Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
26 years old, got a DSG GTI at 23 as I initially got into cars and now I've jumped into the deep end for a more engaging, smile inducing driving experience. Looking forward to learning from everyone!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! The VN is a great ride. I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Any mod plans?
Thanks! I've never done any mods before but I've considered a catch can and intake to start. The one I most want is a short shift kit but I worry about my lack of experience in doing it, even though I can follow pretty videos on how to do it.

I appreciate any recommendations!

Also, is it best to wait after the 600 mile break in period to do mods? I likely won't until after then for peace of mind and just to get accustomed to the car in shock from, but I was curious what everyone else thought.

·
Registered
368 Posts
This car was the first ive moded as well. I started with a BOV and Intake and trust me the short shifter is so damn easy it actually surprised me. I put it off for such a long time and it was legit a 30 minute job. Of all the things you can f*ck up, a short shifter shouldn't be one of them lol get some experience taking things apart and take your time, and go for the short shifter if its what you truly want

·
Registered
132 Posts
YMMV, but I'd wait until the first oil change. For one, it gives you more time with the car to learn and understand what and why you might want to mod something. And two, if there are any issues with it during that initial break-in, there will be no questions asked by the dealer about possible causes.

--JamesT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This car was the first ive moded as well. I started with a BOV and Intake and trust me the short shifter is so damn easy it actually surprised me. I put it off for such a long time and it was legit a 30 minute job. Of all the things you can f*ck up, a short shifter shouldn't be one of them lol get some experience taking things apart and take your time, and go for the short shifter if its what you truly want
Thanks man, you've definitely gotten me more excited and less worried about the process.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YMMV, but I'd wait until the first oil change. For one, it gives you more time with the car to learn and understand what and why you might want to mod something. And two, if there are any issues with it during that initial break-in, there will be no questions asked by the dealer about possible causes.

--JamesT
Thanks for the advice, I'll take you up on that. When you did you do your first oil change? At the recommended 5-7k?

Also, I've never changed oil but it appears to be much easier than the ridiculous amount I used to pay others to do it. Any advice on options for jacks and other sites or even YouTube channels you swear by for tools, walkthroughs, etc?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Thanks for the advice, I'll take you up on that. When you did you do your first oil change? At the recommended 5-7k?

Also, I've never changed oil but it appears to be much easier than the ridiculous amount I used to pay others to do it. Any advice on options for jacks and other sites or even YouTube channels you swear by for tools, walkthroughs, etc?
The car imo didnt like going past 3.5k with the same oil so i personally do a 4k oil change. It depends on your driving habits and oil choices really.

·
Registered
368 Posts
theres a very detailed thread on this topic. i believe a member also has a video. this is the easiest oil change in a car ive ever done personally. the hardest part for me was finding 0w-30 oil lol.

·
Registered
132 Posts

I did my first change at 3k. As others have stated, it's a fairly easy task. If you don't have a low-profile jack, visit your nearest Harbor Freight and pick one up on the cheap along with some jack-stands. You don't need anything fancy, but a low profile version is a must. Probably the handiest tool you'll need is an oil filter cap wrench (just a socket-like tool that make removal easier). In the how-to threads on this forum, you'll see references to the correct size.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did my first change at 3k. As others have stated, it's a fairly easy task. If you don't have a low-profile jack, visit your nearest Harbor Freight and pick one up on the cheap along with some jack-stands. You don't need anything fancy, but a low profile version is a must. Probably the handiest tool you'll need is an oil filter cap wrench (just a socket-like tool that make removal easier). In the how-to threads on this forum, you'll see references to the correct size.
Thanks for recommending the jack and stands, I was happily surprised to find a Harbor Frieght not far from my home. Why low profile specifically? Any other recommendations for tool sets that aren't too costly and just what I need?

·
Registered
132 Posts
The low-profile version can maneuver under the side-skirt/ground trim of the car and pivot under so as not to mar or damage anything when lifting. As for other tool-sets? I dunno what you've got or how much of a shade-tree mechanic you want to become. I'll say that everything on this car (and most cars these days) is metric, so, metric wrenches, sockets, hex-keys, nut drivers, etc., sets will always be useful.

(Caution: tool rant ahead) I'll say that Harbor Freight is kinda the lowest of the low on the scale of tool quality. But, if you're not making a living using your tools, HF's stuff works in a pinch. If you find yourself using a particular tool quite often, go visit the usual scumbags (Lowes, Home Depot, etc) and buy a better grade.

--JamesT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts