Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Flatout's Track Car and semi-daily

33K views 135 replies 31 participants last post by  19danno77 
#1 · (Edited)
I have left these forums. There is a lack of moderation on these forums causing feuds between members. There is better discussions and community found elsewhere.

#61 ·
Thanks on the fumoto.

Regarding the alignment, the local alignment wizard in Minneapolis got me -1.7* up front with smaller shank bolts in the top hole, no camber bolts required. After rolling tires on to sidewalls at 40psi I increased pressure up front to 48 and they finally held but resulted in slight chunking of the OEM summer P zeros at the last tnia here. They clearly were working the outside too much as my second lap was my best time and they were getting overheated. Shoulda shaved them. I went back for more camber on my stock suspension. He slotted the upper holes and using smaller shank bolts in the lowers got me -2.5*. He can get more but that's where we stopped until I can test tire temps and pressures at another track day. This is after all my daily. No plates or camber bolts required, just a skilled alignment guy fwiw.

Hearing about the op's rear end twitch (leading to a wreck) gives me pause on a rear sway bar thicker than OEM and has led me to zero toe up front but leave just a touch of toe-in/positive out back to keep it pointed in the right direction until I start increasing rear downforce.

#66 · (Edited)
Bit of an update.

Finally got around to installing the Whiteline suspension parts:
Front and rear lowering springs
Front strut tower camber/caster plates
Front ball joints + steering rack spacers that are included in the roll center correction kit

New alignment specs are not as expected. Could be just that this is it or need to try another alignment shop:
Front LeftFront Right
-2.2 camber-2.5 camber
8.2 caster8.1 caster
0 toe0 toe
Was hoping to get -3 camber in the front but this is where it maxed out.

Rear LeftRear Right
-2.2 camber-2.2 camber
0 toe0 toe

Track day is next Friday 10/1 at Buttonwillow. I will test it out and report back.
--------------

I haven't had time to work on the hood. Need to do it this weekend before the track day.
I bought this heat shield to put under it - Thermo-Tec 13590 24" X 48" Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier (Amazon.com)
The hood will get painted after the track day. Next upgrade is most likely going to be the Wilwood BBK v2 kit that I picked out.

#69 ·
Curious... have you gotten an alignment since getting it aligned at -3? I live near philadelphia and drive into philadelphia every day. The highways have some pretty nasty bumps and the city streets are littered with nasty bumps and pot holes. I can't help but think a car w/both top and bottom bolts replaced with camber bolts would get a screwed up alignment in short order. But I don't really know. Where you live, do you deal with nasty pot holed roads? How munged up was your alignment when you went to get it realigned?

#76 ·
Another sad but also good update. I got my car back from the Laguna accident. Had it for a few weeks and installed the Whiteline suspension components. The next day I am going through an intersection and another car goes through the red and hits me. Car is now totaled and in a junkyard. The only mods I was able to save is the Adro wing and mudflaps.
WOw, that F*ing blows!

I think I'd do the same thing as you did.

I don't plan on doing the Whiteline springs, ball joints, and top hats for now. It was a lot of work putting that on and I don't feel like doing it again. Gonna wait to see how the new coilover options turn out or just do the springs again at a later time.
Don't blame you there. I'm heading to the garage soon to do 4th top hat swap..... FML. 😡

W/all the issues I've had w/the whiteline tops, I have considered other options. One is forge tops, whiteline springs, and a 7mm lift/spacer for the rear to get the butt to sit at the same height as the front. Do whiteline or superpro double offset bushings for extra caster. Then you have a stiffer spring that won't bottom out as much? Maybe? But who knows if it matches up well with the oem valving.

Someone said moton/ast is making a set of coilovers. I forget how I found it, but came across shockworks coilovers for the i30 (https://impossiblefab.com/products/hyundai-i30-n-shockworks-coilovers). I emailed the co to see if they make veloster ones and the guy got back. Apparently they already sold 5 sets to customers in the US... But my N is my daily... I don't want to loose the electronically adjustable suspension.

#74 ·
Was really sad to hear about the other car. I've really enjoyed following the build.

However....

Congrats on the new car! Can't wait to watch the build redux 😎. I was so glad you found another N so fast. It's funny some people really don't like red, meanwhile I think it's the best color offered.

I'd say keep this thread going. I like seeing not just the cars journey but your story as an owner. If the thread gets too long you could just update the first post with a table of contents. (Pg 1-4 white N, Pg 4 and new car etc.)

#81 ·
They will and most likely one of the best available. Not inexpensive but nevertheless one of the best available.

There’s another from SPI that‘s non-adjustable but utilize all the MOBIS OEM top mount strut bushings. It’s most likely the quietest available.🙂👍🇺🇸

#83 · (Edited)

He’ll have them listed again. They run out of stock and repost when they have them back in stock.👍🇺🇸

This is why they are quiet;

#84 ·

He’ll have them listed again. They run out of stock and repost when they have them back in stock.👍🇺🇸

This is why they are quiet;
Thank you. I messaged the ebay account to ask when its coming back in stock. I will be buying this.

#87 ·
Ordered the AST camber plates direct from AST North America. Cost was $675.
4 week wait time cause they are made per order.

Custom oil cooler is in progress, will share details once its finalized.
Wilwood BBK kit is waiting on the custom brackets from TCE Motorsports. Probably another 4 weeks.

Car should be ready mid to late December and I will be at the track in January.

#93 ·
The AST camber plates I ordered for the stock suspension should be here around Christmas.

I still have a lot to do on the car. I plan on having everything installed by mid January and immediately go to the track.

#94 ·
@Flatout , I emailed the Ngarage store about the AST camber plates myself. I asked if they are compatible with the Veloster (since they're marketed for the i30) and asked if any customers that have these have had any issues. The employee got back to me and said that customers running over 1.5 degrees of camber have issues and, to be safe, run no more than -1. He said the damage is a result of the camber adding additional stress and that road/street driven cars have had the most issues and that track driven cars might fair better. I don't want to hurt their reputation or anything, so I don't want to say any more.
Are cali roads relatively smooth? They gotta be better than philly area roads. But since you mostly drive on the track, maybe you'll be OK.
I will ask the Ngarage dude, but only camber plates add additional angle to the strut. Camber bolts only augment the knuckle. I wonder if -1 camber from the camber plates + whatever you can get out of top and bottom camber bolts will be a safe setup.

#95 ·
@Flatout , I emailed the Ngarage store about the AST camber plates myself. I asked if they are compatible with the Veloster (since they're marketed for the i30) and asked if any customers that have these have had any issues. The employee got back to me and said that customers running over 1.5 degrees of camber have issues and, to be safe, run no more than -1. He said the damage is a result of the camber adding additional stress and that road/street driven cars have had the most issues and that track driven cars might fair better. I don't want to hurt their reputation or anything, so I don't want to say any more.
Are cali roads relatively smooth? They gotta be better than philly area roads. But since you mostly drive on the track, maybe you'll be OK.
I will ask the Ngarage dude, but only camber plates add additional angle to the strut. Camber bolts only augment the knuckle. I wonder if -1 camber from the camber plates + whatever you can get out of top and bottom camber bolts will be a safe setup.
We have smooth roads here. Every coilover kit on the market uses camber plates at the top. I am not worried.

The SPI model seems to be on sale again if you want to get that - SPI Camber/Caster strut mount fits veloster N, i30 N (hyundai, kia) | eBay

#96 ·
Just keep in mind if using the OEM struts. There was one member here who has had considerable problems with he Whiteline Camber Plates and camber bolt combination. He’s blown two set of struts as a result of utilizing over -2 degrees of camber.👍🇺🇸

#99 ·
Update on build.
BBK installed and ready for the track.
Next I am going to finish the engine mods which is the forge intercooler and custom oil cooler.
Then after that is putting on the AST camber plates + front control arm bushings at a shop then alignment.

#105 ·
First track day with the new build was really good. Beat my previous personal best by 1.3 seconds. And there is much more room for improvement, just need to keep practicing and improve my braking zones and apexes.
Current alignment is -3 camber front, -2 camber rear. Tires are still degrading faster on the outer edge. Need to add more camber, going to try -4 camber front and -3 camber rear. Also got a tire pyrometer to start monitoring tire temperatures. Next event is in 3 weeks.

PS - noticing any difference between the new car and old (with the CG and ride height differences)?
I am guessing the current car at stock height runs out of front end grip sooner than the last one. What I'm not certain of is how the whiteline springs compare to an OEM setup. Not a lot of talk about it with regards to at-limit handling.

#107 ·
Just finished installing the rear SPL camber arms. The driver side is tough cause the exhaust is in the way. Need lots of patience to loosen the top bolt.
Alignment later this week for -3 rear. Then at the race track for 2 days on the weekend.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motorcycle Motor vehicle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.