Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Engine oil capacity

15K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Reddave 
#1 ·
Hi,
Recently I changed the engine oil and filter on my 2020 VN+PP after 1500 miles. As normal I used the oil dipstick to check the level. Hyundai have coated the bottom section of the dipstick to allow for easier reading of the oil level (I think this is the idea).
Anyway I have also changed the oil on another SUV and this is hard to read the dipstick as the route into the engine has a large curve on it and so it tends to wipe the oil off the dipstick when you pull it out. So I remember recently read that some people just put the correct quantity of oil which the manufacturer says the engine holds.
So I decided to check the quantity of oil Hyundai says which is 5.07 quarts, but I have put in about 4.7 quarts (check the amount left in the 5 quarts oil container I used). When I looked at the other euro i30N engines it says 4.8 quarts, I do not know if the engines are the same as mine.
Has anybody else noticed that the engine oil quantity is not the same as Hyundai says?

Thanks Dave

#4 ·
So, where did you get this info from, my Owners Manual (page 8-7) says drain and refill use 5.07 quarts and no other info. Normally they give two quantities, one without a new oil filter and one with.
It would be nice if Hyundai mentioned the figures you have, are they from a Hyundai Workshop Manual because of the description at the top saying "after removing the engine oil gauge"?
Thanks Dave

#6 ·
The dipstick reads like crap. If I drain all the oil and put on a new filter and use 5 quarts the dipstick is way past the hash marks. I wish we had a better dipstick that read correctly.

Best regards,

-Mike

#7 ·
The dipstick reads like crap. If I drain all the oil and put on a new filter and use 5 quarts the dipstick is way past the hash marks. I wish we had a better dipstick that read correctly.

Best regards,

-Mike
Thanks for reply Ghost and others.
Reading the info from GetQuirky #2, we should only be adding 4.64 quarts of oil. So do we use the Owners Manual 5.07 quarts or use the dipstick which a few people has a some concerns about it or just stick with the 4.64 quarts.
That is why I asked GetQuirky where the info was from.
Thanks Dave

#8 ·
I use about 4.75 quarts on mine and it's just right over the top of the hash. I wonder if a dipstick on a 2.0L turbo from another Hyundai model would fit our cars? Makes me wonder?

Br,

-Mike

#13 ·
do we all have the same dipstick? im looking at pn 26611-2GPA0, it is 24.5" overall and the Full line is 2" up.

I'm also seeing about 4.8 qt to reach the max line.
My dipstick is the same part number. It measures from the handle end (where it hits the top of the oil tube from the engine) to the high oil level mark-20 1/8 inch and then 3/4 inch from the high level to the low level mark.
Our part numbers are the same and the 0.1 quart difference between our oil capacity (I put in about 4.7 quarts) is only 3.2 fluid ounces, which are very close to being the same. Dave

#12 ·
The question have is this. Are you draining your oil with the car level or the engine up in the air? I find with the nose up you get a better drain (more). My wife's Elantra GT takes about 4.75 quarts when I change the oil. My BK1 (Theta 1) takes 5 quarts exactly on an oil change. I have not done my first oil change yet (damn working from home!), but I will be careful to accurately determine how much it will take. I will use my dipstick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.