Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a very interesting startup situation a few days ago. Was driving on the highway for about 2 hours, pulled off for gas / food. Stopped first at a McD in an inclined parking spot (front higher than rear), went inside and ordered food. Got back to the car, turned on the radio for maybe 2 minutes while I ate. Clutch in, hit the start button and it must have turned over for 5+ seconds, finally started but I thought I was going to be stranded after about 3 seconds of turning over.

Hasn't happened since and even tested it (on a flat surface) after the next 2-3 hour leg of the trip. Stopped the car, checked into the hotel, and went back to hot start it with no issues.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely worth a try, thanks for the input. Do you think the heat soak was not allowing the starter to spin fast enough to get the engine to start?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mines done this cold after sitting in the garage all night. Also it’s done this a few other times when the car has been hot and cold. Haven’t taken it in to the dealership yet, but will shortly. I found if you take the car in for issues like this they often write it up no problem found unless it’s a hard fault.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Definitely worth a try, thanks for the input. Do you think the heat soak was not allowing the starter to spin fast enough to get the engine to start?
Heat Soak will reduce the capacity of the solenoid to work efficiently and also increase amperage resistance. The only way to overcome it is to, utilize a 24 volt starting system that street modified racers have gone to overcome the problem. When you stop the car, heat doesn't immediately start to decrease, it will increase as there is no circulation of fluid in the block or cooling air moving over the radiator. Your welcome, it's an old problem that's rearing its head again.

Manufactures don't test the cars long enough in higher temps. They assume there is no problem but with heak soak there's always a problem. They have the means to but often do not.

Had a BMW 330 once, that was a major problem because of it. Even interior part failed, like speakers, seat back fell off that were glued into place, door weather striping amd more. It was a real problem for the engine as well. We quickly traded the car off instead of dealing with any further problems. They didn't bother testing the car in extreme heat that you find in Texas and other places.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Considering you were parked on an incline, and the front end was up and rear end downward, I would venture that you've got a vapor-lock issue with your fuel line. This typically happens when the outside temps are warm and the engine is warm. It's as if you've lost fuel pressure. Since the electric fuel pump is back in the fuel tank, down hill from the engine and injectors, the pump has to fight to bring fuel pressure up again so that your engine will fire.
I had a 1977 VW Rabbit that would do this a lot when I parked the car in the conditions mentioned above. I would have to pull out a wrench and bleed all 4 injectors before I could get the car to fire off. It did this twice for me. Then the next time, I back up into the spot/incline, and it started perfectly.
If you want to experiment, try the same situation again, same place, etc. Then try it again, but this time backing into your parking spot. I would bet backing in would solve the issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the engine cranked for 5 secs, it's not the starter or solenoid- they are doing their job (that's why the engine is cranking).

If it Was a high mileage vehicle I'd say carbon build up, but I'm assuming it has low mileage. Not a lot of high mileage VN's out there!

If it keeps happening you need to log fuel pressure when the car is off. It may be that the fuel system lost pressure when you turned the car off and it's not supposed to. The fuel system should maintain pressure when the car is off

·
Registered
132 Posts
Considering you were parked on an incline, and the front end was up and rear end downward, I would venture that you've got a vapor-lock issue with your fuel line. This typically happens when the outside temps are warm and the engine is warm. It's as if you've lost fuel pressure. Since the electric fuel pump is back in the fuel tank, down hill from the engine and injectors, the pump has to fight to bring fuel pressure up again so that your engine will fire.
I had a 1977 VW Rabbit that would do this a lot when I parked the car in the conditions mentioned above. I would have to pull out a wrench and bleed all 4 injectors before I could get the car to fire off. It did this twice for me. Then the next time, I back up into the spot/incline, and it started perfectly.
If you want to experiment, try the same situation again, same place, etc. Then try it again, but this time backing into your parking spot. I would bet backing in would solve the issue.
My gut goes with this as the most likely cause.
Simple test is to park nose up again, see if it happens again. If it only happens nose up, and it only cranks 5 sec vs 1 sec, I wouldn't worry excessively about it unless you park on hills often. If parking nose down or level has no issue, but nose up and a "hot start" do, then that's an easy enough issue to avoid. So long as it starts, it's good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Won't be able to replicate the hot temps for a while unfortunately, but I will try to recreate if I can before the weather turns. It did seem like a fueling issue, I usually double press the start button clutch out to prime the pump before starting but just went straight for it this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the engine cranked for 5 secs, it's not the starter or solenoid- they are doing their job (that's why the engine is cranking).

If it Was a high mileage vehicle I'd say carbon build up, but I'm assuming it has low mileage. Not a lot of high mileage VN's out there!

If it keeps happening you need to log fuel pressure when the car is off. It may be that the fuel system lost pressure when you turned the car off and it's not supposed to. The fuel system should maintain pressure when the car is off
Definitely not high mileage, would have been right before the 3000 mile mark. As I mentioned in the other reply, definitely felt like a fuel issue, either pressure or the aforementioned vapor lock.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey did you ever replicate this hard startup again? Yesterday afternoon this happened to me but my car was cold. I hadn’t driven the car in about 23 hours, it was raining outside earlier the whole day and when I went to push the start button it was cranking for about 3 seconds then the car started (rough start). I drove the car to operating oil temperatures, I stopped and started the car about 15 min later but it started normally. My car only has 1,200 miles on it I’m going to try and see if this happens again tomorrow morning if I leave the car without driving it for 24 hours. I will record it and see what happens.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had a couple of long cold cranks. I think it's a quirk of the car. My battery is good, and it's never happened twice in a row 🤷*♂

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've had a couple of long cold cranks. I think it's a quirk of the car. My battery is good, and it's never happened twice in a row 🤷*♂
Hmm maybe maybe, it’s just weird never experienced that in any of my cars I’ve owned haha. I also live in San Diego so it doesn’t really get cold out here, it was only around 60 degrees Fahrenheit yesterday when it happened so not sure why that happened.

·
Registered
874 Posts
There is no definitive answer as of yet. Hyundai Engineers are replacing parts but the likelihood is probably leaky fuel injectors. Some have had them replaced under warranty and it has temporarily cured the problem. However it's still up in the air as to the actual issue. I know one individual who is experiencing the issue, works for Hyundai and the engineers are throwing parts at it in hope to find a permanent fix.:rolleyes::eek:

If it leaky FI's, then the engine is in a temp hydrolock start. This would explain the 5 seconds+ to start, as its pumping raw fuel out of the cylinder/s and the spark plugs are too wet to fire.

Some of the problems are related to heat soak and the solenoid. This explains the hesitation in some to crank hard. Either way it's not going to get a fix until Hyundai can duplicate the issue directly and it's not every VN that's having the problem.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There is no definitive answer as of yet. Hyundai Engineers are replacing parts but the likelihood is probably leaky fuel injectors. Some have had them replaced under warranty and it has temporarily cured the problem. However it's still up in the air as to the actual issue. I know one individual who is experiencing the issue, works for Hyundai and the engineers are throwing parts at it in hope to find a permanent fix.:rolleyes::eek:

If it leaky FI's, then the engine is in a temp hydrolock start. This would explain the 5 seconds+ to start, as its pumping raw fuel out of the cylinder/s and the spark plugs are too wet to fire.

Some of the problems are related to heat soak and the solenoid. This explains the hesitation in some to crank hard. Either way it's not going to get a fix until Hyundai can duplicate the issue directly and it's not every VN that's having the problem.
Yep. I'm having the issue. Happend about 6 times in a month. I have around 650 miles on mine

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had a very interesting startup situation a few days ago. Was driving on the highway for about 2 hours, pulled off for gas / food. Stopped first at a McD in an inclined parking spot (front higher than rear), went inside and ordered food. Got back to the car, turned on the radio for maybe 2 minutes while I ate. Clutch in, hit the start button and it must have turned over for 5+ seconds, finally started but I thought I was going to be stranded after about 3 seconds of turning over.

Hasn't happened since and even tested it (on a flat surface) after the next 2-3 hour leg of the trip. Stopped the car, checked into the hotel, and went back to hot start it with no issues.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?
Hi benzed92,
I have had similar issues with all my previous MT autos in the past. All were of different manufacturers. I have noted the cars struggled more on start-ups when in first gear with clutch in level or incline [Incline being the most severe]. The remedy I have stumbled across, & effective, is to not park & turn off the car in first gear. Even with emergency brake engaged in first gear, the car can “settle” & bind the transmission forcing the car to fight the mechanicals until sufficiently clear to allow for engine turnover. In addition, if you have to park in first gear due to a steep incline, you will have to unlock the transmission & shift into neutral before starting up. I am not aware if the VN has a transmission lock/release mechanism. I recommend talking to the service department or reading the owner’s manual. Personally, I avoid parking on an incline or in first gear. I have never had an auto roll away. I hope this info helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to mention, the transmission lock/release is really only applicable to automatic transmissions. Being a standard, try allowing the car to roll just enough to allow a shift into neutral, & then start once in neutral.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts