Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm looking to tap into the existing usb connection to add a second usb cable port in the rear of the mat area behind the shifter. Think it will look cleaner then hanging down the front to the phone. Has anyone done something similar? I cant find a wiring harness diagram for it, and dont want to just start cutting into my new car. Lol!

If anyone has any info I would appreciate it!

Josh

Registered
I'm not sure if there is a practical way to add a second one, but if you just want to relocate it, you can try something like THIS
You may be able to move the factory port behind the plastic and fashion some dummy plate to cover the empty port hole.

I used an extension similar to this in a previous vehicle to have ports in a convenient location form the back of the head unit.
Keep in mind that Android Auto can picky about which cables are used, so test anything you connect before making any permanent changes.

I'm thinking about doing this to inside the console, so the phone is out of sight.

Registered
I got a 4 port USB hub from a laptop in my car. Waste of money. It wouldn't charge in the higher amp port and wouldn't do data in the Android auto port. I gave up on it, but I'm watching this thread hoping you guys find the magic

Registered
Yeah, I was thinking something like that with a spliter like this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S8XC8PK/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=ALQRM5HLXM36H&psc=1, so there could be one where the stock port is, and one somewhere else like the cubby hole or center console.
From that item description "Note: It does not work for car USB/ Apple Carplay.as these systems do not support USB hubs."

You have to remember this is not a full PC and shouldn't expect it to act like one.
Connecting more than one AA device to the head unit seems like it would cause issues.
USB data connections are not just hard-wired connections, they have to make a handshake with the device.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts