Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm sure this is nothing new but i can't locate this car (new) anywhere near me for sale (i'm in syracuse ny). i contacted the largest hyundai dealership here in central new york (matthews hyundai) and was told that hyundai does not let customers place orders for new vehicles. additionally they have no velosters coming in through the end of the year, and they're not willing to trade with another dealer because of overall low inventory. the woman i spoke with also told me that they rarely get any allocations because this is "not a north-east car" (smh).

using autotrader & cars.com to track down a posting feels mostly fruitless as those sites only pick up a fraction of dealership listings, and most have already sold by the time those sites scrape the dealer postings. i've been using the "find your hyundai" on the main hyundai website however they only let you search outward of 250 miles from the zipcode you enter. i've been putting in zip's for random cities in neighboring states (and further out), with very little success. i was able to find a 6spd non-drilled black N in south carolina last week however the dealer wanted $6k over MSRP. i understand that most dealers want more but $6k seems excessive.

ideally trying to find a 6spd white N from 1 of the 20 states that do not require a front license plate (so the car won't be drilled). last car i purchased new here in NY i told the dealer to keep it if they drilled the bumper, not about to start now. so between trying to find an N in stock, for a fair price, with 3 pedals & a non-drilled bumper feels almost impossible right now.

the overall feeling i get after spending hours searching for this car on a nightly basis reminds me of the same emptiness left inside after using online dating apps.. this is brutal. sorry, just needed to vent.

·
Registered
82 Posts
This is a pretty bad time to look for a car to be fair. Cars are selling fast and those that do are selling well over MSRP with little to no wiggle room. Only thing I can say is keep looking, the car is a blast and well worth it to find what you want. They actually drill the plates into the grill so it's pretty hard to see to be honest. I bought mine from NY and they had drilled the plates in because I didn't request not to. I was going to register it in a state that doesn't require front plates. I was in your shoes about 3 months ago looking for a 6spd 2021. I got lucky after a week and found one that was in Buffalo NY that had just got off the trailer the day I called. It was pure luck I had found it. I ended up getting a rental and driving the 700 miles to go pick it up and drove it home. Keep your head up and keep looking!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a pretty bad time to look for a car to be fair. Cars are selling fast and those that do are selling well over MSRP with little to no wiggle room. Only thing I can say is keep looking, the car is a blast and well worth it to find what you want. They actually drill the plates into the grill so it's pretty hard to see to be honest. I bought mine from NY and they had drilled the plates in because I didn't request not to. I was going to register it in a state that doesn't require front plates. I was in your shoes about 3 months ago looking for a 6spd 2021. I got lucky after a week and found one that was in Buffalo NY that had just got off the trailer the day I called. It was pure luck I had found it. I ended up getting a rental and driving the 700 miles to go pick it up and drove it home. Keep your head up and keep looking!
you're not wrong, but my car is on its way out and while the timing is bad i need to do something. also, i would be thrilled if i only had to drive to buffalo to get one, that's only a couple hours away from me, ugh. at least i finally got to see & drive one last weekend in a neighboring city (used 21 w/dct), haven't seen a single N in the wild here in central ny yet. coming from a 2009 scion tC 5spd that thing wildly exceeded my expectations and i knew i had to have one. although as quick & crisp as the shifts were in that thing i just can't give up the engagement & fun factor 3 pedals offers. although finding one for sale seems more difficult than it should be as most dealers only have the automatic in stock. but yeah if i found one near me that was drilled i'd probably grab it, but would prefer to find one that hasn't been. front license plates look awful, and i can't believe how willing some people are to let random people drill holes in their property.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i'm sure this is nothing new but i can't locate this car (new) anywhere near me for sale (i'm in syracuse ny). i contacted the largest hyundai dealership here in central new york (matthews hyundai) and was told that hyundai does not let customers place orders for new vehicles. additionally they have no velosters coming in through the end of the year, and they're not willing to trade with another dealer because of overall low inventory. the woman i spoke with also told me that they rarely get any allocations because this is "not a north-east car" (smh).

using autotrader & cars.com to track down a posting feels mostly fruitless as those sites only pick up a fraction of dealership listings, and most have already sold by the time those sites scrape the dealer postings. i've been using the "find your hyundai" on the main hyundai website however they only let you search outward of 250 miles from the zipcode you enter. i've been putting in zip's for random cities in neighboring states (and further out), with very little success. i was able to find a 6spd non-drilled black N in south carolina last week however the dealer wanted $6k over MSRP. i understand that most dealers want more but $6k seems excessive.

ideally trying to find a 6spd white N from 1 of the 20 states that do not require a front license plate (so the car won't be drilled). last car i purchased new here in NY i told the dealer to keep it if they drilled the bumper, not about to start now. so between trying to find an N in stock, for a fair price, with 3 pedals & a non-drilled bumper feels almost impossible right now.

the overall feeling i get after spending hours searching for this car on a nightly basis reminds me of the same emptiness left inside after using online dating apps.. this is brutal. sorry, just needed to vent.
Try Car Gurus...I've been watching for the last few months and the number of 2022 N's for sale increase each week.

·
Registered
72 Posts

I’ve found 5 within A few minutes of searching within 200 miles of you. Seems like you have a lot of used in your area but not as many new.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I’ll make a call to Danbury Hyundai in CT they sold me a veloster n for under msrp in may. Also the front holes is a non issue because they are integrated into the front grille and can’t be noticed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I’ve found 5 within A few minutes of searching within 200 miles of you. Seems like you have a lot of used in your area but not as many new.
those listings are all internet-only (carvana, vroom, etc.) that show up as your city but the vehicles are not actually available there (they get delivered to you). the red velsoter in utica is the only one near me at a dealer which i test drove last weekend (no interest in this one specifically though, wrong color & dct). i'm going to call the nyc dealer and see what's up.

edit: nyc listing is not a performance pack model, so that's out. found a few more new listings in TN, calling them now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
those listings are all internet-only (carvana, vroom, etc.) that show up as your city but the vehicles are not actually available there (they get delivered to you). the red velsoter in utica is the only one near me at a dealer which i test drove last weekend (no interest in this one specifically though, wrong color & dct). i'm going to call the nyc dealer and see what's up.

edit: nyc listing is not a performance pack model, so that's out. found a few more new listings in TN, calling them now.

View attachment 6689
Carvana is really easy to buy from with no dealer fees and free delivery. You also get a 7 day return period for any reason. I purchased a FR-S for my son from them and found some rust issues underneath and they took it back with no questions. They are also easy to sell to....picked up my car and transferred money to my bank account on the spot.

·
Registered
31 Posts

There are 16 within 250 miles from me here in Jacksonville FL according to Hyundai's vehicle finder tool. The first website I checked had a 2022 DCT priced below MSRP...

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is tough to get most cars these days and it is going to get worse. I was in a Subaru dealership a month back and they had a total of 4 new vehicles. All Legacy sedans. I didn’t know they even still made the Legacy sedan. I heard Honda and Toyota both announced their production would be cut 40%.

Keep looking. As people realize there are few vehicles available and stop looking, you may stumble on what you are looking for as it comes in. I wouldn’t expect a great deal, however.

·
Registered
2020 Veloster N (PP) White
17 Posts
I feel you man. Took me a while and ending up paying for it, but I think it was worth it. I don't have much dealer or car buying experience but as for the front plate holes, you could always find some decorational plates to put in place. Just another way to customize the car to you. If you're willing to do that, removing a requirement from your shopping list could save you a decent bit of time. Good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I feel you man. Took me a while and ending up paying for it, but I think it was worth it. I don't have much dealer or car buying experience but as for the front plate holes, you could always find some decorational plates to put in place. Just another way to customize the car to you. If you're willing to do that, removing a requirement from your shopping list could save you a decent bit of time. Good luck.
yeah i hear you, and that's what many are forced to do because these front plate state dealers immediately drill the cars as they come off the trucks. 12 years of ownership later i love knowing my car was never drilled. yeah new york is a front plate state, i just don't care (funny how 20 other states manage just fine with only a rear plate). i've been pulled over for speed & illegal window tint in the past, but never a word about the missing plate. and honestly if i'm ever asked i wouldn't lie about it either--the plate is hung up in my garage as decoration where it actually looks good, not on the car where it looks awful. i'll happily pay the ticket and chalk it up as a vanity tax and be on my way.

i'll find the car eventually, just not willing to budge on that. i'm more willing to settle for a different exterior color than i would be to let someone drill holes in my property.

my 12 year old non-drilled NY car and the N i test drove the other week.. it wasn't drilled yet either but i don't want an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not trying to change your mind on the license plate holes, but you literally can’t see them from 5ft away due to how busy the honeycomb grill is.
I understand the frustration over the holes. I have a 06 MINI that was in PA without a front plate all it’s life until a week or two before I found it in MD and brought it back to PA. I may be the only one to see the holes but I am the one who paid for it. Bugs me every time I see the front of the car. I would not settle for a new car that I intended to keep forever with the holes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand the frustration over the holes. I have a 06 MINI that was in PA without a front plate all it’s life until a week or two before I found it in MD and brought it back to PA. I may be the only one to see the holes but I am the one who paid for it. Bugs me every time I see the front of the car. I would not settle for a new car that I intended to keep forever with the holes.
right? the car i had before the scion was drilled and when i ended up taking off the front plate, the bumper was semi discolored and the holes were rusting. i will agree that it seems far less noticeable with the N but if you're buying new why would anyone want holes in their car, ugh.

well as of 7pm i found a 2022 white N 6spd (new). dealer isn't sure they want an out of state sale though, will know in the morning!

·
Registered
2021 VN - White
16 Posts
Damn shame. Back when I was shopping for mine in NY (April) there was actually quite a few options in various colors throughout the state, but especially in Syracuse/Utica. Only a few manuals versus nearly 10+ DCT's unfortunately, but I was able to snag one from Utica that may or may not have been sitting on the lot for a little bit, which was very surprising.

As for the drilled holes it seems to vary by dealership. Some do indeed smack the bracket on as soon as it's off the truck. Lucky for me though I insisted on having the sales guy tell the shop to not drill it when I was purchasing it and they said it was no problem. Also, it hadn't been drilled off of the truck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check Autotempest.com
They scrape EVERY source out there based on your parameters.
Bought my N a few months back at a $1500 discount. Had to drive 175 miles...no big deal as there were only 3 in NC and this dealer had 2 of them.. On the drilling, just get a set of Bumperplugs and they'll disappear. I wouldn't let this be a dealbreaker.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Good luck on your search but don't make an assumption that every dealer in a front license state will have the front drilled. My front license was in a bag in the car and the salesman commented how bad front license plates look on some cars. They had one in another color also with the front untouched. I do live in a state where tickets are freely given out for no front plates so don't limit yourself.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts