Veloster N, and took all the parts from another wrecked VN and put them on the flooded ones frame. It was done by a YouTuber that put it all in a few videos that I'll post below. In the videos, he said that he applied a protectant to the frame, but I'm wondering if there's anything I would need to be worried about? Or rather my wife about, she's kind of worried about safety as well since it was completely rebuilt. I'm having a mechanic take a look at it tomorrow, but he seemed very hesitant about me getting it as well.
I would pass on ANY salvaged vehicle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts