Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m excited to see this post! I’ve been wondering what people like for alignments for their N on track. I personally track a little east, over in Tooele, Utah, haha. I’m not racing with any groups yet, I just enjoy the open track time. Maybe I’ll get there in the future though. So the SPC bolts were all you needed for the camber? Does your current caster depend on the bushings you have installed?
Yes for the front the SPC bolts will get you close to -2. Caster was slightly increased with the SuperPro offset bushing. It's about a 0.4-0.5 increase

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes for the front the SPC bolts will get you close to -2. Caster was slightly increased with the SuperPro offset bushing. It's about a 0.4-0.5 increase
Also, did you ever run stock cooling on track? I’ve noticed after pushing hard for half an hour to an hour it seems like my oil temps are pretty high. Probably somewhere north of 250 degrees. We are at around 5000 ft so less air for cooling up here.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let me know how the Whiteline top mount works out. I am hoping to get to -3* camber in the front and can’t do that just with bolts.

I may be at Laguna July 1 so see you there!
If you're interested, this is my current alignment with the Whiteline top hats and 2 camber bolts. Still have stock control arm bushings. I'm running 265 A052s and with just 1 bolt on each strut, I wasn't just rubbing but the fender was cutting into my tire. Had to use 2 bolts to clear the fenders. It was -2.5 with just one bolt per strut.

Font Rectangle Gas Machine Signage

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Also, did you ever run stock cooling on track? I’ve noticed after pushing hard for half an hour to an hour it seems like my oil temps are pretty high. Probably somewhere north of 250 degrees. We are at around 5000 ft so less air for cooling up here.
I never did stock cooling. Oil cooler was one of my first mods. People always start talking about how oil can handle temps up to 300F. Ya that's true but no one talks about how oil gets thinner as it heats up. 5W-40 oil at 250F and 230F has a different viscosity. With the oil cooler I haven't seen temps above 235F. It's consistently between 220F-230F. Let's see how it does in the upcoming summer.

I am doing 3 track day interval oil changes. I will try to do a lab oil analysis in July.

·
Registered
163 Posts
If you're interested, this is my current alignment with the Whiteline top hats and 2 camber bolts. Still have stock control arm bushings. I'm running 265 A052s and with just 1 bolt on each strut, I wasn't just rubbing but the fender was cutting into my tire. Had to use 2 bolts to clear the fenders. It was -2.5 with just one bolt per strut.

View attachment 5578
Only -2.5 with the top hats and one pair of bolts ? That's kinda disappointing :/

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Veloster N
250 Posts
I never did stock cooling. Oil cooler was one of my first mods. People always start talking about how oil can handle temps up to 300F. Ya that's true but no one talks about how oil gets thinner as it heats up. 5W-40 oil at 250F and 230F has a different viscosity. With the oil cooler I haven't seen temps above 235F. It's consistently between 220F-230F. Let's see how it does in the upcoming summer.

I am doing 3 track day interval oil changes. I will try to do a lab oil analysis in July.
Yeah I was hitting 280 on a 85F day. I wasn't babying the car and shifting early lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Yeah I was hitting 280 on a 85F day. I wasn't babying the car and shifting early lol.
When I say summer here in SoCal we are talking about 100F track days.

My last track day at Buttonwillow was 85-90F and oil temps were around 230F

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Whiteline sent me the rear 22mm swaybar, rear endlinks, and lowering springs. Still need the ball joints before I start installing the springs. Ball joints are stuck in the container at the port for now. Maybe 1 more month.

Installed the rear swaybar and endlinks. Going to Buttonwillow on Friday, the outside temp is going to be 114F. Will drive hard in the morning then take it easy. After Friday I am going to trash the RE71Rs tires and put on the Nexen SUR4G tires. Sunday I am doing a skidpad driving clinic to get better at car control. I bought these cheap no name tires (225/35/19) from Walmart to put on the rear. That will allow me to throw the rear out with the Nexens in the front. Cheap tires will also be trashed after Sunday.

Also bought the ADRO V1 Wing. Will put that on after these events so it will be on for Laguna Seca.
I know the V2 wing is coming but I like a simpler wing. I do plan on getting their V2 front lip when that is out.

Edit: I disagree with the reply below.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Went to Buttonwillow race way today. Outside temp was 90F first session then 105F second session. Left after that since temps reached 110F. With my Forge oil cooler max temp reached was 250F. Coolant was around 220F.
Another VN had the Airtec oil cooler and he reached 280F. He is also a better driver than me and is pushing the car more. So can't deduce if its oil cooler or driver. Probably mix of both.

Installing Hyundai N-Performance intake tomorrow + Nexen SUR4G 245/40/18 tires. Laguna Seca is in 2 weeks

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Edit: I disagree with the reply below.
Losing several mph on top has already been deduced by others in SK during track events and here as well. who have utilized the Ardo wing. Such can be made up with more available power but it's reasonable and makes good sense, due to the increase drag the wing produces.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Went to Buttonwillow race way today. Outside temp was 90F first session then 105F second session. Left after that since temps reached 110F. With my Forge oil cooler max temp reached was 250F. Coolant was around 220F.
Another VN had the Airtec oil cooler and he reached 280F. He is also a better driver than me and is pushing the car more. So can't deduce if its oil cooler or driver. Probably mix of both.
Where did you get the Forge oil cooler - I thought it wasn’t out yet?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Here are some clips from my driving class with Fast Sideways. Point of the class was to learn trail brake induced oversteer and improve my confidence in oversteer correction at high speed. Put slim horrible tires on the rear and the Nexen SUR4G tires in the front. Car would slide super easily in first gear with lift off oversteer.

Streamable Video
Streamable Video

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Back from Laguna Seca...

Starting with the good:

Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar is great. Car rotates better and feels more planted at high speed in the rear. I use to get a light rear end at Buttonwillow during Bus Stop corner which didn't happen anymore. Handling was great at Laguna Seca too.

Nexen SUR4G tires are fantastic. Running 35-37 psi hot at Laguna. Takes about 2 laps to warm up otherwise its a slip and slide. Compared to the RE71R which were very good cold and needed 1 lap at most. Grip lasted all 20mins of the session. Really happy with the wear rate compared to the RE71R. At -2 camber it was wearing perfectly at 37psi with no issues on the sidewall.

Video of the first time at Laguna

Fastest lap

The bad:
After that fastest lap I kept pushing for more and went too hot into turn 3. Car started to oversteer and I caught it thanks to my previous training from a weeks ago. But then the rear tire touched the rumble strip and slipped again. It happened too fast for me to catch it and the left tire hit the gravel. Gravel sucked me into a tire wall. Ended my day early.
I am physically ok, car needs all the front cosmetic pieces replaced. New bumper, hood, fenders.
Not posting any pictures or video publicly until the race track insurance claim is completed.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Back from Laguna Seca...

Starting with the good:

Whiteline 22mm rear sway bar is great. Car rotates better and feels more planted at high speed in the rear. I use to get a light rear end at Buttonwillow during Bus Stop corner which didn't happen anymore. Handling was great at Laguna Seca too.

Nexen SUR4G tires are fantastic. Running 35-37 psi hot at Laguna. Takes about 2 laps to warm up otherwise its a slip and slide. Compared to the RE71R which were very good cold and needed 1 lap at most. Grip lasted all 20mins of the session. Really happy with the wear rate compared to the RE71R. At -2 camber it was wearing perfectly at 37psi with no issues on the sidewall.

Video of the first time at Laguna

Fastest lap

The bad:
After that fastest lap I kept pushing for more and went too hot into turn 3. Car started to oversteer and I caught it thanks to my previous training from a weeks ago. But then the rear tire touched the rumble strip and slipped again. It happened too fast for me to catch it and the left tire hit the gravel. Gravel sucked me into a tire wall. Ended my day early.
I am physically ok, car needs all the front cosmetic pieces replaced. New bumper, hood, fenders.
Not posting any pictures or video publicly until the race track insurance claim is completed.
Ouch, sorry to hear about the accident but glad to hear you’re physically ok.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts