Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
For comparisons sake if I wanted to get my wife's R/T tuned it would be about $1500. That's just to pick up maybe 10-15 hp, if I was lucky. My Speed was cheaper, but the Speed ECU was unlocked, and my tuner was one of my closest friends in the Speed community. $1500 isn't bad to have a true way to tune. I've been saying this for forever. I'd feel so much more at peace knowing I could just shoot them an email and get a revision for something that was going wrong instead of hoping that the car could adjust enough on it's own to fix a problem that may arise, or having to physically mail the entire ECU to get a reflash. I applaud them for this, and it's genuinely got me thinking about tuning my car even though I swore I'd keep it stock. I can't wait to see the power numbers they can eke out of this car now, and I'm really hopeful this leads to the production of other turbo kits besides the Pure one. I'd love to see some GTX turbos on these cars. I'd love to throw a GTX2871 on my car. Had one on my Speed for a while and absolutely loved the turbo whistle with it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you expect to be able to unlock the stock ECU at all so the EK1 can be used similiar to an accessport and just Flash tune?

Also with a spare ECU tune does it still send bluelink data to Hyundai so they can go in and look at boost/Afr parameters if you put the stock ECU back in for warranty? Or would they only see what the stock ECU recorded and sent to blue link?

Having to buy and replace ECUs is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
2020 RR PP
95 Posts
Buying and replacing an ECU is anecdotally much less of a pain in the ass than even installing a piggyback and swapping it out for dealership visits.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you expect to be able to unlock the stock ECU at all so the EK1 can be used similiar to an accessport and just Flash tune?

Also with a spare ECU tune does it still send bluelink data to Hyundai so they can go in and look at boost/Afr parameters if you put the stock ECU back in for warranty? Or would they only see what the stock ECU recorded and sent to blue link?

Having to buy and replace ECUs is a pain in the ass.
We are working on a solution for unlocking your own zip ECU at home.

Right now we can actually do it via bench, but this means you would have to pull your ECU out and connect our harness, then perform the unlock via a rental device.

We are working on making it available through OBD. This method would work something like this: Read ECU -> Apply unlock patch -> Send file to SXTH -> Receive tuned file back.

Bluelink currently does not send ECU parameters like that, only CELs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So the ECUs aren't hardware locked, just software locked?
The Veloster N uses a Continental SIM2K-250 ECU. This ECU has RSA encryption to prevent unauthorized file writing via OBD. We can bypass the RSA block by implementing a bench patch, but this requires that we have the ECU in hand here.

·
Registered
467 Posts
The Veloster N uses a Continental SIM2K-250 ECU. This ECU has RSA encryption to prevent unauthorized file writing via OBD. We can bypass the RSA block by implementing a bench patch, but this requires that we have the ECU in hand here.
Ah thats interesting! When I think of bench unlocking or bench tuning I think back to the old Honda days before hand held units, and think about soldering chips to a P28 ECU :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ah thats interesting! When I think of bench unlocking or bench tuning I think back to the old Honda days before hand held units, and think about soldering chips to a P28 ECU :ROFLMAO:
That is actually boot mode that you are thinking of. Our bench flash just connects to the OEM connector.

·
Registered
467 Posts
That is actually boot mode that you are thinking of. Our bench flash just connects to the OEM connector.
Right, we had to add the USB / Serial ports, and add entire boards to the ECUs (like a Kpro, or S300). Technology has come a long way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ah, I guess I'll hold off on a tune and buy the EK1 as soon as it's unlocked. Cars going away for winter soon so I might get a spare ECU tune in the meantime if I get impatient.

The reason I had said the bluelink stuff is a Hyundai tech was talking about how blue link was tracking and uploading boost/Afr and they are forced by Hyundai corporate to send that data in for large warranty claims which makes getting warranty with a tune hit or miss if the Hyundai tech checks the parameters at corporate before giving the go ahead for warranty work.

I don't know the technical details about that it was just some YouTube answer from a tech rebuilding an engine that got money shifted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ah, I guess I'll hold off on a tune and buy the EK1 as soon as it's unlocked. Cars going away for winter soon so I might get a spare ECU tune in the meantime if I get impatient.

The reason I had said the bluelink stuff is a Hyundai tech was talking about how blue link was tracking and uploading boost/Afr and they are forced by Hyundai corporate to send that data in for large warranty claims which makes getting warranty with a tune hit or miss if the Hyundai tech checks the parameters at corporate before giving the go ahead for warranty work.

I don't know the technical details about that it was just some YouTube answer from a tech rebuilding an engine that got money shifted.
Right now Bluelink will only transmit the codes themselves. It does have access to the CAN high and low networks, but isn't transmitting any data stream yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Right now Bluelink will only transmit the codes themselves. It does have access to the CAN high and low networks, but isn't transmitting any data stream yet.
That's good to know. I might just grab a tuned ecu then in the meantime and hope for unlocking soon so we can get maps directly to the ECU!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Spare ECU definitely makes things easier! We just finished up our new mappings with more linear, easier onset boost and a few new offerings with high boost ;)

41 - 54 of 54 Posts