Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while emptying my catch can I decided to pull off the engine cover to get a little more room to work. It was only about 50 degrees in my garage, and as I pulled the cover up there was a rush of hot air that came out having been trapped under the cover. This got me thinking, if the engine cover is insulating the top of the motor so much, would it be better to remove it or keep it on? I though the purpose of the cover was to provide a cleaner look/insulate noise/ and keep dust off of the coils and such? I had no idea it was holding in so much heat.
If removing it allowed more heat to escape from the top of the engine would that help things run cooler? Or would it just increase under hood temps? Anyone have thoughts on what might be best for performance?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Makes no difference either way. Heat soak is produced by the turbo, downpipe, radiator, engine block, all the plumbing from the coolant system, etc. When you're moving the heat is dissipated somewhat from the air flow thru the radiator. When you stop and park with the engine running and or shut off, it radiates upward (heat rises). It will simply make no difference.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't like them so I remove them when I get a car. It's for looks only.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am not speaking from any experience of removing the cover permanently. But could the cover, and the gap underneath it ensure that cooler air, which is being forced through the engine bay as you are driving along help to keep the top of the engine cooler (ie a designed engineered gap). It could also be (as mentioned above) just be away to keep things clean and make the engine bay look nice.
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts