Hyundai Veloster N Forum banner

Educate me on BOV vs BPV

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  RedVN 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm interested in possibly getting some sort of BOV for my VN, but I don't really understand enough about the types or benefits/drawbacks to make an informed decision at this point.

I know that defeating the factory recirc valve will void the warranty, but what I'm not sure of is will a BOV harm operation or reliability of the car in any way? Could there be any potential issue from installing a BOV on this platform, such as the engine running too rich due to MAF sensor readings?

I'm considering installing a BOV of some sort because I like the turbo sounds, but there are so many different types on the market that it's a little overwhelming...

#2 ·
I've owned 3 Hyundais and none of them have used a MAF sensor. On the VN in particular all the sensors that handle air flow metering are on the manifold or after the BOV, so you can vent to atmosphere safely. Basically, the computer doesn't know how much air is entering the system until it gets to the intake manifold, so anything you do to it prior to that point is fine. Hell, you could pull the cold pipe off the intercooler and the car would probably still run fine, just with much less power due to no boost.

I put a Sxth AV6 on my car a couple thousand miles ago and I've had zero issues. I love the sound of it but it's very sedate and polite by aftermarket standards which is what I wanted. If you want loud, look for one with a trumpet on the air outlet.

As for benefits/drawbacks, there really are none. It's a purely "cosmetic" modification in the sense that it's just there for your entertainment. It neither helps nor harms performance.

#3 ·
Gotcha, thanks for the heads up. I knew this car has a MAF sensor, but I don't know much about how it operates. I was looking at the sxth one, but it seems lots of others on this forum recommend either the boomba racing BOV or one of the GFB ones. I like the sounds, but at some point it might get on my nerves as you suggested since it is my daily driver haha.

#8 ·
Sorry I thought it did based on comments I read elsewhere, but I’m sure I was wrong. Apologies for making an incorrect or misleading statement.
Don't sweat it in the least. I was really pointing out the two MAP sensors used and hoping if you remembered the source of where you got the information you could correct them! The more accurate information we have on our platform, the better. That's how I see it.

#7 ·
There are a lot of bov that you can go recirculatory or atmospheric, they come with both set ups. I'm running the Forge on atmospheric. 3000+ miles no problem. As for the warranty. The dealership has to prove that the aftermarket part was a direct cause of the warrantied part that failed, and is being replaced. That would be really hard with a after market bov. After removing the stock one it joke, if you ever plan doing any modifications piggy back, tune, you should replace it.

#10 ·
No, there will be better throttle response and turbo recovery during shifts.
Hey all,

I'm interested in possibly getting some sort of BOV for my VN, but I don't really understand enough about the types or benefits/drawbacks to make an informed decision at this point.

I know that defeating the factory recirc valve will void the warranty, but what I'm not sure of is will a BOV harm operation or reliability of the car in any way? Could there be any potential issue from installing a BOV on this platform, such as the engine running too rich due to MAF sensor readings?

I'm considering installing a BOV of some sort because I like the turbo sounds, but there are so many different types on the market that it's a little overwhelming...
This will clarify the differences;

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.