Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Car repair has started. Hopefully there isn't too many delays for Hyundai parts. I know there probably will be though.
Got a Seibon CF OEM-style hood instead of buying a regular OEM hood and Aerocatch latches for it.
Next is figuring out what hood vents I will buy to put on the hood. Found a pro to cut the carbon fiber hood for me too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Someone semi-local managed to fit Verus Engineering Mustang GT hood vents. From the pictures I've seen they fit very well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I never did stock cooling. Oil cooler was one of my first mods. People always start talking about how oil can handle temps up to 300F. Ya that's true but no one talks about how oil gets thinner as it heats up. 5W-40 oil at 250F and 230F has a different viscosity. With the oil cooler I haven't seen temps above 235F. It's consistently between 220F-230F. Let's see how it does in the upcoming summer.

I am doing 3 track day interval oil changes. I will try to do a lab oil analysis in July.
Have you had a chance to do an oil analysis by chance? I now had 3 events on the last oil change (LiquiMoly with viscosity per GenRacer recommendations) and was planning on changing it soon. My oil temps haven’t gone above 240F but I just figure better safe than sorry and spend the $50 to change it. Would be interesting to see what your analysis shows.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Have you had a chance to do an oil analysis by chance? I now had 3 events on the last oil change (LiquiMoly with viscosity per GenRacer recommendations) and was planning on changing it soon. My oil temps haven’t gone above 240F but I just figure better safe than sorry and spend the $50 to change it. Would be interesting to see what your analysis shows.
I havent sent it in yet. My current oil has 2,400 miles on it with 5 x 20min sessions on it. I'm thinking if I should send it now or do 1 more track day which should get me to 10 sessions. But I'm also close to my 3,000mi limit per oil change. Once I reach 3,000mi I change the oil regardless. So I'm not sure.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I havent sent it in yet. My current oil has 2,400 miles on it with 5 x 20min sessions on it. I'm thinking if I should send it now or do 1 more track day which should get me to 10 sessions. But I'm also close to my 3,000mi limit per oil change. Once I reach 3,000mi I change the oil regardless. So I'm not sure.
Cool. Whatever you choose, if you can post the analysis that would be great!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I received my carbon fiber hood. Seibon messed up and sent me the TS-style when I ordered the OEM-style. I will no longer be doing my own vents since its already vented.
Also the hood has some "concealed shipping damage" on the clear coat. They have no other hoods in stock so I am stuck with it. Their support could have been nicer about the situation but whatever. As long as I have a hood.
All the parts from Hyundai are here except for a few trim pieces for the front bumper. No ETA on those :(
The hood will be sanded then clear coated for UV protection and to fix the scratch on it.

·
Registered
2019 Veloster N PP / MT / Perf Blue.
583 Posts
I received my carbon fiber hood. Seibon messed up and sent me the TS-style when I ordered the OEM-style. I will no longer be doing my own vents since its already vented.
Also the hood has some "concealed shipping damage" on the clear coat. They have no other hoods in stock so I am stuck with it. Their support could have been nicer about the situation but whatever. As long as I have a hood.
All the parts from Hyundai are here except for a few trim pieces for the front bumper. No ETA on those :(
The hood will be sanded then clear coated for UV protection and to fix the scratch on it.
Sorry to hear that about your hood and the customer service. It’s hard to find good service these days.

Cant wait to see it.

-JE

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
250 Posts
Do you have an oil cooler? 240 is low for the track without an oil cooler. You should be fine on that oil. How many street miles did you put?

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
250 Posts
No oil cooler, just the 5W-40 recommended by GenRacer for track use. I put maybe a few hundred miles of street use on the oil. The rest is TNiA events.
Niice. I use the same oil. Got a few of them in the last sale. No complaints. During HPDEs, mine climbs up to 270-280 (Ambient was anywhere from 80-95). It stays there though! You can run the car for hours and it will manage it at 280 max. Sure it is high, but it's very commendable. Hyundai really did test this car on the ring lol just not with stock pads.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Niice. I use the same oil. Got a few of them in the last sale. No complaints. During HPDEs, mine climbs up to 270-280 (Ambient was anywhere from 80-95). It stays there though! You can run the car for hours and it will manage it at 280 max. Sure it is high, but it's very commendable. Hyundai really did test this car on the ring lol just not with stock pads.
For an “economy car” I really am happy with it as well!
I remember reading in GRM about them testing a Camaro on track and Chevy telling them that even near 300°F is ok with the right oil. That high a temp would scare me, but 270 isn’t bad compared to 300.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Car will be back from the shop in 2 weeks!

Once I get it back these are what I am doing before my next event in September:

1. Install Aerocatch latches on CF hood
  2. Install PPF on CF hood and CF Wing for UV Protection
  3. Install Whiteline springs, top hats, ball joints
  4. Oil change and analysis

·
Super Moderator
1,846 Posts
Love the "N" center caps! Make the Enkie TS-10's look great! Thank you!

Best regards,

-Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about your off-track excursion. Regarding your fumoto, I'm at their website and it says there may be a recession that may require an adapter. Was that the case? Getting closer to my first oil change so having this would be good.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Hey sorry to hear about your off-track excursion. Regarding your fumoto, I'm at their website and it says there may be a recession that may require an adapter. Was that the case? Getting closer to my first oil change so having this would be good.
Not to threadjack, but I just installed the Fumoto a few days ago. There is no recess on the VN oil pan.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts